Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steph4066 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Need investing 101
    Hello
    My husband and I are 30 years old and know nothing about investing... we are about to recive his annuity check that is 48,000 if we roll is over to an ira, but if we take it as a lump sum, we receive around 37,000. We are opting for the lump sum, because we want to use some of the money, but my question is, where do we start with investing the other 30000. We know nothing about anything, nor where to start! I need advise on where to put the money. Risky... not risky... short term, long term... where ever! Just need investing 101!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 11, 2007, 01:41 PM
    First and foremost, ROLL IT OVER into an IRA. The taxes will eat you alive (can be as much as 50% of the distribution) if you take it as a lump sum.

Second, you can enroll in basic investment classes at the local community college.

You can also access several excellent websites that will teach you about investing. The ones that come to mind are:

The Motley Fool (www.fool.com).

Smart Money (www.smartmoney.com).

Yahoo! Finance - Get stock quotes, market news, mortgage rates & currency info.

Morningstar: Stocks, Mutual Funds, and Investing

There are other excellent websites available, but these are a start.
    Stas3000 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 2, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Steph, If you learn better by watching and listening, check out YouTube's page of Michael Fischer. He goes by SavingAndInvesting too. Anyway, he'll take you step by step in free videos discussing everything a beginner should know about investing: from principles of compounding to what are mutual funds. He's a pro in what he talks about -- worked for an investment bank Goldman Sachs -- and has been very helpful to me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 2, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Roll it over, not only do you pay a 10 percent penality but will also have to pay taxes on the money if you take it out and don't roll it over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acct. 101 Test Questions (due Mon, 7-25-2005) [ 3 Answers ]

Hey all, for our final we were given a take-home test for my Accounting 101 class. There are several questions that have stumped me however. If you could lend a helping hand I would be much appreciative. Thanks so much! (This exam is due early tomorrow morning (Monday, 8:00AM 7-25-05) Q1: ...

Taipei 101 [ 1 Answers ]

What is the perimeter of Taipei 101? :confused:

Accounting 101 [ 1 Answers ]

Why do we adjust Interest Payable?

Need quick help with Acct. 101 homework [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine has a homework question she needs help with: How the heck to I post this? "Wells purchased 100 shares of Wells Consulting Services stock for $10,000" The only accounts I have to choose from are: Cash A/R Supplies

View more questions Search