Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HRHjeremy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2019, 04:37 PM
    Help! Math word problem OMG!!!
    I have been trying to wrap my arms around this and the logic explanation just makes NO sense to me (specifically the bold text below)! Can anyone help me understand in a different way?

Question:
    Twice the price of a scooter is equal to thrice the price of a television. If the price of the scooter is 600$ more than the television, what is the price of the television?

Answers:
    A. 1800$
    B. 1500$
    C. 1200$ (This is the correct answer)
    D. 2400$

Logic explanation:
    Let prices of Scooter and Television be S and T respectively. Then 2S = 3T or S = (3/2)T. Now given that S = T+600, put value of S so that (3/2)T − T = 600 or T =1200$
    Garimma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2019, 08:29 AM
    Hi there! In your question they have tried to explain in a very straightforward method. Here's my explanation:
    Let's assume the prices of scooter to be $S and price of television to be $T.
    Now, it says in the question that twice the price of scooter ( which means $2S ) is equal to thrice the price of television (which means $3T). Putting the above sentence into an equation, we get: $2S=$3T. Taking the 2 from Left Hand Side(L.H.S.) to Right Hand Side(R.H.S.), we get: $S=(3/2)$T ( this equation means that the price of the scooter is equal to three second times of the price of television).
    It is mentioned in the question that the price of scooter is $600 more than that of television. Through this statement we can derive another equation: $S=$T+$600.
    In order to find out the price of the television, we substitute the value of $S as derived from the equation ($S=(3/2)$T) into the latter equation ($S=$T+600).
    On substituting the value of S, we get the equation: (3/2)$T=$T+600.(i have just replaced the value of S)
    On further solving, we get: (3/2)$T-$T=$600 (i have taken the $T from R.H.S. to L.H.S.
    Solving to the next step, we get: (1/2)$T=$600 (i have subtracted $T from (3/2)$T to get (1/2)$T)
    Next step, we get: $T=$1200 (i have take the (1/2) from L.H.S. to R.H.S., which means that the (1/2) will become 2 on R.H.S. and get multiplied to $600, making it $1200)
    That's how we get the price of the television.
    I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND THROUGH MY EXPLANATION. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO GO ABOUT THIS QUESTION. Thank You.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How me to my math word problem [ 0 Answers ]

Walt made an extra $7000 last year from a part-time job. He invested part of the money at 8% and the rest at 9%. He made a total of $600 in interest. How much did he invest at each rate?

Need help with a math word problem [ 1 Answers ]

A certain drug is made from only two ingredients: compound A and compound B. There are milliliters of compound A used for every milliliters of compound B. If a chemist uses milliliters of compound A, how many milliliters of the drug will be made?

MYy Math Word Problem [ 1 Answers ]

There's a tug-of-war contest between machines and Michael had tickets to watch. In the first contest two dump trucks and a sand transporter beat a cement mixer. In the second contest, one dump truck and two sand transporters lost to a bulldozer. Unfortunately, Michael didn't get to watch the final...

Math word problem [ 3 Answers ]

. At a diving competition, John's first dive received seven scores that averaged 8.0. To calculate his final score for the dive, the highest and lowest scores were removed and the average was then taken of the five remaining scores. If his final score was 7.7, what was the sum of the two removed...

Math word problem [ 3 Answers ]

Bill spent 2/5 of his $ on a coat and the remainder of his $ on 4 shirts. If each shirt cost the same amount, what fraction of his $ did he spend on each shirt?

View more questions Search