Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2019, 07:20 PM
    Choice is a good thing. That is being denied to too many parents.
    That would be an enormous step forward.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 27, 2019, 09:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Choice is a good thing. That is being denied to too many parents. and teacherjenn4 ;I applaud your tireless efforts .
    Thank you! Summers are shorter than ever, but I can see retirement is not so far off, thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    That would be an enormous step forward.
    I’m not sure why more school districts don’t create schools of choice. If they don’t abide by the rules, they’re done.
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2019, 02:43 AM
    I’m not sure why more school districts don’t create schools of choice. If they don’t abide by the rules, they’re done.
    That's a really good question. In one district I used to work in, a city of about 35,000, parents could choose to send their child to a different school in the district as long as the school had room for them. The parent had to transport the child, and the child had to behave, but a year after I left they decided to drop that. In our case, out of about 400 students, about 100 were of that transfer variety.

One thing that tends to work against choice is the fact that the governing officials of the district lose that aspect of control. Federal court decisions also can be a real problem.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 28, 2019, 03:55 AM
    What did they do with the kids on those waiting lists, when there is no more room? Why are all schools not meeting the same standard? What of those families with no transportation or who work those hours where they cannot drop off and pick up their kids? What about those families that can't afford child care or have special needs kids, or even the extended family support? A town of 35,000 has an inner city? Or did you mean a poor section of town?

I have said before how teachers are the pillars of the community, under valued but dedicated, and I also feel schools are the foundations of the community. There is something inherently wrong with a community that has a dilapidated building for a school and those are found in the real inner cities where its so easy to suck and redirect the resources away from the community that needs them.

My kick about school choice is some, MOST, don't have that choice. I worry about those left behind that their needs cannot be met.
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2019, 04:15 AM
    My kick about school choice is some, MOST, don't have that choice. I worry about those left behind that their needs cannot be met.
    I'm thinking the answer is two fold. First, run all schools properly. It is not a money problem, it's a will problem. We must have the will to be sure that all schools are orderly and focused on learning. Secondly, we should recognize that parents have authority over their own children, not the government, so parents should be free to enroll their children where they want. Yes, available room can be a problem as can transportation, but the world is not a perfect place. It would still be an effort to maximize liberty.

And yes, medium sized towns have inner city areas.

Why are all schools not meeting the same standard?
    In part it's because not all schools have the same students. It's like asking why all football teams don't go undefeated.
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2019, 04:47 AM
    Good laugh for the morning.

Attachment 49188
    Expert

Jun 28, 2019, 08:43 AM
    Aw man, still having trouble with those attachments! I really needed a good laugh. The dem debate just didn't do it.
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2019, 09:10 AM
    Tried it again. Copy and paste won't work anymore, or at least not for me. Oh well.Name:  aoc.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  32.1 KB
    Expert

Jun 28, 2019, 10:08 AM
    JL 2 Me 0

Okay ya got a chuckle from me! TY
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2019, 10:52 AM
    I figured you'd like it. There's one in every family!!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2019, 01:35 PM
    She would've won the day if she started speaking Cherokee .
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2019, 02:02 PM
    BTW this is my new favorite Democrat candidate . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JA6gYXEdwY
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2019, 02:10 PM
    i just donated $1 to her campaign so I can get on a mailing list .
    Expert

Jul 1, 2019, 07:07 PM
    Anybody but the dufus.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2019, 08:36 PM
    No you did that last time, anyone but Hilliary, don't do it again
    Expert

Jul 2, 2019, 05:18 AM
    I voted for Hillary, and despite her poor Electoral College showing the bigger picture was the turnout in some areas that counted the most by dems in the middle of the country. 100,000 votes or less in 5 key states is hardly a mandate, or a huge endorsement and that pesky Vlad looms as large as ever. Even if the dufus gets elected again the dufuscans in the senate may not be around to protect him as they are now.

One can hope.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2019, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I voted for Hillary, and despite her poor Electoral College showing the bigger picture was the turnout in some areas that counted the most by dems in the middle of the country. 100,000 votes or less in 5 key states is hardly a mandate, or a huge endorsement and that pesky Vlad looms as large as ever. Even if the dufus gets elected again the dufuscans in the senate may not be around to protect him as they are now.

One can hope.
    get over it, the electoral college elected Trump which proves that the population of a few states cannot run the country
    Expert

Jul 2, 2019, 07:22 AM
    I've been over it. It is what it is and dems must do better. Simple as that.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2019, 07:49 AM
    dems must do better.
    Probably could be said of both parties.
    Expert

Jul 2, 2019, 08:30 AM
    Yeah true, but if dems don't do better at turnout we get the dufus and a dufuscan senate again. That's a horrible thought to me. More of the same crap for two years at least? We can do better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Annoying Sanders Supporters [ 49 Answers ]

It's great that Clinton has secured the Democratic nomination but is anyone else fed up with the childish, irrational and fanatical Sanders supporters? I can't think of any candidate in recent history other than Trump who has such immature, disrespectful supporters. I think that Sanders himself is...

Car repossessed in 2010 want to go Chapter 7 can I wipe out this debt off... [ 0 Answers ]

My husband's vehicle was repocessed in 2010, We are now filing for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy can we still claim this liability. Where do I llst this on the bankruptcy schedules and forms?

Bernie MADOFF( scumbag) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello person, whoever reads this message... There's a bit of a debate going on here I want to ask you all How did the bernard madoff ponzi scheme affect America??

Bernie Madoff 24 hours later in jail [ 2 Answers ]

So, for all you folks who haven't heard, Bernie Madoff after spending 24 hours in jail has decided he doesn't like the accommodations and wants to be out on bail and wants to go home. His lawyer says he needs constant access to him. Bernie now claims to have more money stashed away and...

View more questions Search