Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2019, 09:24 AM
    I've decided ....Williamson is going to be my write in candidate .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 2, 2019, 11:43 AM
    I can't say that's a bad choice. Harris's and Warren's debate performances have gotten them traction, poor Joe's showing has hurt him for now. It's still rather early though.
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2019, 10:41 AM

Marianne Williamson

@marwilliamson

Left wing establishment elitism is no less dangerous than Right wing establishment elitism because it undermines the energy needed to create real change. The wisdom of the American people is the only safe repository for power. Claim it; don’t give it away.
    Expert

Jul 3, 2019, 12:29 PM
    Sounds good but I fear you will be caught in no choice land after the nominations when it will be a dem, maybe you don't like against the dufus. If Ms Williamson IS somehow the nominee though, she will have my vote.
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2019, 01:35 PM
    I vote for the irrelevent because my vote has no relevence in NY State .
    Expert

Jul 3, 2019, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I vote for the irrelevent because my vote has no relevence in NY State .
    Like mine in the Great State of Texas?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2019, 09:40 PM
    well this is the price of living in a democracy and having a minority opinion. It sucks when your party doesn't get elected but take heart, your friends knew who to elect
    Expert

Jul 4, 2019, 03:08 AM
    Can't blame it on the Electoral College either! Bummer!
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2019, 04:23 AM
    if roles were reversed ,the Dems would swear by the Electoral College . I swear by it anyway. What is intolerable is a tyranny of the majority .
    Expert

Jul 4, 2019, 05:45 AM
    I've been skeptical of EC for years, for I think the same reasons as you, the tyranny of the majority to play political games, and state party bosses rigging the system, but to be fair the founders probably were rigging the sytem since it's inception. They knew about the politics and didn't trust the ordinary citizen. The original house of reps was balanced (?) by the elite picked senate back then. Bet their heads would pop at the evolution of the system they put in place.

You're right though we holler foul when we lose. Thank God the EC only applies to the presidency, but even still it gives us a very unpopular president, with no real mandate, but then again Hillary would be in the same boat wouldn't she, with no congress behind her whatsoever though? No doubt she would be under impeachment with little hope of surviving her first year let alone accomplish anything useful. I still want Scottie to beam me up. Anyplace but Earth is more attractive to being subjected to the constant hollering of this prez, and I wonder how people with no hobbies survive.
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2019, 05:56 AM
    if roles were reversed ,the Dems would swear by the Electoral College . I swear by it anyway. What is intolerable is a tyranny of the majority .
    Tell me, Tom, when have you been subject to the tyranny of the majority, Your electoral results would suggest that the results hang on a knife-edge with a few basis points separating them, unless it is that the majority decides to vote which appears to be rare
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2019, 09:30 AM
    Tell me, Tom, when have you been subject to the tyranny of the majority,
    Never ,the electoral college ,the bicameral legislative branch ,the separations of powers the guarantee of rights in the Constitution and the amendments ,and our federal system prevents a tyranny of the majority . That's why it is disturbing that people are buying into these ideas like scrapping the electoral college ,the Senate and even states in the interest of the "will of the people " .
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2019, 10:21 AM
    Small federal government is a great safeguard.
    Expert

Jul 4, 2019, 10:34 AM
    Never ,the electoral college ,the bicameral legislative branch ,the separations of powers the guarantee of rights in the Constitution and the amendments ,and our federal system prevents a tyranny of the majority . That's why it is disturbing that people are buying into these ideas like scrapping the electoral college ,the Senate and even states in the interest of the "will of the people " .
    I've never heard of scraping the senate, or states and getting rid of EC requires a constitutional amendment so none of that is likely to happen any time soon so it's just talk at this point.

Small federal government is a great safeguard.
    I think it should be big enough to be efficient, but what protects minorities from the states? So what can a small government be a safeguard for?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2019, 10:42 AM
    I think it should be big enough to be efficient,
    At it's present size, it is running a deficit of hundreds of billions of dollars a year. So much for efficiency.

but what protects minorities from the states?
    The Constitution. It does not take a large fed government to enforce the Constitution. Besides, the issue of state sponsored discrimination against minorities is the least of their problems now. Wasn't true in the 60's, but it is true now.

So what can a small government be a safeguard for?
    Protection from the tyranny of elected and appointed officials who believe their job is to run our lives for us. Everything from gay marriage to Obamacare to ridiculous fed regulations to interference in education to seat belt regulations, and on and on it goes. I would much, much prefer they do much less.
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2019, 04:00 PM
    so you don't like the nanny state then, but you elected these people
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2019, 06:59 PM
    I've never heard of scraping the senate, or states and getting rid of EC requires a constitutional amendment so none of that is likely to happen any time soon so it's just talk at this point.
    admit it ;you want all the above .

Here is a Dem icon in the House proposing the elimination of the Senate . The Senate is the product of the Connecticut Compromise .It was diluted mightily by the 17th Amendment .
    https://www.vox.com/2018/12/4/181255...abolish-senate

Here is a Compost Editorial 3 years ago proposing the elimination of states .
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/

As you know many states are entering into a compact designed to make the EC irrelevant .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...rstate_Compact
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2019, 08:54 PM

As you know many states are entering into a compact designed to make the EC irrelevant .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...rstate_Compact
    Perhaps elected government is becoming irrelevant 150 years after government of the people, for the people, by the people should not perish, etc. but surely the concept of a house of review, a states house is somewhat irrelevant when the house of representatives can barely do their job
    Expert

Jul 5, 2019, 05:13 AM
    Given the challenges and no real groundswell of support to overcome those challenges I just write it off as just another idea, just as I do most of the loony right wing stuff that's out there. No telling what ideas pop up next from the left or right, but if they can't gain support and be implemented they are just talking points.

Let me know when it gets serious.
    duson12 Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2019, 10:15 PM
    Best Asset Finance And Leasing Software Company

NETSOL Technologies offers advanced Software technology & surveillance tools Solutions for Asset Finance And Leasing worldwide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Annoying Sanders Supporters [ 49 Answers ]

It's great that Clinton has secured the Democratic nomination but is anyone else fed up with the childish, irrational and fanatical Sanders supporters? I can't think of any candidate in recent history other than Trump who has such immature, disrespectful supporters. I think that Sanders himself is...

Car repossessed in 2010 want to go Chapter 7 can I wipe out this debt off... [ 0 Answers ]

My husband's vehicle was repocessed in 2010, We are now filing for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy can we still claim this liability. Where do I llst this on the bankruptcy schedules and forms?

Bernie MADOFF( scumbag) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello person, whoever reads this message... There's a bit of a debate going on here I want to ask you all How did the bernard madoff ponzi scheme affect America??

Bernie Madoff 24 hours later in jail [ 2 Answers ]

So, for all you folks who haven't heard, Bernie Madoff after spending 24 hours in jail has decided he doesn't like the accommodations and wants to be out on bail and wants to go home. His lawyer says he needs constant access to him. Bernie now claims to have more money stashed away and...

View more questions Search