Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1Donald Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2019, 10:23 AM
    Electrical question.
    Electrical question.

I need to install 2 runs of #8 gauge VW-1 / THWN copper stranded wire 135 feet under ground in 3/4" PVC conduit to my outbuilding shed. With these two runs of #8 wire, with a 30 amp 220 breaker from the house end, to feed two - 20 amp single circuit's in my shed, just for lights and small 115v hand tools, what size of a unshielded copper ground wire do I need? The shed will have the 30amp breaker box, 120amp breakers and ground rod. In the shed, it won't be wired for 220, just single 120 breakers maybe 2 or 3 circuits. Thank you Don M.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 2, 2019, 06:44 AM
    Good morning Don,

Just for starters, you need to pull a four wire cable from the house to remote building. The ground wire will be in the cable,

Also, when you get the cable to the building and connect it t the panel board, you cannot bond Neutral and ground together, Remove the green screw from the secondary panelboard.

Your choice of wire size is marginal. #8 AWG wire will drop 2.5% volts over the 135 ft. That translates to a working voltage of 117 volts. A better choice would be #6 AWG. This size cable will only drop1.6 volts and get you a little higher working voltage at the end of the wire run,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical Question [ 5 Answers ]

If you were doing a home inspection, what would you say is wrong with these two photos?

Ask an electrical question [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use LED lamps in a regular security motion detector fixture?

Ask an electrical question? [ 1 Answers ]

I have just purchased a steam mop from the usa I live in the uk I also got a ac converter but the mop still dosen't work there is a green light on so there is power but it doesn't heat up. Can you tell me why this is

Electrical Question [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I have an electrical question. I have 2 lights I'm adding to a circuit. The circuit already has 4 lights all that are controlled by a single switch. I've branched off one of these lights to give power to 2 additional lights with 14/2. The 2 lights are each controlled by a single pole switch. ...

View more questions Search