Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2019, 03:10 AM
    Not at all if they can afford it, and that's up to them, but as I said what we do here is up to us. and we have the technology to greatly scale up our own energy needs with clean energy.
    so called clean energy is heavily subsidized . SCOTUS decided that the emperor's rules exceeded the Clean Air Act mandates. So Trump's rules which achieve the same goals without killing the coal industry is the only game in town .Without it there is a regulatory vacuum. The emperor's rules are not coming back . Coal is losing in the market to natural gas .However ,the industry is investing in clean coal technology with the goal of reducing the cost to implement .The emperor's rule would've stopped that investment .

The ocean has risen and fallen many times in the history of this planet
    and the climate has changed from cold to hot and back many times. Only the cold periods were existential threats . Warming periods were eras of explosion of life. Look at humans . During the middle ages ,humans were almost as tall as they are today . But by the 1700s humans had lost
    2.5 inches of height during the Little Ice Age. It took until the mid-20th century for humans to grow back to where they were in the 1400s
    https://news.osu.edu/men-from-early-...-modern-people
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2019, 03:39 AM
    Tom you are speaking reality, a message noone wants to hear
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2019, 05:59 AM
    Yep. "Clean energy" is largely a pipe dream. Hydro works, but those resources have been just about maxed out. Solar and wind are not dependable enough other than in a very few areas, and even then not 100% reliable. No one wants a nuke reactor in their back yard. So it comes down to figuring out how to use fossil fuels in a cleaner fashion. That is going to take a while.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 17, 2019, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Yep. "Clean energy" is largely a pipe dream. Hydro works, but those resources have been just about maxed out. Solar and wind are not dependable enough other than in a very few areas, and even then not 100% reliable. No one wants a nuke reactor in their back yard. So it comes down to figuring out how to use fossil fuels in a cleaner fashion. That is going to take a while.
    I can somewhat agree, but have to add the real problem is costs, and limited resources to mitigate those costs. It always comes down to that and while the SCOTUS decision Tom sites saved the coal industry billions, it does nothing but shift those costs to consumers, and not just in energy costs, but the human costs in health as well. Just my opinion, but the EPA under this dufus is a scandal ridden joke, who shills for the industry and not only doesn't address the problem, but adds to it.

Short term profits for long term problems is not a solution.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2019, 06:42 AM
    If increasing costs is the really big concern, then solar and wind are not the answers. They are much less cost-effective than natural gas.
    Expert

Aug 17, 2019, 06:59 AM
    Depends on the region as you say, and your long term plan. You can get a tax break from solar panels on your house, but won't see a monetary return on the investment for years. It makes more sense to invest in wind and solar as a longer term strategy to supplement your primary sources, but it's like any investment, a trade off between short term investments to get a longer term solution. I always use the example of my state. Having big oil reserves, but also investing in wind farms of which we have a lot of those as well as gas and solar. Works for us here but every region has it's own challenges.

Might even help some kids asthma.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2019, 07:03 AM
    You can get a tax break from solar panels on your house,
    That does not decrease costs, it only transfers the cost to someone else and ultimately means a fed government even deeper in debt than it is now.

Solar and wind both have the problem of reliability. That means you must have "stand by" capabilities with conventional plants, all of which runs up the cost even higher.
    Expert

Aug 17, 2019, 07:29 AM
    Didn't say it's not complicated, but when the wind is blowing, or the sun is out, or the water flows, you loose less coal, or less whatever your primary energy is. See it as a back up, or supplement for now, but like anything else, if you can't afford the investment then you slog along and pay your bills and hope there is no emergency, or can expect no return later.

The other factor in this equation, and the main one is does the coal fired plant that supplies your region with power want to invest in alternative energy? Or alternative ways to deal with the waste products that are POISON to humans? It represents a cost to them either way, that they pass to consumers to keep their bottom lines viable.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2019, 09:03 AM
    Didn't say it's not complicated, but when the wind is blowing, or the sun is out, or the water flows, you loose less coal, or less whatever your primary energy is. See it as a back up, or supplement for now,
    Yes, that is true, but the problem is that you are having to pay for TWO kinds of power plants (for instance natural gas and solar) when one of them is really not needed just from the perspective of producing enough power. So we can do as you have suggested, but electrical bills will be going up a lot as a result of building so much surplus capacity. And while you and I can afford that, it is tough on poor people. And no, the 23 tril in debt fed government cannot pay their bills for them.
    Expert

Aug 17, 2019, 09:46 AM
    That may be true, but it's a decision power companies make, not you or I, based on their own data, which is based on feasibility, and profitability as indeed a windfarm where there is none is hardly feasible. Consumers pay for it but if it's profitable the power companies will do it. If they don't have to install scrubbers or any other technology to safeguard your air, water, or soil they wont. If they don't have to clean up their messes, they won't. That part is simple.

