Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 20, 2019, 10:39 AM
    Not biased at all, it's just the effect of big city dems surrounded by god and gun conservatives that ruins things. Everybody knows where to get a gun cheap for bad intentions....legally and illegally. I figure if you guys stop selling guns to criminals and loonies, we may not have all those murders in big cities.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2019, 10:45 AM
    Not biased at all, it's just the effect of big city dems surrounded by god and gun conservatives that ruins things.
    Always someone else's fault.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 20, 2019, 10:53 AM
    Tal -- I figure if you guys stop selling guns to criminals and loonies, we may not have all those murders in big cities. Not biased at all, it's just the effect of big city dems surrounded by god and gun conservatives that ruins things.
    JL -- Always someone else's fault.
    Tal, sounds like a great idea! Let's give it a try. Six months should give us a rough estimate of success.
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2019, 11:13 AM
    Tal, sounds like a great idea! Let's give it a try. Six months should give us a rough estimate of success.
    Uhm...you do realize that selling a gun to a convicted criminal is already a crime? As to loonies, how do you propose to unseal their confidential medical records??

Might add, what do you propose to do about the guns already in Chicago despite your strict gun laws???
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 20, 2019, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Uhm...you do realize that selling a gun to a convicted criminal is already a crime? As to loonies, how do you propose to unseal their confidential medical records??

Might add, what do you propose to do about the guns already in Chicago despite your strict gun laws???
    Huh? That's not the plan. Please reread.
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2019, 12:52 PM
    I figure if you guys stop selling guns to criminals and loonies
    Wasn't that the plan? Stop selling guns to criminals and loonies? Wasn't that what I referred to?
    Expert

Aug 20, 2019, 04:37 PM
    What's your plan? Probably NADA! Just like the dufus and his god and gun supporters. See ya at the next massacre!
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2019, 05:48 PM
    What's your plan? Probably NADA! Just like the dufus and his god and gun supporters. See ya at the next massacre!
    I don't have a plan as such. I don't feel too badly about that since you don't either. I'm not convinced the usual truckload of new laws will help. I think a national return to respect for life would be a good start. I think us asking ourselves how it is that boys used to have guns in their pickup trucks at school and yet no one even thought about shooting up the place would be another good step. What has changed over the last fifty years? How is it that a person used to be able to buy a gun out of the Sears catalog and yet didn't go to work or a movie theater and kill people with it? When we get some answers to those questions, we'll be on the way to solving our national problem.
    Specter1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Aug 20, 2019, 06:33 PM
    I still favor open carry of firearms for every law abiding citizen. Random loonies or petty thieves are far less likely to shoot up a place when they know their intended victims can shoot back. 45 states currently allow open carry, with 30 requiring no permit and with 15 requiring a permit. The 5 hold-outs are NY, IL, SC, FL, and CA. Proposed legislation has been filed with the SC legislature to allow it here and the odds look good that it will pass this legislative session.

https://opencarry.org/maps/map-open-...oaded-handgun/
    Specter1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Aug 20, 2019, 07:00 PM
    Athos said "I read something almost word for word from the Wall Street Journal. Shouldn't you cite that publication? Still not sure about the rules here about that."

IMHO every quote should be enclosed in quotation marks and the source should be cited and if it isn't a requirement then it should be.
    Expert

Aug 20, 2019, 07:13 PM
    I don't have a plan as such. I don't feel too badly about that since you don't either. I'm not convinced the usual truckload of new laws will help. I think a national return to respect for life would be a good start. I think us asking ourselves how it is that boys used to have guns in their pickup trucks at school and yet no one even thought about shooting up the place would be another good step. What has changed over the last fifty years? How is it that a person used to be able to buy a gun out of the Sears catalog and yet didn't go to work or a movie theater and kill people with it? When we get some answers to those questions, we'll be on the way to solving our national problem.
    Obviously those days are gone and I doubt they come back. I had a plan, stop selling guns...without a rigorous background check of both buyer and seller, no hold barred. That means however long it takes, and whatever info is needed to insure the public safety. I frankly don't give a damn about rights and traditions either in light of all the carnage and death, and I doubt you would care much if YOU and YOURS were victims. That could happen so think of a good idea because those loonies and psycho paths are evil, and no plan is not an option.

