Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adkhkr Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2019, 05:19 AM
    New Masterbath Remodel and Plumbing
    Hi -

I am doing a Master Bath renovation and changing the plumbing locations. Also, in the future I will be redoing my kitchen and eliminating a wall where the main waste line runs so basically, I need to relocate everything.

I attached a layout of what I am looking to do and am looking for input.

1. The shower that I have circled...it is located 6' from the vent. Is this an acceptable distance?

2. Can the sink from the 1st floor be vented in the drain from the shower above?
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 7, 2019, 11:21 AM
    Hi.

Absolutely nothing you have drawn is even close to correct...sorry.

So, #1....no
    #2.....No, you cannot tie a shower from the second floor into the vent for the kitchen sink from the first floor.

The lavatories are not piped properly...you cannot have sanitary tee fittings on the horizontal like shown in the picture or in the drawing. Further, you can't have 4 sinks on one drain line and only have the one vent. Someone that did the previous work didn't know anything about plumbing, for sure!

Final thought...why not connect the shower drain into the capped fitting off the vent stack? You would still need to vent the shower but this would allow you to keep the shower on the same floor. Even better, would be to connect the shower and sink drain(s) into the drain for the toilet and then vent the fixtures as required by code.

Thoughts?

Mark

Jul 9, 2019, 04:41 AM
    Thanks for the input... Here is a revised sketch based on your comments.

Any better?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 11, 2019, 04:03 AM
    Getting closer here...

Codes vary by state, so hard to say exactly, but in most cases...

If you start 4" in the basement then you need to keep the drain 4" all the way up and through to the roof. You would take off branch drains using 4"x3" fittings (wyes on horizontal, sanitary tees if on vertical). Where you have the 4" branching left and right in 3"...exactly what fittings were you going to use to do this?

Most likely, again check local code, you may need to increase the toilet vent to 2".

Install cleanouts at the base of the 4" stack and at the base of the kitchen sink drain as well as under the kitchen sink cabinet.

Lavatory sinks still not right. Give me a day or two and I'll try to find you a picture of the proper way to pipe up 4 sinks.

Jul 11, 2019, 05:57 AM
    This is what I had in mind where the 4 inch pipe splits.... And than cap the top of the pipe

Aug 19, 2019, 04:19 AM
    Here is a revised layout... Any more suggestions?

Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 21, 2019, 03:05 PM
    Name:  askmehelpdesk101.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  102.4 KB

Reduce the shower vent to 1.5"

Install Wye fitting on horizontal to pick up shower drain

Proper lavatory sink piping vent should be as I've drawn it. I didn't include the ptraps because it would crowd the drawing (in this case).

The wye and 90 I've indicated is better than the double sanitary tee fitting you posted...if drain gets snaked the snake could cross over this fitting. You are better off using a wye fitting on the vertical (lower) and install a long sweep 90 at the top to pick up the left drains.

Do not forget a cleanout at the base of the waste stacks.

Use long sweep 90s when going from horizontal to horizontal.

Mark

Nov 5, 2019, 09:49 AM
    Finally getting back on the project.

In this photo...I have the following questions.

In red...are those Wye fittings?

In green...is 1.5" sufficient for the drain lines?

In Blue...is 1.5" sufficient for the vent for the combined shower and first floor sink?

In Yellow, is 1.5" sufficient?Name:  20191105_114420.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  55.0 KB

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Nov 5, 2019, 10:57 AM
    I had my sink layout wrong.. the attached picture is the correct layout.

1. Can the red drain line be 1.5"?

2. How to the vents go with this layout?

Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 6, 2019, 04:52 PM
    Hi Adkhr

That picture above better not be correct....look at the last picture I posted. It is the only way to do back to back, in fact, double back to back lavatories....*wink*.

Now, In Green I would DEFINITELY run 2".

In Yellow, run 1.5" vent for the shower

Where the vent from the kitchen sink and the shower connect (Blue) increase vent size to 2" using a 2"x2"x 1.5" sanitary tee fitting...run 2" over to the vent stack.

The Red will depend on your local code requirements (see pictures). Some use double wye 1/8th combination (also called a double fixture tee) fittings, some use double sanitary tee fittings...it is STATE specific issue. The argument surrounds snaking the drains as well as air to water drain ratios, so it turns out to be up to each state. I'd suggest calling a local inspector and just ask him, "if I am installing back to back lavatories do I use a double sanitary tee or a double wye 1/8th combination fitting". This is the only way you can be guaranteed NOT to have to redo the work.

