Reminder of what people are calling the “radical, extreme-left agenda”:

Medicare for All
    A Living Wage & Labor Rights
    K-16 schooling, aka Public Colleges
    100% Renewable Energy
    Fixing the pipes in Flint
    Not Hurting Immigrants
    Holding Wall Street Accountable

(ed. by Athos) Some of these are not clearly defined, but it's a start.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 22, 2019, 07:41 AM
    Surely Athos you can understand the fear the right would have for a young latina to be putting forth ideas, and getting press time. Why that could start others latinos, and minorities and woman to speak out and even denounce the dominant cultures spin on things. We can't have that now can we? It was bad enough we elected a black guy to live in the WHITE House twice with majorities, so obviously you do not understand the fear that has gripped half the country.

They didn't like Clinton, understandable, but they hated his strong willed intelligent wife as she rose through the ranks, even more. They saw her coming and attacked relentlessly for DECADES as she represented a radical change in the balance of power away from THEM. How else can you explain the dufus and his sycophant's coup on the whole party of repubs, gotten through FEAR and HATE of everybody that that they have previously dominanted and oppressed, suppressed, and marginalized.

All they really want is to stop that progress and return to the good old days of white man on top and running roughshod over the rest. Surely you understand that? You surely understand that he who controls the money controls the world, don't you? That's the whole fear on the right, loss of control! The dufus is good at stoking that same fear and hate, and his followers have no guilt or shame about it any more.

So AOC is just the new face of that fear and they see her coming.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2019, 09:53 AM
    In a few short paragraphs, you covered it all. Very well done!!
    Expert

Jul 22, 2019, 01:17 PM
    Thank you Athos, I do have the advantage of seeing this movie before.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2019, 11:20 AM
    Medicare for All
    A Living Wage & Labor Rights
    K-16 schooling, aka Public Colleges
    100% Renewable Energy
    Fixing the pipes in Flint
    Not Hurting Immigrants
    Holding Wall Street Accountable
    Two rather inconvenient questions:

1. How much will all that cost, as in how many tens of trillions of dollars?
    2. How will we pay for it?

And just to "head em off at the pass", the top 20% of wage earners already pay about 85% of income taxes, so please don't go down the dead-end road of tax fairness.

I never cease to be amazed at how race is so frequently at the forefront of the thinking of some on this board. I think they find it hard to believe that many others of us really don't think about it and don't care what race or gender someone else is, but are far, far, far more interested in how effectively they can do their jobs. Now when they become corrupt/stupid/ineffective politicians, then that does become a concern.
    Expert

Jul 26, 2019, 04:59 PM
    Those aren't inconvenient questions as cost are important as well as implementation of such a huge new program. It hasn't been vetted but is just an idea at this point. Some of those ideas are no brainers, and sets some very good goals to wrk toward. Whats wrong with ideas?

I think I have expressed what I think are flaws in your 1% ers tax logic, and the conclusion you have arrived at, as history has shown us that smaller invremental taxing practices can raise revenues and pay for specific projects that need doing like funding nationwide infrastucture projects as an example. I think the evidence is coming in that the latest tax cuts may fall short of growing the economy, or paying for themselves.

I don't necessarily think race is the major issue here but we cannot deny or look away from the dufus racism, while repubs are silent about it either. You would probably feel different if you were a minority and seen it aimed at you and others over a lifetime and you may as well accept to some it is a big freaking deal, whether you understand it or not.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2019, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I never cease to be amazed at how race is so frequently at the forefront of the thinking of some on this board. I think they find it hard to believe that many others of us really don't think about it and don't care what race or gender someone else is
    I'm guessing you're a white male. I hope in the heavenly rehearsals you'll have the opportunity to be a brown or black woman.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2019, 06:30 PM
    I'm guessing you're a white male. I hope in the heavenly rehearsals you'll have the opportunity to be a brown or black woman.
    It interests me how when liberals run out of ideas, they run to the issue of race. I don't agree with AOC, so I must be a racist. Is that how it works now? Even worse, I'm a "white male". I am happy to report that I don't look at the world that way and your game is one I do not choose to play. I try to treat everyone fairly and I encourage others to do the same. I have no interest whatsoever in your race or gender. That is your fascination, not mine. I feel sorry for people who can't get past that.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2019, 06:39 PM
    Those aren't inconvenient questions as cost are important as well as implementation of such a huge new program. It hasn't been vetted but is just an idea at this point. Some of those ideas are no brainers, and sets some very good goals to wrk toward. Whats wrong with ideas?
    Nothing other than how to pay for them. And when you are talking about tens of trillions of dollars, it is just irresponsible fantasies.

