Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherylyohn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2019, 12:12 PM
    realastate
    i have been living in my mothers house for about 21 years paid taxes my mother has passed about 9 years now my bother has decided that i shouldnt get the home said theres a lein on the proberty i know nothing about do i have the right to claim squaters right i live in pa
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 8, 2019, 12:45 PM
    Who put the lien on the house and for what? Did your mother have a will?
    sherylyohn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2019, 12:59 PM
    i dont know who put the lein i know nothing of it when we moved in my mom had a loan on it witch we paid off and im not aware of a will
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 8, 2019, 01:31 PM
    He may well have a claim on the house so I think I would find out what's what before he does and forces a sale or buyout to get his part. States and localities handle it differently so get some legal advice so you don't get bushwacked by him or anybody else. Check your county property records if nothing else.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2019, 04:56 PM
    no, while there is no squatter rights, there is a system if you lived on a property unknown to the owner, but that is not the case if you clain to be the owner.
    why did you not take property to probate, you paying taxes mean nothing, they were your parents taxes. You will need to take this to probate but short of a will, your brother will have a claim
    ryanlin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2019, 07:44 AM
    Dig deeper to know about who charged lien for your property and get in touch with legal person to sort out the issue.
    Specter1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2019, 03:58 PM
    The state of Pennsylvania does have "Squatter's Rights" subject to the conditions in the attached link. As far as a lien, check with your County Registrar of Deeds office where any liens would need to be filed. A lien is merely a claim to property if it is sold, and cannot force a sale of property.

https://legalbeagle.com/6581465-penn...rs-rights.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search