Back in the days of the wild west, bad guys waited in ambush to get the drop on their victims, and that's what we have now.
    Expert

Aug 20, 2019, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Specter1 View Post
    I still favor open carry of firearms for every law abiding citizen. Random loonies or petty thieves are far less likely to shoot up a place when they know their intended victims can shoot back. 45 states currently allow open carry, with 30 requiring no permit and with 15 requiring a permit. The 5 hold-outs are NY, IL, SC, FL, and CA. Proposed legislation has been filed with the SC legislature to allow it here and the odds look good that it will pass this legislative session.

https://opencarry.org/maps/map-open-...oaded-handgun/
    There are more guns than citizens and not all of them want you and your gun in there establishment. Homicidal maniacs aren't that dumb to target well guarded venues, and as I said they pick sitting ducks and soft targets, and there are a lot of those. Guess we just stay home and hope the pizza guy is not a loon. With 45 states and more coming for open carry, doesn't seem to stop the carnage, and heaven forbid some armed innocent reacting to gunfire, get caught up in mistaken identity when the cops show up.

How do you tell the good guys from the bad in such a case? An idea, but hardly perfect.
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2019, 07:24 PM
    I had a plan, stop selling guns...without a rigorous background check of both buyer and seller, no hold barred. That means however long it takes, and whatever info is needed to insure the public safety.
    That's not the "plan" you posted earlier which was to stop selling guns to criminals and "loonies". I'm fairly sure you already cannot buy a gun if you are a convicted felon. As to the mentally unstable, you will have to go around the wall of medical confidentiality and I don't know an answer to that one. I think you have some good points, but we still need to figure out why we have had such drastic social changes in the past fifty years. How have we gotten to this place?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 20, 2019, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    How do you tell the good guys from the bad in such a case? An idea, but hardly perfect.
    Exactly! And how many innocent bystanders will the "good guy" shoot while trying to hit the bad guy?
    Expert

Aug 20, 2019, 08:34 PM
    That's not the "plan" you posted earlier which was to stop selling guns to criminals and "loonies". I'm fairly sure you already cannot buy a gun if you are a convicted felon. As to the mentally unstable, you will have to go around the wall of medical confidentiality and I don't know an answer to that one. I think you have some good points, but we still need to figure out why we have had such drastic social changes in the past fifty years. How have we gotten to this place?
    Maybe it's something in the water, food, or air I don't know, but I do know that my plan starts with figuring out who the good guys are and who the bad guys are and who the sick guys are before you sell them a gun. Hey you want a gun, give up them doctor reports by signing a waiver, taking a test, get checked whatever it takes.

A complete thorough background check. I have other ideas, probably wont be that popular with some, since trust of the government and cops ain't that high and you know Americans, they think they know best, but part of protecting the citizen may involve knowing who has what, not to confiscate, but verify your a good guy and not on some good prescription dope, or even the non prescription stuff. Employers and the military have such screening, so should everyone who wants a gun.

When you figure out the why of it let me know, and if you have ideas and solutions I'm open to that too. Good luck getting the bad guys to obey the law, they ain't, and better luck making them go to church and read the bible and behave themselves.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2019, 12:42 AM
    my plan starts with figuring out who the good guys are and who the bad guys are and who the sick guys are before you sell them a gun. Hey you want a gun, give up them doctor reports by signing a waiver, taking a test, get checked whatever it takes.
    I would agree that something needs to be done to prevent mentally ill persons from having access to guns.

