Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greenjeans6 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2019, 11:06 AM
    Priming well pump
    I replaced the pressure gauge and pressure switch. Turned on pump, pump is running and gauge reads zero. I want to prime the pump but can’t get the plug to loosen to remove.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 3, 2019, 04:27 PM
    Get a bigger wrench. What are you using now?

Jul 10, 2019, 12:01 PM
    The wrench is large and quite sufficient to to loosen, but it won’t budge! I don’t think I need to prime at this point, when I turn on the pump I can hear water filling the bladder tank, but the pressure gauge and switch are not working, I have replaced the gauge with 4 brand new ones and none are responding. Anyone have an idea of what is going on here?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 10, 2019, 12:40 PM
    Are you using preset switches? If not they must be set, most at 50 high 30 low. Do you have power? Stabbing in the dark without knowing anything about your set up.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2019, 07:57 PM
    It needs to be primed. Does the pressure gauge screw into the pump itself? If so, you can probably remove the gauge and prime in that hole.

What kind of pipe goes from the pump to the wellhead? If it's pvc, then you can add a T and prime through that.

Jul 14, 2019, 04:23 AM
    I don’t know if the switch is preset or not, how do I tell? When I turn on the pump the water is flowing and filling the bladder tank, so why would I need to prime if the water is already flowing? Does the bladder tank need to fill up before I see any “life” from the gauge and switch?

[Attachment 49201
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2019, 04:58 AM
    It's supposed to work like this. The pump starts going and pumps until the switch senses a certain set pressure, say for instance 50#. You start using water and pressure starts dropping, so when you get down to 30#, or whatever it is, then the switch cuts the pump back on. It sounds like you aren't getting any pressure at all and the gauge reads zero all the time. Is that the case?

Give us a little history. Why did you replace the switch and gauge? Does the pump ever cut off, or does it run constantly? If it does cut off, do you have any pressure in the house?

One other point. You have a shallow well jet pump. It works fine so long as the water table does not drop too far. Once the water level drops to around twenty five feet, your pump will not work. Is it possible that has happened?

One more question. Have you ever primed this pump before?

One last question. Does your wellpipe have a footvalve at the end? I ask because there is a check valve above ground, so when you prime the pump you are only priming as far as that cv. That makes me think this is using a sandpoint on the end.

Jul 15, 2019, 04:55 AM
    No water to house, no pressure and gauge reads zeros all the time.

History:
    The pump was replaced in 2010.
    The amount of water to the house was dwindling until there was none.
    Noticed the screws on back of gauge were rusted so I replaced it, first cheap fix, it screws into the pump housing.
    Turned pump on but gauge reads zero. Went to local plumbing supply and explained situation, they suggested to replace switch, second cheap fix, and also got another gauge in case first one was a dud. Replaced both, turned pump on, gauge zero and switch not engaging.
    The pump doesn’t cut on or off, it runs continuously, water flows filling bladder tank.
    The water table is high here so don’t think that’s the problem, but will keep in mind.
    I have not primed the pump before, but my dad may have in the past, gone now.
    I don’t know if there’s a foot valve at the end of the pipe as I’ve never pulled it up, difficult to do?
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2019, 05:41 AM
    I think what you have is called a driven well, meaning there was a sand point put on the well pipe and it was just driven into the ground by pounding the pipe down a few inches at a time. You have a checkvalve between the pump and the wellhead which prevents water from just flowing back down into the well when the pump cuts off. We don't have those kinds of wells around here, so I'm not real familiar with them. This is my best guess.

First remove the pressure gauge and prime the pump through that hole. Pour in water until it overflows. I don't think it will take much since you have a checkvalve a foot or so from the pump. Replace the gauge and give it a shot. It should begin to generate pressure. Be sure to use teflon tape on the threads of the pressure gauge. Airtight seals are important. Try that two or three times if needed.

If priming doesn't seem to do the trick, I'd remove the jet and make sure it is not clogged. I notice you are using filter cartridges. You must have some problems with foreign material in your water, so it's possible that the jet or the pump impellers are getting filled with trash. Check them both. If you're not sure how to do that, check out your pump manufacturer's website. You can probably find a parts schematic showing how to get to both. It is not a huge chore.

If that doesn't work, then this is what I'd do if it was my well. I'd remove the large threaded cap over the wellpipe and fill that with water. It is at this point that my non experience with these wells hinders me, but I think that pipe should be full of water. If it's not, then fill it to the top and then replace the threaded cap. I would think that pipe needs to stay full of water for your pump to work, the idea being that when the pump shuts off, suction holds the water in the pipe rather than just letting it run back into the well. The checkvalve above ground is responsible for that. Turn your pump back on and try it again.

One other point. If this is a driven well with a sandpoint, then those points also can get clogged with fine sand to the point that it will not let water enter. That could explain the gradual reduction in water volume you have experienced. Still, even at that the pump should produce at least some pressure, and that seems to be what you are lacking.

And, of course, the pump could be going out.

Let us know how it goes. BTW, your switch and p gauge seem to be working fine. They are not the problem.

This video about priming is useful, especially the part about using the valve to help out. Ignore the material about the disconnect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SsTj8ZtGLo

Jul 19, 2019, 06:56 AM
    So priming the pump didn’t work, the gauge engaged but wouldn’t catch, even used a pitcher pump for additional assistance but it wouldn’t work. Called my favorite well guy and he installed a used pump and it works! He said probably will need to upgrade the well at some point, will get me a quote, but for now will continue to use this one.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2019, 07:24 AM
    Glad you got if fixed. Unfortunate that the most expensive solution is the one you have to go with but that's life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jet pump priming [ 1 Answers ]

Have a jet pump in a well 80 ft deep. I can fill the pump and it stays there. Turn on the piump and it pumpslug of watewr and no more makingb all kinds of weird noises. Takes a quart to prime again and the same thing happens?

Pump priming [ 1 Answers ]

How do I prime my sprinker system pump

Priming jet pump [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a water tank and I need to reprime the pump. How is this accomplished?

Pump priming [ 1 Answers ]

Today I tried to have my house power washed and within less than half an hour my water pump was drained with no pressure reading on the gauge. AS I have done before, when pressure goes below about 20 lbs, I shut of pump. After it stands for a few hours it will usually begin to pump and fill my...

View more questions Search