Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 1, 2019, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I did offer a solution. Go to the cities that are doing well and see what they are doing that the dying cities like Detroit and Baltimore are not doing. In other words, stop passing on responsibility to the federal government that is currently almost 23 tril in debt. Detroit has paintings in their art gallery worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Why not sell about half of them and put that into their own infrastructure and debt reduction? In other words, get off your rear end and see what you can do to help yourself.

The same is true of Flint. Instead of waiting around for someone to come and rescue you, show some initiative and get busy cleaning up your water system. Find your own answers.

Ask Jackson, MS, Detroit, and Baltimore if it's a problem.
    HOGWASH! That's the governments job to aid where they can and help with the money to help themselves. That's what a UNITED country is about. Helping it's citizens. Funny you don't say the same about your government help Big Biz make money with tax cuts and loopholes and write offs to protect the wealthy.

Why do I have to keep telling you about confusing life and BS?

I have peeps in most of the places you named and throughout some tough financial times no doubt they will grow and prosper. Some will grow faster than others.

Baltimore, Detroit, and Jackson aren't dying they are transitioning despite a few challenges. I have seen some great hospitals in Baltimore and million dollar homes.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2019, 07:20 PM
    Funny you don't say the same about your government help Big Biz make money with tax cuts and loopholes and write offs to protect the wealthy.
    For the ten millionth time, the top 20% of income earners are paying 85% of the income taxes. If you claim that's "protection", then you don't understand the meaning of the word. You have been listening to the democratic party propaganda too long.

Baltimore, Detroit, and Jackson aren't dying they are transitioning despite a few challenges. I have seen some great hospitals in Baltimore and million dollar homes.
    That statement really takes the cake. They are "transitioning"??? Is that kind of like losing about a fourth to a half of their population, having entire neighborhoods deserted, having a greatly reduced tax base, having sky high crime rates, losing thousands of jobs, seeing hundreds of millions of dollars of personal wealth go up in smoke, and being in, according to you, desperate need of a bailout by the federal taxpayers? That's the "transition" you're talking about? Good grief. And you want to say to me, "Why do I have to keep telling you about confusing life and BS?" Try listening to your own advice.

I never cease to be amazed at how far liberals will go to justify their support of democrat politicians.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2019, 04:35 AM
    You never did understand the difference between individual wealth and corporate protectionism. The top 1% have 90% of the wealth in America. I guess we're free to elect people and they can control what they do, for THEM. I mean you holler about people taking your money, while you give it away to guys like the dufus.

Math isn't your strong point is it?
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2019, 05:08 AM
    The top 1% have 90% of the wealth in America.
    Completely and absurdly incorrect. Do you ever bother yourself to actually research what you say? Reading must not be your strong point. Yet again you are confusing life and BS.

In the meantime, Baltimore continues its "transition" to oblivion. "Six Baltimore City schools — five high schools and one middle school — were found to have not a single student who scored proficient in math or reading in 2016, "

You claim to have such concern for the kids on the southern border since you can blame that on Trump, but when it comes to these kids being ignored and warehoused in Baltimore, you express no concern since, after all, you can't blame that one on Trump.

https://www.educationdive.com/news/s...eading/443155/
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2019, 09:00 AM
    HOGWASH!
    you're supposed to use "malarkey" .
    I wanted to use "God" but I didn't know if you were a believer, so I used the next best thing - your mother.
    My moral compass is my own . It doesn't come from God or parentage .I am an adult with free will and opinions that are my own. I have been a landlord before and I assure you ,it is not worth it . Has nothing to do with my compassion. When I was a landlord I rented property to make money ...period .
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2019, 09:59 AM
    My moral compass is my own . It doesn't come from God or parentage .I am an adult with free will and opinions that are my own
    A few observations.

1. I don't think that free will/opinions are really the same as a moral compass.

2. That's fine as long as you are prepared to let everyone else do the same. Be careful if you adopt that view. The results are not pleasant.