Name:  DoubleFixFittings.bmp
Views: 476
Size:  488.0 KB

Name:  P3005.1-double-fittings-compare.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  90.2 KB

Are you clear on the way I drew this up otherwise?

Mark

Nov 7, 2019, 12:50 PM
    See attached...doing the drains back to back isn't going to work. With that said, what option do I have given the separation between each sink? Would a 2" circuit vent like the one in the pic be acceptable?

Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 8, 2019, 10:30 AM
    That is used in commercial plumbing and is not used in residential setting, so I would not recommend it here.

You can pipe this as I presented...just turn the double sanitary fittings sideways (see image) and stub out to each sink with 90 degree elbows. Install ptraps to sink and all set.

Name:  newamhd.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  20.7 KB

Mark

Nov 10, 2019, 04:29 AM
    Got the vent for the sink and shower in coming around the corner. Does this look good? Where the 1.5/1.5 inch pipe transition to the 2 inch, is the fitting I used correct? And I used a vent elbow, not a sweep 90. Is that ok?

For the sink layout, can I use the sizes shown? Would a 1.5 inch Wye fitting and transition to a 2 in pipe be ok? Or should I use a 2 inch Wye? It's a little easier to fit the smaller Wye in the wall but if a 2inch is better I'll make it work.

Thanks.

Brad

Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2019, 08:50 AM
    Going down to the 1.5" DOUBLE FIXTURE TEE should be just fine...but not a double wye fitting.

Otherwise, looking great!

Nov 10, 2019, 09:20 AM
    I can squeeze in the double wye 2inch and put in a 2 to 1.5 bushing for the stub outs. Here is the layout, does this look good? The blue is the 3 inch, the red from the side is the 2 inch vent. I have the 3x3x2 T with it sloped up. Is that the right way to do it?

Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2019, 08:31 PM
    Why did you point the street 45 up in the double wye on the right...that won't work? Let me know why...

Nov 11, 2019, 10:42 AM
    This should work, just have to turn it 90 into the wall from the wye. Have to hack the stud to get it in there but it should work. How does it look?

Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 11, 2019, 03:03 PM
    I would really prefer to see you use double fixture tee fittings instead of the double wye fittings, but if you can't find them then the double wyes will have to do! In that case, looks great!

The work looks nice and clean...straight!

Nov 13, 2019, 05:12 AM
    Managed to find the fittings online...had some issues getting the straight section in hence the 2 couplings.

Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 13, 2019, 11:39 AM
    Nicely done!

Looking real good, EXCEPT...

Technically, Jim caps (the black rubber caps you have on the stack) are not allowed inside a finished wall or floor.... Please message me your telephone number if you want to chat about that more, or if not comfortable with that we can discuss through here.

Back to you...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in Condo and masterbath light fixture has water in it this morning [ 4 Answers ]

Live in a condo(middle), this morning notice water in the ceiling light in the master bathroom. Should I call plumber or electrician for this problem.

Plumbing-bathroom remodel [ 1 Answers ]

My current drain pipe for the bathtub is left, however, I bought a tub with center drain. Is it possible to get to the left drain without replumbing?

Plumbing vent question on a remodel. [ 6 Answers ]

I am remodeling my home and need to tie into the existing vent and drain of a toilet - BUT - there is NO existing vent on that toilet and the soil pipe drops vertically from the toilet. So, can I a vent tie into that vertical pipe? If not, how do I correct this? If so, how far below the toilet can...

Kitchen remodel Plumbing stack in the way [ 7 Answers ]

1. The plumbing stack runs through a wall that I would like to remove 2. I pulled down the drywall ceiling and I see it runs from the basement straight up through the kitchen wall I would like to remove, then 90's towards the back of the house and then to a T joint for the shower drain which is...

Foul odor from 2nd floor masterbath sink [ 1 Answers ]

I live 2 story house with 3 full bathrooms. In our masterbath whenever we turn on any one of the two sinks, there is a foul odor emitting form the drain for the first 10 to 20sec while the water is running. This will happen every time we use the sinks. It only happen in the master bath. What is the...

View more questions Search