Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackie-in-flatrock Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2019, 05:34 AM
    can I re-fasten copper pipes to drywall with steel retainers?
    just bought a house, all copper plumbing. the wall pipes to the valves at the washing machine are supported insufficiently. They have sagged and pulled the straps off the wall, which were too small to wrap completely. Is it ok to re-fasten the pipes to the drywall using steel pipe holders? It's what I had available, but something says I need to use copper straps. Also, one of the valves to the laundry tub on the same supply is pressed firmly against the wall, can't even turn the knob. How can I safely rectify that without re-doing the line? hoping there's an easy way. Thanks! kind of overwhelmed with all of the little things I'm finding wrong with my new-to-me house.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 24, 2019, 03:36 PM
    Hi J-I-F

Copper straps are definitely better here...your friend was correct. I would need a picture of the valve in question to advise best...

MArk
    Specter1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2019, 07:31 PM
    Never mix dissimilar metals. Copper contacting steel will cause galvanic corrosion and will eventually cause a leak. Loosen whatever is securing the supply line to the wash tub to the wall and either install blocking to hold the pipe off of the wall or install a different type of valve.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 24, 2019, 10:33 PM
    You can also use combination of U-Channel with Cushioned clamps

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find a single copper water pipe in a group of copper pipes. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I just bought a house with two apartments in a 2 story home. Apartment 1 is downstairs and apartment 2 is upstairs. I have separate water meters for each. I have separate water heaters for each. The water heaters and meters are in the basement. I just found out that somewhere in the house the...

What is carbon steel pipes and its edge to black iron pipes [ 0 Answers ]

I have problem choosing the kind of pipes for heating purposes.

Copper or Stainless Steel? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting a new refrigerator - which is best for the ice maker's water line - copper or stainless steel (they both are the same price at Best Buy)? Thanks in advance!

Copper pipes to cpvc: still ground the old copper? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there... again... I have two copper stub outs that come into my garage, one the cold water in, which goes to my waterheater, and one hot water out, to the rest of the house, underground (slab construction). I will be re-plumbing my water heater and adding a bathroom from these lines, but I...

View more questions Search