When you figure out the why of it let me know, and if you have ideas and solutions I'm open to that too. Good luck getting the bad guys to obey the law, they ain't, and better luck making them go to church and read the bible and behave themselves.
    You make a lot of good points. I'll give you my two cents for what it's worth. Actions have consequences. When we removed prayer and the Ten Commandments from schools, it sent a message to the next generation. "We don't need God to run this place." That message has been gathering steam ever since then. We think we can make up our own moral values without any input from "above". Well, people listen to these messages, so when a mentally unbalanced person, or an angry young person, or whoever decides to take a particular course of action, the anchor that used to hold them back is no longer there. The result is predictable, and having rejected any objective moral standard, they would ask us, "Who are you to tell me that what I did was wrong?" And if we are going to be honest, this God-rejecting country would have to admit that we no longer have a transcendent moral standard to appeal to. And then you throw in the 73 abortion decision which told us that life is so cheap that the most innocent and defenseless among us can be brutally killed on any whim or pretense, then we grow ever closer to "every man for himself."
    Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 06:29 AM
    Actions do have consequences and you cannot escape the fact that this country as a whole has not lived up to its own moral values defined as all men being equal, let alone embrace the humanity of their fellow citizens. You want school prayer, then you should be at a religious school. Public school should not embrace any one religion over another or one tradition over another. That's a choice a parent makes, without a group making it for them. Just my 2 cents on that subject.

I think you miss the fact it only takes one loony radicalized in extreme ideology based in hate and mayhem to create havoc and fear in the life MANY others. No amount of school prayer will change that, so the problem as I see it is in that small band that embraces the evil of hate. I doesn't take much to feed the bad wolf when he already is looking to do bad stuff. The trick is I think denying that small band the means to carry out that mayhem and identifying them before they do. I simply say we start when they look for the tools to reek havoc, and nip that bud.

99% of folks are not so prone to be homicidal maniacs, bot you cannot ignore that 1% that is either, or the sheeple that flock to them. Hey all I got is applying the same standard the army does before they give a recruit a gun.

PS

I don't think the country has rejected God, just become very selective in who and how they follow that God.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2019, 06:39 AM
    Actions do have consequences and you cannot escape the fact that this country as a whole has not lived up to its own moral values defined as all men being equal, let alone embrace the humanity of their fellow citizens. You want school prayer, then you should be at a religious school. Public school should not embrace any one religion over another or one tradition over another. That's a choice a parent makes, without a group making it for them. Just my 2 cents on that subject.
    I don't know that I would call for prayer in school, but you can't escape the impact it must have made when we told schoolchildren that we would no longer be praying. A person can choose his own opinion, but he cannot choose his consequences. One of life's brutal truths.

How do you explain the events of the past fifty years as regards our ever increasing willingness to shoot the place up?

As far as all men being equal, I don't agree with you on that. I think we have largely achieved an equality before law. Not perfectly, and that will never happen, but close enough so that any person who wants to make it can do so. If you don't believe that, then you have to explain Ben Carson, Barack Obama, Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, Oprah Winfrey, Jackie Robinson, Michael Jordan, Denzell Washington, and a list that goes on and on.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2019, 06:39 AM
    I don't think the country has rejected God, just become very selective in who and how they follow that God.
    What does it take to be an ostrich?
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2019, 06:52 AM
    just become very selective in who and how they follow that God.
    That's the problem. God does not ask us how we wish to follow Him. He sets the standards, and we can either accept or reject them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HR 615 (Should Congress and Senators have to take the same plan?) [ 13 Answers ]

Subject : HR 615 - On Tuesday, the Senate health committee voted 12-11 in favor of a two-page amendment, courtesy of Republican Tom Coburn which would require all Members of Congress and their staff members to enroll in any new government-run health plan. Congressman John Fleming...

A query about senators from opposite parties [ 3 Answers ]

Hey everybody! I'm Eliyahu from Israel, admiring from afar the political process in the US. We have a lot to learn from you on democratic political culture. I was wondering if you have any name for a situation when a state is represented on the Senate by senators from the opposite parties,...

More SCOTUS decisions [ 24 Answers ]

Chief Justice Roberts said, "The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race." Wasn't that refreshing? Clarence Thomas added, "What was wrong in 1954 cannot be right today... The plans before us base school assignment decisions on students'...

View more questions Search