Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vacuum7 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2019, 01:04 PM
    Renting And Working In One State While Family Lives In Home In Another State
    Hope someone can help me:

I will be renting and working in Georgia while my family will live in a purchased home in Florida: My question is this: Can I still deduct my home mortgage taxes from my yearly taxes? What will be considered my domicile?

Regards,
    Vacuum7
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 24, 2019, 02:50 PM
    You will file a Georgia tax return as a NON-resident of Georgia, but you will be responsible to pay Georgia income tax on the salary you earn while you are in Georgia.

Even though you will live temporarily in Georgia for work, you are still considered to be domiciled in Florida.

Yes, you WILL be able to deduct mortgage interest and real estate taxes for your home in Florida.
    Vacuum7 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2019, 06:01 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert,

Thank you so much! You provided needed relief to my wife and I....we have been agonizing over this for days and never could find anyone who confidently knew what the real score was about it! Thank You, again!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 24, 2019, 07:30 PM
    No problem!

If you need help with your tax return for 2019, please keep me in mind.

My email address is [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Live/work in the state CA while family lives in state MA [ 1 Answers ]

I am taking up a job in CA. My family will stay in MA for two years before joining me due to school reasons. Can I take tax deduction for the mortgage of my house in MA and rental expense of my apartment in CA for this period?

Resident and work in one state family lives in another [ 2 Answers ]

I live and work in Alaska where I am a resident but my family lives in Arizona do I have to pay taxes to Arizona

Can we buy the home we are renting if it's been forclosed in wa state? [ 5 Answers ]

We are renting a home that went into foreclosure. We sent in an offer but never heard back from the landlord of the bank. It has now been foreclosed and they said we must move out even though we want to buy it an have been prequalified. Their rep said we must move before they can sell to us. We...

Primary Residence - live/work in one state while family lives in another state [ 1 Answers ]

I jointly own a home in NY with my wife and this is our primary residence today. My wife is a home maker and does not go out for work. Recently I got a job with a company in Massachussettes. We decided to buy a condo near work in Massachussettes where I would live 4 days a week and come home to my...

Renting a home owned in one state while residing in another [ 4 Answers ]

I own a home in Nevada but will be setting up residency in another state. I want to rent the home in Nevada. What are the ramifications or issues I need to be aware of? Thank you.

View more questions Search