Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2019, 01:06 PM
    The Nature of Religious Fundamentalism
    Fundamentalism apparently is a part of all religious traditions. In what ways (if any) are these fundamentalist traditions similar? In Christianity, for example, there is a tendency to view its sacred writings as literal. Is that true of other religions?
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Jun 23, 2019, 01:51 PM
    Christianity, for example, there is a tendency to view its sacred writings as literal.

'literally' Identical to sacred writings- "The living word / The word became flesh", AKA Jesus- Not similar to other religions...The Defining Difference

In what ways (if any) are these fundamentalist traditions similar?
    communal fundamentalism (India)?

All religions teach the same principle of loving and serving for the greater good of sentient beings. They teach us the values of filial piety, loyalty, righteousness, compassion and kindness. This is why they are all so similar.

I actually think the question why are they different and what makes them distinct in terms of their histories, cultures, promises, and principles is actually a more interesting question. One that I would invite you to pursue, especially when looking at the life and principles of Jesus Christ.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 23, 2019, 06:54 PM
    I looked at basics in Wikipedia, to see what its definition is. I found this:

***Islamic fundamentalism has been defined as a movement of Muslims who regard earlier times favorably and seek to return to the fundamentals of the Islamic religion and live similarly to how the prophet Muhammed and his companions lived. Islamic fundamentalists favor "a literal and originalist interpretation" of the primary sources of Islam and seek to eliminate (what they perceive to be) "corrupting" non-Islamic influences from every part of their lives.***

From the above, I gather that Islamic fundamentalism isn't so much about how the words in the Quran are interpreted and understood, but a preference toward living as Mohammed lived, a fundamentalist lifestyle. And I'm still not sure what THAT means.

Ah, dictionary.com says:

***A movement that has gained momentum in recent decades within several Muslim nations. Islamic fundamentalists oppose the infiltration of secular and Westernizing influences and seek to institute Islamic law, including strict codes of behavior.***
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2019, 03:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by waltero View Post
    'literally' Identical to sacred writings- "The living word / The word became flesh", AKA Jesus- Not similar to other religions...The Defining Difference
    I don't understand what this means. Could you re-phrase it? Thanks.

communal fundamentalism (India)?
    ??

All religions teach the same principle of loving and serving for the greater good of sentient beings. They teach us the values of filial piety, loyalty, righteousness, compassion and kindness. This is why they are all so similar.I actually think the question why are they different and what makes them distinct in terms of their histories, cultures, promises, and principles is actually a more interesting question. One that I would invite you to pursue, especially when looking at the life and principles of Jesus Christ.
    This wasn't the question. The question is are the sacred writings of other religions treated as literal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    From the above, I gather that Islamic fundamentalism isn't so much about how the words in the Quran are interpreted and understood,
    I take this to mean that the sacred writings of Islam, the Quran, are not taken literally.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 24, 2019, 03:38 PM
    Fundamentalism is just a nice way to say extreme hardcore loons. Even the Hindi's are patrolling the street in India cracking heads.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2019, 03:42 PM
    Thank you all.

I was hoping for contributions from members who are part of that faith, respectively.

Maybe there aren't any here.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 24, 2019, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Thank you all.

I was hoping for contributions from members who are part of that faith, respectively.

Maybe there aren't any here.
    I was thinking that same thing, searching the recesses of my memory for the names of current AMHD members who belong to religions other than Christianity. I couldn't think of any.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2019, 11:45 AM
    there is a tendency to view its sacred writings as literal.
    What's the alternative?
    Expert

Jun 30, 2019, 01:39 PM
    How about taking writings of ancient man conceptually instead of literally? Much easier to understand the concepts through the alliterive nature of ancient speech I would think, more objectively and without dealing with obvious bias or possible (More likely than not) exaggerations.
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2019, 02:12 PM
    How about taking writings of ancient man conceptually instead of literally? Much easier to understand the concepts through the alliterive nature of ancient speech I would think, more objectively and without dealing with obvious bias or possible (More likely than not) exaggerations.
    I'm not completely following you. Are you saying, for instance, that we should not literally believe that Jesus lived, or that Paul became a missionary, or that the Christian faith spread throughout the area of the Mediterranean sea?

What do you mean by "alliterive"?
    Expert

Jun 30, 2019, 04:04 PM
    Alliterative refers to the language style of ancient man. Often the case when there is a limited vocabulary, not the fault of ancient man but vocabulary has expanded greatly in 2000 years. No I don't dispute any of the things you outlined in your first paragraph.
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2019, 05:10 PM
    No I don't dispute any of the things you outlined in your first paragraph.
    Practically everyone accepts parts of the Bible as literal accounts, so the question becomes one of what basis is used to decide what is literal and what is symbolic. Perhaps fundamentalism is a matter of degree.

Alliterative refers to the language style of ancient man.
    Not really following you on that one. Alliterative refers to the use of alliteration. Are you saying that ancient writers usually wrote with alliteration?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

From Religious Affiliation to No Religious Association [ 17 Answers ]

I just wanted to know if there are people here who have chosen to leave a certain religious community and did not replace it with another...like going from Christianity to atheism for example... If so, what was it like to tell your family? Did they push you away, try to change you, or accept...

Fundamentalism [ 3 Answers ]

What are the differnces and similarities between fundamentalism in in Abrahamic religions?

Fundamentalism and religion [ 6 Answers ]

To be fundamentalist about religion is considered fanaticism, which leads to extreme stands and actions to protect one's beliefs and to uphold them above all else. This sounds like something to be avoided at all costs... is there any other way to read this?

Religious Mystery [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a movie with the following actors: Robert Di Niro, Robert Divall, Charles Durney. It was a Catholic theme movie that had mystery and complications. I think the movie was made around 1980. I can't seem to remember the title though.? Please reply asap if you have any info that...

View more questions Search