Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trishala Raj Posts: 95, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2019, 07:50 PM
    Form 1116 tax credit
    Hi,

When I Use Form 1116, to get foreign credit should I take the Gross salary and rent or is it net?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 15, 2019, 09:49 PM
    Use the gross salary.

Use net rent.

You CANNOT claim rent and salary on the same Form 1116, because rent and salary are different types of income.
    Trishala Raj Posts: 95, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2019, 04:37 AM
    Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 16, 2019, 07:14 AM
    To be clear, for the salary, you need to file Form 1116 for "general" income, and for the rent, you need to file a separate Form 1116 for "passive" income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign tax credit (form 1116) - India property capital gains [ 3 Answers ]

India capital gain (on inherited property sale) was paid on basis of indexed cost at purchase, and at 20% rate. US tax is only 15%, and based on date of inheritance. Hence I have paid a significantly higher amount of tax in India, than the US would require. The capital gain tax paid in India was...

Can I file form 1116 without filing form 2555? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to claim the entire amount of foreign taxes paid as tax credit from form 1116, or does one first have to use the foreign income exclusion on form 2555 and then only apply the balance of foreign tax credit to income in excess of the excluded amount?

Form 1116, foreign tax credit, prorate standard deduction? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I need to fill two Forms 1116 Foreign Tax Credit, one for passive and one for general category income. When I get to line 3a, since I don't itemize deductions I need to place my standard deduction, which is 10900 for married filing jointly. My question is, do I need to prorate this...

Foreign Tax Credit Form 1116 [ 1 Answers ]

Over the past year I owned two Canadian oil royalty trusts which I sold in November. During that time I paid a total of $425 in taxes to Canada on the dividends. Anyone have an idea how to fill out form 1116? Looks very complicated. Or do you know of some source that has instructions for a...

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

View more questions Search