Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PGerard Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2019, 04:49 AM
    Run 60A power to the new garage
    Good Morning All. I need some advice on running 60A power from my attached garage to my new detached garage, which is ~150' from the house. My initial thought was to run a 4/3 Copper line from a 60A breaker in the main panel, to a small subpanel in the new garage where I would have a 120v/30A breaker for my camper, and 2 120v/15A breakers for tools and lighting. Normally there isn't any more than 1 120v tool being used at a time, since alot of my stuff is either Air or Battery powered. Lighting will be LED. That option is going to be expensive since #4 copper is really pricey, plus I have to get a subpanel. Option #2 would be to run 3 individual 10/3 wires from the 30A & 15A breakers in the main panel, through a 3" buried PVC conduit to the garage 150' feet away, and not have a panel in the garage at all.
    Using 10/3 still allows me to switch one to 240v in the future if I ever need to (either temporarily or permanently)
    Without getting hung up on what "Code" is, can someone tell me if Option #2 would be feasible given Voltage Drop at that distance? Could there potentially be a danger here, or would the worst case scenario be that something doesn't work right? Since I will have a 3" conduit in the ground, and it will be strung, there's really nothing stopping me from pulling in another wire at some point if needed.
    Thank-You
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 23, 2019, 02:26 PM
    Let's begin with the existing garage. What is the amperage coming into the garage and what is the load being used by the garage?

Since the garage is a stand-alone garage, your problems just increased. To begin with, you need a four wire feed from garage A to Garage B. Next you need to build a separate grounding system at garage B. I cannot share the grounding system from garage A.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2019, 10:08 AM
    If this is just a voltage drop question then, yes 120 volts with #10 AWG wire at about 150 feet and a 10 ampere load will drop about 3 to 4 volts. Most things will run just fine.

If at some time you want to discuss the code and safety recommendations that go along with this write back...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have no power in my garage. [ 6 Answers ]

I was using my central vac and I tripped the breaker for the garage went to turn it back on but there is still no power. I tested the breaker and it still works. What could be the problem.

No power to garage. [ 3 Answers ]

Originally Posted by dumdum64 I went to replace an extension cord in the garage that supplied power to the garage door opener, with a wire from the main panel to the opener in the garage. I put the wires in the same location were the extension cord got its power from. When I replaced the...

Running power to garage and continuing the power to a cabin later. [ 4 Answers ]

I'm building a garage this year and a cabin in the following years and I need to run power to the garage before building it. The service is about 60 feet away from the main breaker location and when I build the cabin, I would like to be able to continue the power from the garage to the cabin (120...

I need power in garage [ 6 Answers ]

What is the cheapest solution to power my council garage, which will contain: 2 technics 1210 decks 1 standard mixer 1 amp 2 speakers 1 computer 1 monitor 1 modem

Power to garage [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently looking to run electrical to my garage. I live in Minneapolis, Mn. I have heard numerous ways in which to accomplish this but thought I would ask hear for some further advise? I would also like to put in two outside outlets with boxes and possibly lighting above the boxes in the...

View more questions Search