3. . How do you know that your moral compass did not come from God, your parents, or any one of hundreds of other influences? I don't think your moral compass developed in a vacuum. Now it is the result of decisions you have made, so that would be fair enough, but what outside sources influenced your decisions?
    Expert

Aug 2, 2019, 01:32 PM
    Completely and absurdly incorrect. Do you ever bother yourself to actually research what you say? Reading must not be your strong point. Yet again you are confusing life and BS.

In the meantime, Baltimore continues its "transition" to oblivion. "Six Baltimore City schools — five high schools and one middle school — were found to have not a single student who scored proficient in math or reading in 2016, "

You claim to have such concern for the kids on the southern border since you can blame that on Trump, but when it comes to these kids being ignored and warehoused in Baltimore, you express no concern since, after all, you can't blame that one on Trump.

https://www.educationdive.com/news/s...eading/443155/
    My bad! I'm just human and flawed and I own it. Please accept my correction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afflue..._United_States

The top 20% have 87.7 % of the wealth. Do the math, not much pie left.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2019, 01:52 PM
    A few observations.

1. I don't think that free will/opinions are really the same as a moral compass.
    I won't have any excuse that my actions are the result of my upbringing and my faith . They are my own and my faith as much as I choose to share it is also my own .

2. That's fine as long as you are prepared to let everyone else do the same. Be careful if you adopt that view. The results are not pleasant.
    I did not say I believe in relativism .There is a clear delineation between right and wrong .

3. . How do you know that your moral compass did not come from God, your parents, or any one of hundreds of other influences? I don't think your moral compass developed in a vacuum. Now it is the result of decisions you have made, so that would be fair enough, but what outside sources influenced your decisions?
    As an adult I have choices to make that have nothing to do with how I was raised . I could've been raised with a Christian upbringing and be a mass murderer . I could've been raised with no religious foundation by a broken family and still act like a saint . I certainly will not let that be excuses for my behavior . Free will is a blessing given to humans by God. When it is told that we are created in God's image that is exactly what is meant . When God says
    “O if only you would actually pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river.”(Isaiah 48:18) There is a clear implication that we are created with free will .God gives us a choice .It is what we do in life that determines our futures and not something predetermined .

Now to the issue. I don't think there is any moral failing if someone owns rental properties that do not make that person money ;and the decision is to evict and to knock the homes down to build condos .

Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2019, 01:57 PM
    [QUOTE]The top 20% have 87.7 % of the wealth. Do the math, not much pie left.
    [/QUOTE}
    That assumes the pie is fixed and can't grow . I know differently . Bill Gates made a fortune by selling us Microsoft products . Thousands upon thousands of people purchased those Microsoft products and used them to enrich themselves . How would that be possible if the pie was fixed ?
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2019, 02:14 PM
    I did not say I believe in relativism .There is a clear delineation between right and wrong .
    So how do you delineate between right and wrong? Is it your own personal beliefs, or there is there some authority outside of yourself that you appeal to?
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2019, 02:20 PM
    The top 20% have 87.7 % of the wealth. Do the math, not much pie left.
    A lot better than the 1% owning 90%. I have no problem with that as long as the lower 80% have the freedom to move into that 20%. For very nearly all of human history, that freedom was not there. Now, for those who are mentally and physically healthy, the freedom exists to do that. Now it might require working 60 hours a week, not having children out of wedlock, sacrificing to get an education, staying out of senseless debt, learning to invest, and so forth, but it can be done.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2019, 03:40 PM
    Why is it bad for 20% to own 87% of the wealth, but OK for 20% to pay about that same amount of the income taxes?
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2019, 04:40 PM
    So how do you delineate between right and wrong? Is it your own personal beliefs, or there is there some authority outside of yourself that you appeal to?
    What separates us from other animals is we live in a physical world and a moral world .
    It is our moral nature that distinguishes us from the other animals . Right and wrong are implanted in our conscious . You can believe it is a gift from God . But if you are not a believer does that moral conscious change ? Does a terrorist get a pass for claiming their beliefs of right and wrong differs ? Our acts are free choices . However we are taught the acts of right and wrong do not change . It is universal . As I said ,we are all made in God's image . So you know where I stand . But how does an atheist know it is evil to murder . Why would that atheist man give up his seat on the bus to an old lady ? Belief does not necessarily have anything to do with it .
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2019, 05:30 PM
    It is our moral nature that distinguishes us from the other animals . Right and wrong are implanted in our conscious . You can believe it is a gift from God . But if you are not a believer does that moral conscious change ? Does a terrorist get a pass for claiming their beliefs of right and wrong differs ? Our acts are free choices . However we are taught the acts of right and wrong do not change . It is universal . As I said ,we are all made in God's image . So you know where I stand . But how does an atheist know it is evil to murder . Why would that atheist man give up his seat on the bus to an old lady ? Belief does not necessarily have anything to do with it .
    In the Middle East it is widely believed that homosexuals should be executed. The Germans believed the Jews should have been exterminated. Many in the Middle East believe the same way even today. Many in this country believe that a newly born baby can be killed. Many countries still believe in slavery. Many in India and China feel no obligation to hep the poor and starving.