Texas can afford to invest in windfarms to cut the costs of using coal, MS maybe doesn't have the wind or sun that we have so it isn't feasible, but you have natural gas as a SUPPLEMENT. They sure don't feel responsible for your kids, or your grandkids, or even YOUR asthma though because they didn't install a scrubber to the power plant, nor will they pay for bottled water after your water source is fouled.

You pay for that yourself so enjoy your lights they provide you.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2019, 07:21 PM
    That may be true, but it's a decision power companies make, not you or I, based on their own data, which is based on feasibility, and profitability as indeed a windfarm where there is none is hardly feasible. Consumers pay for it but if it's profitable the power companies will do it. If they don't have to install scrubbers or any other technology to safeguard your air, water, or soil they wont. If they don't have to clean up their messes, they won't. That part is simple.

Texas can afford to invest in windfarms to cut the costs of using coal, MS maybe doesn't have the wind or sun that we have so it isn't feasible, but you have natural gas as a SUPPLEMENT. They sure don't feel responsible for your kids, or your grandkids, or even YOUR asthma though because they didn't install a scrubber to the power plant, nor will they pay for bottled water after your water source is fouled.
    No one would invest in solar or wind if not for fed subsidies. And in the meantime, the fed debt grows ever higher and higher.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2019, 08:04 PM
    but the human costs in health as well.
    that's because you buy into the SCOTUS nonsense that C02 is a pollutant that the EPA can regulate . You are living in the past Face the facts ,you kill the coal industry in the US the rest of the world will still use it as a energy source . It is in everyone's interest to continue to develop CCT . You are not concerned about the price to the consumer . Let's say it results in higher costs . Then there is your incentive to have your green energy compete in the market . (btw the only chance so called green energy is competitive is with heavy subsidies so who are you fooling ? )
    Expert

Aug 17, 2019, 08:27 PM
    Coal is subsidized too, so what?
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2019, 05:50 AM
    Coal is subsidized too, so what?
    How is coal subsidized??
    Expert

Aug 18, 2019, 07:46 AM
    How is coal subsidized? LMGTFY. Saves me a lot of typing?
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2019, 12:24 PM
    How is coal subsidized? LMGTFY. Saves me a lot of typing?
    In other words, you have no idea. However, perhaps we could agree that the government remove all subsidies from the energy sector. That would be one small step to reducing the budget deficit.
    Expert

Aug 18, 2019, 12:32 PM
    I looked it up, why can't you? Come on my friend, why do I have to do all the work, and likely you will blast me for it or dismiss the data or accuse me of making stuff up. You don't like my facts go get your own so I can do some blasting around here and YOU can do the ducking! If you want to that is.
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2019, 12:53 PM
    I looked it up, why can't you? Come on my friend, why do I have to do all the work, and likely you will blast me for it or dismiss the data or accuse me of making stuff up.
    You made the allegation, so you need to back it up. I try to never ask other people to verify what I say is true. I think that's my job.
    Expert

Aug 18, 2019, 04:27 PM
    It was no allegation, just a statement of fact, easily verified.
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2019, 05:30 PM
    It was no allegation, just a statement of fact, easily verified.
    Yeah. So easy you can't do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I just moved into an apartment in the carpet wasn't cleaned before I moved in [ 4 Answers ]

My landlord said she is only cleaning the three room not four because of the special deal she got from the carpet cleaning company three room special can she do that am I responsiable for the other room

If a person on parole moved to my address then moved out doesn't the PO have to verify [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know if my address is still being used and why this hasn't been verified by the PO its been a month

WWE - What is the reality? [ 7 Answers ]

I am from India and here the name of KHALI is taken with great respect and there are even songs being sung in praise of him, saying the Indian Loin is giving the English and American wrestlers a run for their money, while I think that this fight is all fictional, while people argue that he is...

Reality of breaking NC [ 21 Answers ]

It'd been 8 days of NC before she created another FB account (I'd blocked her proper one) thanking me for writing her a cv & covering letter as she'd now got the job she really wanted (this was written by me pre breakup) and would I like to meet for coffee... Now me being the novice (&...

The what if or reality ? [ 2 Answers ]

So this is the question that's been killing me the most... my and my boyfriend have been tog for a while now... I was pregnant but recently found out that I had a miscarriage.. very heart breaking to me but yet I can not feel that same emotion from him.. he already wanted the pregency terminated,...

View more questions Search