Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    niwhite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2019, 05:04 AM
    Sink leaking and faucet keeps running a few seconds after turn off
    We just bought a new house and after s couple of weeks, we changed the old dishwasher that came with the house for our newer, better one.

After that, our faucet, which had turned off like normal before, does not stop running right away after turning it off, it instead continues to stream for a few seconds after you turn the handle to off.

Also, the sink started to leak… and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t doing so before we installed the dishwasher. It’s weird because when we went to go try to find where the leak was coming from, we could not tell because all pipes and possible leaking spots were dry. That was a lot night, right before I went to start the dishwasher, which I usually do at night. Once I did start the dishwasher, the pipe that is between the two drains was wet and leaking.

My husband is handy enough, but he says he’s at a loss here, this goes beyond what he knows. So now we have a towel under the sink and no idea how to fix this. I thought that I’d try to do some research before calling someone in, in case it turns out to be a impõe fix.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 25, 2019, 08:39 AM
    At this point it sounds like a check and tighten type of thing and see if that works. Just put a wrench on ALL (Water and drains would be ideal, but you can just focus on the water delivery for the moment) connections including the faucets. Let us know the results.

Normally a flash light and observing things as water is used is the normal way to check for leaks. Sometimes the water seeps and travels down a pipe or house before it drips so keep a rag handy.

Old O rings and washers, and seats are always failing and drip before they fail completely.
    niwhite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2019, 04:25 AM
    Thanks for your answer. You were indeed correct. We had filled one side of the sunk with a lot of water, and when it came time drain it, I took advantage to see what was happening with pipes. Sure enough, water was pouring out of one of the connections. My husband tightened it and voila! No more problem! He said he’d had to loosen that one when installing the dishwasher, and apparently had not tightened it enough when done.

As far as the other part of my question, where the faucet kept running after being turned off… it seems like it might have not been connected to the other problem, although it seems like a hell of a coincidence… either way, turns out that a part of the head was dirty- I think my husband said the aerator? I don’t exactly remember. But he cleaned it out and that made that other problem go away as well. Not sure why they seemed to coincide, but at least now our sink is back to normal.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2019, 02:44 PM
    Good catch, Tal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What causes kitchen sink faucet to stop running? Turn it on slow, and finally it will [ 1 Answers ]

Plunbing. Kitchen faucet will stop running. Have to turn it on slow, hot or cold and finally, it will keep running

Flow drops on Delta kitchen faucet after running for a few seconds [ 1 Answers ]

Our single-handle Delta kitchen faucet was leaking slightly from the handle when it was turned on. I replaced the seats and springs using a kit from Ace Hardware. The leak stopped and the faucet worked great for a couple of weeks. Now, when we turn it on, either hot or cold, the pressure drops to...

Leaking from faucet meets sink top [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with my new faucet. Water is pooling where the faucet is siliconed to the vanity. I walk away for a few hours and come back to a pool of water around the base of the faucet. All of the water lines and drain are fine with no leaks. Any ideas are appreciated! Thank you,...

My faucet keeps dribbling for several seconds after I turn the water off. [ 0 Answers ]

Just yesterday my kitchen faucet started dribbling for several seconds after I turn the water off. And it takes a second or so before it starts running when turned on. It has never done this before. It's a Price Pfister, washerless about 4 years old. It has hot and cold handles. Does the same no...

Bad Odor First Few Seconds of Running Sink [ 4 Answers ]

This only happens with our kitchen faucet; none of our other faucets do this. We turn it on after not running it for a while and a nasty odor comes out;:eek: It seems to go away after 20 seconds or so. Can someone tell me what might cause this and how to remedy it? Thanks!

View more questions Search