Who's right?
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2019, 05:54 PM
    Was slavery wrong in 1859 ? Of course it was regardless of how many Americans believe otherwise .Was German genocide evil ? Of course it was . Is infanticide evil today ? You betcha . Does one need the 10 commandments to tell them that ? No.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2019, 06:02 PM
    Was slavery wrong in 1859 ? Of course it was regardless of how many Americans believe otherwise .
    You are basically saying that slavery is wrong because you say so. All those other people were wrong. Now I consider it to be wrong as well, but not because I say so or you say so. I appeal to a higher authority. If you can't do that, then it's just your opinion versus someone else's opinion.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 2, 2019, 06:06 PM
    You are basically saying that slavery is wrong because you say so.
    No, he isn't!
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2019, 06:28 PM
    No, he isn't!
    OK. Then what authority is he appealing to, his own or another's?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2019, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Was slavery wrong in 1859 ? Of course it was regardless of how many Americans believe otherwise .Was German genocide evil ? Of course it was . Is infanticide evil today ? You betcha . Does one need the 10 commandments to tell them that ? No.
    I agree with you Tom and the stain that slavery left on your nation hasn't been erased. There are some who think we have no right to judge the acts of others but God tells us to make a right judgement and that includes helping the less fortunate, not judging them. Man obviously needed the 10 commandments to understand where the boundries are, and still does today, however we are incapable of keeping within these boundries so heeding even higher laws just doesn't get done.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2019, 06:37 PM
    however we are incapable of keeping within these boundries so heeding even higher laws just doesn't get done.
    Agreed. There is a higher law. Either that, or it's the rule of the majority.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

President Trump is dead, Long Live King Donald! [ 146 Answers ]

Now that AG Barr has declared the Constitution null and void, he has presented the American people with a condescending "summary" of the Mueller Report. We prefer to read the real thing. Collusion and obstructions of justice abound. This is known simply from news reports over the years that...

A Message To Donald Trump [ 11 Answers ]

Dear President Trump, In this country, we do not hand over American citizens to be interrogated by foreign adversaries. Yours, AMERICA It took this sorry excuse for a president THREE DAYS to figure that out after calling it an "incredible offer". There is a consensus among serious...

herr Donald Herbert Hoover Smoot Hawley Trump [ 88 Answers ]

In March 2002, President George W. Bush imposed a 30% tariff on Chinese steel. The results were chaotic. The tariffs boosted the overall prices of steel and cost the U.S. 200,000 jobs in businesses that buy steel, representing $4 billion in lost wages. ...

Donald Trump [ 3 Answers ]

Is it leagle for Donald Trump to drill for in the Alaska Artic animal refuge?

The Strange World of Donald Trump [ 15 Answers ]

Here are some current positions of Trump reported today; 1- Resurrected belief that Obama was not born in the United States, 2- Denies it is his voice on the notorious "p****y" tape after acknowledging it IS his voice and apologizing for it, 3- Fully believes vote fraud by illegal immigrants...

View more questions Search