Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jlcook00 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2019, 06:33 PM
    Help With A Career Decision!
    Hello, my name is James and I currently work has a HVAC tech making decent money I'm looking into changing career paths and have began my journey in doing so. I have been offered two positions in the same company. One is a machinist job and one is a production job. This leads me to the big question.
    I am 21 and will be getting married in a couple years so I'm really looking to build my career. I'm looking to get my associates in electronic engineering because I really enjoy that field and want to build a longterm future in the field. This is where my problem is, if I take the machinist job I'll be getting starting pay a little better than what I'm making now but the problem is I'll be going into a field not related to what I want to go to school for. If I take the production job it can lead me towards what I want to do in my future but along with it comes a decent pay cut of at least 4-5 dollars per hour starting out and will last for a minimum of 4 months. I've already done the math and know I can afford the pay cut its just a hard choice. I really want to take the career path I enjoy and want to go to school for but it will include a pay cut and extra time to build the career to where I want to be.
    What do yal think and what would be your advice?
    Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2019, 07:06 PM
    If you do not follow what you "want" to do, you will never have a chance as you marry, have kids, buy houses and the such, to take lower paying jobs. So if one path is what you want. If you have a serious girl friend, esp if you are living together, disucss it with her also.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 1, 2019, 09:55 AM
    I've always put need as a priority for such huge life changing decisions, but marriage in two years would require you and your future wife to collaborate on the best path to take, as my experience is that wives can have career ambitions too, or family planning ideas of their own and that will be the biggest factor.

Unless you have a female in mind or dating her, it's hard not to go with the opportunity to grow your bank account and secure your circumstances until you do reach that decision. You never know what those 21 year old feelings, hopes, and dreams, will be like when you're 25, and a few babies will certainly change things.

It can take years to build a career you want, often people change careers and goals multiple times before they find what they want. LOL, I would take the money and go to school, and see what my options are after I got that degree.

Aug 1, 2019, 09:59 AM
    I see I forgot to memtion, after the 4 months I will be eligible to take the other job again if things don't work out with the pay cut. Would this sway your decision? I definitely should have mentioned that above!

Sent from my HTCD160LVWPP using Tapatalk
    Expert

Aug 1, 2019, 10:15 AM
    What about the future wife? What does she say or is there such a female in the picture? Let me get a clear picture, the 4 month pay cut and schooling still leaves you the machinists option? An associates degree in 4 months? Is my understanding correct?

Aug 1, 2019, 10:56 AM
    Okay I'll clear a few things up, the girl in my life is my girlfriend of 5 years and soon to be fiance, both jobs are with the same company and the production job in which is more in line with the field I want to be in and study. The production job comes with a pay cut of which will last a minimum of 4 months before I can get a promotion. They promote pretty quickly if you are interested in climbing the ladder. (know so from brother who works there) So within 4-8 or so months I should definitely get a promotion in the field I want to be in or worst case scenario if no opening come available I can go to plan B and be a machinist since they are always hiring that position.
    When it comes to schooling I will beggining this fall and its a 2 year associates program. I really want to work in my field if study since I plan to stay with this company for a long time.
    Also I've heard once you take a machinist job its kinda hard to get management to let you switch over to the production division and that's a big red flag to me.
    I know I can still live with the pay cut just will have to make some adjustments.
    Looking for opinions on what to do!

Aug 1, 2019, 10:57 AM
    Also the future wife is supportive of either decision and wants me to do what I want to do

Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2019, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlcook00 View Post
    Also the future wife is supportive of either decision and wants me to do what I want to do

Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2019, 03:48 PM
    Agreed, you seem to have some really great options and opportunities to do whatever you want, any way you want to! Get your degree, no matter which job you decide to work initially. Whether you stay with this company or not down the road, you're still qualified and experience to pursue EVEN BETTER options and opportunities.

What more could you ask for?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

This is about my career... someone please help me take right decision? [ 1 Answers ]

I am second year MBA (finance) student. I don't have any work experience. Though I am in the top 10 colleges of Mumbai (for cet), I am very skeptical about the placements on campus. Everyone is saying markets are bad and you should take whatever company is offering you, which is true to some...

Complicated decision making ( career, family, love etc) [ 6 Answers ]

I am very confused right now on what to choose? I am in my mid 20s, facing a big change in career move, relationship, family, house, income etc. In the last few months,there are the things happened to me: 1. I bought a big house, I love it and I can't rent it out because it needs more work 2....

Need Guidance to take a decision / to proceed further in my Career [ 1 Answers ]

I am Working at a Software Company in Hyderabad,India. While joining , they have taken a agreement/bond for 2 years. Due to my financial problems , I want to change my job. But this company is not giving my experience letter even I am ready to break the bond by giving the amount. I got a lot of...

Is it the right decision? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 26 years old and involved with a 31year old woman called (A) who has a 8 year old daughter from a previous marriage of 8 years. We've been together on and off for two years. Met her just after her devorce went through. We once again split up and became good friends and last year I went overseas...

View more questions Search