I think I have expressed what I think are flaws in your 1% ers tax logic, and the conclusion you have arrived at,
    No, you haven't. Not even close. And it was 20%.

as history has shown us that smaller invremental taxing practices can raise revenues and pay for specific projects that need doing like funding nationwide infrastucture projects as an example. I think the evidence is coming in that the latest tax cuts may fall short of growing the economy, or paying for themselves.
    I completely agree with you about the latest tax cuts, but if you think small taxing practices can balance this budget, you are living in a dream world. And then you are proposing enormous, enormous additional spending. Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

I don't necessarily think race is the major issue here but we cannot deny or look away from the dufus racism, while repubs are silent about it either. You would probably feel different if you were a minority and seen it aimed at you and others over a lifetime and you may as well accept to some it is a big freaking deal, whether you understand it or not.
    I don't care for your statement that we conservatives who disagree with the absurd and idiotic ideas of AOC and her buddies are doing so because she is a woman of color. That allegation is racial prejudice at it's worst. I would have expected better from you than that. We don't agree with AOC so we must be a bunch of racist misogynists?? Good grief.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2019, 06:44 PM
    It interests me how when liberals run out of ideas, they run to the issue of race. I don't agree with AOC, so I must be a racist. Is that how it works now? Even worse, I'm a "white male". I am happy to report that I don't look at the world that way and your game is one I do not choose to play. I try to treat everyone fairly and I encourage others to do the same. I have no interest whatsoever in your race or gender. That is your fascination, not mine. I feel sorry for people who can't get past that.
    But that game is played every day.

How many times have you, as a girl, been told, "You have to let the boys win" or "No, you can't play softball with the boys at recess" or "A boy has to be the valedictorian; you, as a girl, can be salutatorian"?

A reporter at one of our city newspapers has been writing occasional columns on her experiences while being black -- shopping with children while black, eating in a restaurant while black, driving while black, walking at night while black.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2019, 06:49 PM
    How many times have you, as a girl, been told, "You have to let the boys win" or "No, you can't play softball with the boys at recess" or "A boy has to be the valedictorian; you, as a girl, can be salutatorian"?
    And how many times have you, as a man, been told that it's the patriarchy and toxic masculinity that causes all the problems of the world? Or been referred to as a "white male" is such a condescending and pejorative manner as you did? Or have it suggested that, as a conservative man, my opposition to AOC's loony ideas was due to her being a woman of color? If you don't like that kind of thing, then don't practice it. Set a good example.

I abandoned feeling sorry for those who are mentally and physically healthy a long time ago.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2019, 07:21 PM
    And how many times have you, as a man, been told that it's the patriarchy and toxic masculinity that causes all the problems of the world?
    If not that, then what?
    Or been referred to as a "white male" is such a condescending and pejorative manner as you did?
    I was very careful not to do that. That wasn't my point.
    Or have it suggested that, as a conservative man, my opposition to AOC's loony ideas was due to her being a woman of color? If you don't like that kind of thing, then don't practice it. Set a good example.
    I made no mention of AOC.
    I abandoned feeling sorry for those who are mentally and physically healthy a long time ago.
    And they are?
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2019, 07:40 PM
    If not that, then what?
    See what I mean? And your answer is so typically liberal. "Feel sorry for poor ole me and my crowd, but nail everyone else." Again, it's a game I don't care for.

I made no mention of AOC.
    No, and I didn't say you did, but it was said prior to your post. That was my reference.

And they are?
    They are...those who are mentally and physically healthy, and especially so if they live in the U.S. I will try to help them if they need help, but I will not feel sorry for them. It seems to me the typical liberal is the opposite. They feel sorry for people, or at least profess to, but are not willing to help them other than to force others to do so by force of law.

