Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 07:41 AM
    No that's YOUR problem, THE problem is the homicidal maniacs preying on the innocent.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2019, 08:00 AM
    THE problem is the homicidal maniacs preying on the innocent.
    OK. I'd still like to know why you think that has become so wide spread now versus fifty years ago. What changed???
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 09:01 AM
    No student is forbidden from praying in school. All that student has to do is close his eyes and say a prayer in his thoughts to his god. His religious instruction is up to his parents and his pastor/priest/rabbi/imam/holy man.

As for preventing the mentally ill from buying guns, that term "mentally ill" is very misleading. Consider that wonderful guy who has life all figured out, is on his way to success and happiness, but then his girlfriend, influenced by ?, dumps him in a most shameful way. He is boiling over with anger and sinking into depression. He grabs his AR-15 and and goes looking for her to teach her and her family or friends a thing or two.

How many of the 2019 shooters and mass murderers were mentally ill with a history of psychiatric help or in-patient care?
    Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 09:11 AM
    Widespread? I don't know, happening way to often for anyones sense of security on that I can agree, but in numbers a vey small part of the population and they all don't fit the same mold. There is the homicidal loony, and the abject criminal. Both are terrorists in the same mold and using the same tactics as ISIS or any other known group of such ilk.

No secret the advance in technology has allowed the spread of loony and crimal ideas and as those with bad intent network, they feed the sickness to each other and feed off each other. They don't care about the consequences of thier actions, nor the havoc they reek on others because that's their GOAL, and that is what makes them evil in my book. Maybe some are desperate, young is what I put into that category, just sheep to be lead by a bad shepherd who needs a flock for his own selfish agenda and as such these people have been ingrained in our societies in some for or another since man came to earth. Some can be redeemed, some cannot, but it's the ability to be influenced or lead astray that's at the heart of it I think, and that is squarely at the feet of the technology that enables it, not the TV or video games as some might profess, but specifically those who use the technology for that purpose of finding and interacting with that evil that has always been a part of the nature of man, some decidedly more than others.

I got no problem with those who wish to save souls and find the good path, but you must acknowledge some humans search for the lesser path, so while you save souls stop passing out guns like they are candy. To your point though about it being more widespread, if it were it's not just the lone loon perpetrating mayhem it would be an army of them and that's a different evil, more pervasive and of more CRIMINALLY oriented.

Let's face it, it doesn't take a huge army of loons and criminals to prey on the innocent, just a small group or even one. Seems in addition to identifying those folks and giving someone the tools to do so, eliminating the means for those folks to organize and carryout their ends is a must! I just don't think a bible study or just prayers accomplishes that. Be nice though if people of good conscious would come together and deal with the root causes of such folks. As long as the good people are divided, we can never be a force to overcome the evil amongst us. We must do MORE than huddle in a group and just pray about it. That's just my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    No student is forbidden from praying in school. All that student has to do is close his eyes and say a prayer in his thoughts to his god. His religious instruction is up to his parents and his pastor/priest/rabbi/imam/holy man.

As for preventing the mentally ill from buying guns, that term "mentally ill" is very misleading. Consider that wonderful guy who has life all figured out, is on his way to success and happiness, but then his girlfriend, influenced by ?, dumps him in a most shameful way. He is boiling over with anger and sinking into depression. He grabs his AR-15 and and goes looking for her to teach her and her family or friends a thing or two.

How many of the 2019 shooters and mass murderers were mentally ill with a history of psychiatric help or in-patient care?
    Or unreported abhorrent behavior that went untreated.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2019, 10:46 AM
    He grabs his AR-15
    Far, far more likely he grabs a handgun. Rifles account for only a small percentage of gun deaths.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Far, far more likely he grabs a handgun. Rifles account for only a small percentage of gun deaths.
    How many of the 2019 mass shootings so far have been done with a handgun?
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2019, 11:05 AM
    Read carefully. "Rifles account for only a small percentage of gun deaths." That is not a reference to mass shootings.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 PM
    Read carefully. "Rifles account for only a small percentage of gun deaths." That is not a reference to mass shootings.
    The topic at hand is mass shootings.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2019, 01:17 PM
    The topic at hand is mass shootings.
    The topic at hand is gun control relative to violent gun crimes. But that's fine. I could actually go with some controls on so called "assault weapons", but every conservative knows that most gun control liberals, such as you for instance, want to have much stricter controls, so that fact makes any kind of compromise a real problem.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 01:23 PM
    The topic at hand is gun control relative to violent gun crimes. But that's fine. I could actually go with some controls on so called "assault weapons", but every conservative knows that most gun control liberals, such as you for instance, want to have much stricter controls, so that fact makes any kind of compromise a real problem.
    Why always the unnecessary putdown?

