Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Jul 23, 2019, 03:52 AM
    Using stair gauges on a framing square
    I'm learning how to cut roof rafters and by reading and watching Youtube videos, obviously have found several ways to do so. I have a question about my framing square, though which I haven't really cleared up. When you use the square to step off a rafter for say a 4:12 pitch, you want the actual 4" and the 12" mark to touch where it meets the rafter, right? I have some stair gauges for ease of use and several videos say to put the stair gauges on the marks on your square. When you put them right on the marks, depending on how steep or shallow your pitch is, that doesn't always allow the marks on the square to actually touch the edge of the board and my plumb mark is sometimes different when I compare it with the correct mark on my speed square. So I should slide the stair gauge to allow the framing square mark to touch the board and then lock in the stair gauge, is that correct? I know this is a seemingly obvious question, but I just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly. :)

Check out some similar questions!

If a company rents 5,000 square feet for 40,000 a year how much would 1200 square fee [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how much would 1200 square feet , 1600 square feet, 900 square feet cost per year from the 40,000 need to know what each dept would cost per year.

Diagonal of a quare is the square root of 20 feet what is the area of the square? [ 2 Answers ]

The diaganol of a square is the square root of 20 feet what is the area of the square?

I'm painting a room how many square meters in 1 square foot [ 1 Answers ]

I'm painting a room, I have mesured in square feet, but the paint tin gives the spread rate in square meters.I have 1 5 Liter tin. Question is how do I convert square meters into square feet.

What is the area of this square? Only give you the number 5 in and it is a square [ 2 Answers ]

I have a math problem what is the area of this square. There is a square and the only number given is 5 inches

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.