As to the "white male" comment, if it was not meant to be condescending or pejorative, then what was the intent, to be a compliment???
    Expert

Jul 27, 2019, 02:20 AM
    How do you ignore the incendiary insulting comments the dufus makes about others and incites his rally crowds and tweet followers? You may be the fairest guy in the world, but the dufus is NOT, he is cruel and insulting and even you have said so though mutedly. So why can you not understand the reaction to his rhetoric? You don't like AOC's ideas? Fair enough, but why get stuck on them like they are written in stone and have a huge following? Neither is true except for the dufus elevating them to a prominence they have yet to achieve, or even deserve.

So why even take it as far as how to pay for them? Of course you would rather make that the topic and not the behavior of the dufus. Sorry guy that's just wrong on so many levels as is blaming liberals for stoking racism and division, and not the real issue of the dufus weaponizing hate and division through racism and fear to get re elected.

It is conservatives who align themselves with the dufus, and his antics of hate, for whatever the purpose. So I can only assume whatever the consequences of that decision must be worth it. I know, you disavow his antics, tactics, and words which means nothing if you defend and protect the dufus with your support.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2019, 05:15 AM
    why get stuck on them like they are written in stone and have a huge following? Neither is true except for the dufus elevating them to a prominence they have yet to achieve, or even deserve.

So why even take it as far as how to pay for them? Of course you would rather make that the topic and not the behavior of the dufus.
    If you will go back and look at the first post on this thread, it is all about AOC's wonderful ideas. That's why we are discussing it. Besides, every major dem candidate for pres, with the possible exception of Biden, has endorsed her nutty ideas.

Sorry guy that's just wrong on so many levels as is blaming liberals for stoking racism and division, and not the real issue of the dufus weaponizing hate and division through racism and fear to get re elected.
    Actually, you are the one who did that in your post above where you stated that people who oppose AOC's nutty ideas do so because they are racists, anti-female, and in favor of white dominance. It was a terrible post. You said, for instance, "Surely Athos you can understand the fear the right would have for a young latina to be putting forth ideas, and getting press time." That's a crazy, baseless allegation that walks close to the border of racism itself. Not even Donald Trump has gone to the extent that you did. You have a fair enough point about him, but if you don't like what he does, then why are you copying the way you think he does things? I don't like his incendiary rhetoric and name-calling, so I try to NOT copy it.
    Expert

Jul 27, 2019, 06:07 AM
    REALITY CHECK

Since the dufus's support is right wing loony RACISTS, and quite openly so, and loyal sycophants many elected, and those HC haters, like yourself who want judges and a good economy, then what can people like me infer from this coalition?

You lay down with dogs you get fleas and blame liberals because you itch.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2019, 08:00 AM
    Since the dufus's support is right wing loony RACISTS, and quite openly so, and loyal sycophants many elected, and those HC haters, like yourself who want judges and a good economy, then what can people like me infer from this coalition?

You lay down with dogs you get fleas and blame liberals because you itch.
    Wow. I'm glad I don't live in your world. People don't agree with you so they must be racists. What a perverted attitude. And you want to accuse Trump of name-calling and inflammatory rhetoric? You two are exactly alike. Congratulations.
    Expert

Jul 27, 2019, 01:31 PM
    Then I should get your vote since you think the dufus and me are alike. Holding your nose is optional!

8D
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2019, 02:28 PM
    Then I should get your vote since you think the dufus and me are alike. Holding your nose is optional!
    You said it. That's enough for me.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2019, 04:47 PM
    Here's a place we can start the discussion. Might better check your pocketbook, bank account, investments, etc.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...-in-first-year

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

Please convert "Evolution", "Transformation", "Phoenix" in Sanskrit [ 0 Answers ]

Please convert 1. "Evolution", 2."Transformation", 3."Phoenix" in Sanskrit God bless - this will be used for a tattoo

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Who sang song, possibly called "forever yours", in film "the perfect storm" [ 2 Answers ]

Who sang song, possibly called "forever yours", in film "the perfect storm" and can it be bought as a cd?

View more questions Search