There is absolutely NO NEED for assault weapons. They should all vaporize by midnight.
    Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 01:47 PM
    Obviously that rifle is as easy to get as a handgun, and the weapon of choice for young loonies who want to kill as many people as they can. What useful purpose does such a weapon have except to kill as many people as possible? Even those hand guns and their high capacity magazines serve that same purpose don't they? Of what use are those high capacity magazines except to kill as many people as possible before reloading and killing some more so in combination are the weapon of choice for mass murderers.

I don't know what stricter gun controls liberals want that conservative want other than a ban on assault weapons except for the military so you can explain the difference to this liberal JL.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2019, 02:10 PM
    Why always the unnecessary putdown?
    It was not intended to be a putdown. I was simply pointing out that you have posted here before that you would like to see all guns done away with.

Tal's post is a perfect example. "What useful purpose does such a weapon have except to kill as many people as possible? Even those hand guns and their high capacity magazines serve that same purpose don't they? Of what use are those high capacity magazines except to kill as many people as possible before reloading and killing some more so in combination are the weapon of choice for mass murderers."

So you see what I mean? In addition to doing away with assault weapons, he wants to do away with at least some handguns.

I don't know what stricter gun controls liberals want that conservative want other than a ban on assault weapons except for the military so you can explain the difference to this liberal JL.
    Just look at your post above and you can plainly see it. For an even better example, look at the city of Chicago.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2019, 02:19 PM
    If you are working at a Burger King for, let's say, 9 an hour, and you move to a chicken processing plant for 11.25, then you just received a 25% wage increase. Bear in mind that moving from a fast food place to a chicken plant was the topic.

You've been locked up in that library too long.
    In this example, a 25% raise is a whole 'nother animal from a 25% wage increase!!!

And then the personal put-down. That's why I rarely post here anymore.
    In that example, it is a 25% wage increase, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

It was not meant to be a putdown; it was meant to be a joke. My apologies if it was offensive. I do wish we had some emojis on this board.
    Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 02:28 PM
    So you see what I mean? In addition to doing away with assault weapons, he wants to do away with at least some handguns.
    You cool with banning the sale of assault weapons and HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES? What about comprehensive and THOROUGH background checks or age limits maybe with a responsible SPONSOR?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 02:29 PM
    It was not intended to be a putdown. I was simply pointing out that you have posted here before that you would like to see all guns done away with.
    You cannot stick to just arguing a topic, but always have to drag in a negative comment about whoever posted it. E.g, "most gun control liberals, such as you for instance"
    Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 02:34 PM
    In that example, it is a 25% wage increase, so I have no idea what you are talking about.
    An extra $16 bucks a day and 90 bucks a week, 4300 bucks a year is better than nothing but hardly the way out of poverty, but with some overtime...?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 03:10 PM

It was not meant to be a putdown; it was meant to be a joke. My apologies if it was offensive. I do wish we had some emojis on this board.
    You had originally said in #32, "Most people would consider a 25% raise to be a real step up. They are both respectable jobs for working people trying to make a living." Then you called it a 25% wage increase. Two different animals, especially for the chicken-hanger-to-burger-flipper-factory example you were going on.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2019, 03:36 PM
    You had originally said in #32, "Most people would consider a 25% raise to be a real step up. They are both respectable jobs for working people trying to make a living." Then you called it a 25% wage increase. Two different animals, especially for the chicken-hanger-to-burger-flipper-factory example you were going on.
    How is a raise different from a wage increase? In the end, doesn't it amount to the same thing?

An extra $16 bucks a day and 90 bucks a week, 4300 bucks a year is better than nothing but hardly the way out of poverty, but with some overtime...?
    About 350 dollars a month, and if two are working, then 700 a month. That can buy a modest house around here. It might not be a big deal to you, but for most poorer folks, being able to buy a house is HUGE!! Personally, I'd LOVE to get an extra 350 a month.
    Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    You cool with banning the sale of assault weapons and HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES? What about comprehensive and THOROUGH background checks or age limits maybe with a responsible SPONSOR?
    Well?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 03:57 PM
    How is a raise different from a wage increase? In the end, doesn't it amount to the same thing?
    Wage increase because of change to a different job, especially in a different department or company.
    Raise while working at the same job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HR 615 (Should Congress and Senators have to take the same plan?) [ 13 Answers ]

Subject : HR 615 - On Tuesday, the Senate health committee voted 12-11 in favor of a two-page amendment, courtesy of Republican Tom Coburn which would require all Members of Congress and their staff members to enroll in any new government-run health plan. Congressman John Fleming...

A query about senators from opposite parties [ 3 Answers ]

Hey everybody! I'm Eliyahu from Israel, admiring from afar the political process in the US. We have a lot to learn from you on democratic political culture. I was wondering if you have any name for a situation when a state is represented on the Senate by senators from the opposite parties,...

More SCOTUS decisions [ 24 Answers ]

Chief Justice Roberts said, "The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race." Wasn't that refreshing? Clarence Thomas added, "What was wrong in 1954 cannot be right today... The plans before us base school assignment decisions on students'...

View more questions Search