Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2019, 06:44 PM
    Hold on to your hat! 4th of July excitement!
    From USA Today:

Today [Wednesday, 06/19/19] the Trump administration announced plans for a unique July Fourth celebration – a made-for-TV event starring President Donald J. Trump.

Trump will deliver a speech from the Lincoln Memorial as part of a daylong series of events that includes a military-themed parade near the National Mall and flyovers featuring planes used for Air Force One, officials said.

“There is no more appropriate place to celebrate the anniversary of American independence than among the Nation’s monuments on the National Mall and the memorials to the service men and women who have defended the United States for the past 243 years,” Interior Secretary David Bernhardt said in a statement.

Trump's address at the Lincoln Memorial, to be delivered at a "Salute to America" event at 6:30 p.m. on Independence Day, is designed "to honor America’s armed forces," the Interior Department said.

The president, who pushed for new July Fourth events based on a military parade he saw in France, promoted the new holiday approach during his speech Tuesday announcing his re-election bid. He urged supporters in Orlando, Florida, to bring flags to the event.

Critics of the idea say it would turn a popular holiday tradition into a political rally. They question how the Trump-inspired events will affect traditional Fourth of July programs such as the annual concert on Capitol Hill featuring various entertainers and the National Symphony orchestra.

"Our founders were ready to give their lives for this country and that's what we celebrate on the Fourth of July," Democratic strategist Jesse Ferguson said. "Donald Trump wants to basically cancel the nonpartisan celebration of America and force us to celebrate him, instead."

The administration listed the traditional "Capitol Fourth Concert" on the west lawn of the Capitol as one of the holiday events. It is now joined by others that include:
    1) a "National Independence Day parade" to run 10 blocks along Constitution Avenue, which parallels the National Mall. It will feature marching bands, fife and drum corps, floats, military units, giant balloons, equestrian, and drill teams.
    2) a "Salute to America" at the Lincoln Memorial in which Trump " leads a celebration of America’s military with music, military demonstrations and flyovers," according to the Interior Department.
    3) the traditional fireworks display, the launch for which has been moved to West Potomac Park and behind the Lincoln Memorial.

Trump has tweeted: "HOLD THE DATE! We will be having one of the biggest gatherings in the history of Washington, D.C., on July 4th. It will be called 'A Salute To America' and will be held at the Lincoln Memorial. Major fireworks display, entertainment and an address by your favorite President, me!"
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2019, 08:50 PM
    another REALLY, REALLY, BIG PHOTO OP starring the biggest mouth in America
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 20, 2019, 05:27 AM
    Free food? Catered by McDonalds paid for by taxpayers?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2019, 01:44 PM
    I don't like it .Besides stroking his ego the only real purpose of this is to get higher Trump Hotel fees for the week. Most hotels in DC have vacancies that run about $400 . Trumps hotel is sold out the 3rd and 4th at prices that more than double the average .
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2019, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I don't like it .Besides stroking his ego the only real purpose of this is to get higher Trump Hotel fees for the week. Most hotels in DC have vacancies that run about $400 . Trumps hotel is sold out the 3rd and 4th at prices that more than double the average .

I don't like it either. The guy is completely classless, and will do anything for a buck.

This country is paying for its sins - African slavery, Native American genocide, and now concentration camps for children - the last one dictated by Trump.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2019, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    I don't like it either. The guy is completely classless, and will do anything for a buck.

This country is paying for its sins - African slavery, Native American genocide, and now concentration camps for children - the last one dictated by Trump.

They had to do something with those FEMA camps, why not home the homeless and destitute?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2019, 06:08 PM
    another myth .there are no FEMA camps. As for 'concentration camps for children';I just addressed it in the appropriate posting .

The French celebrate Bastile Day with marshall parades . That is not the American way . Anyone with an ounce of sense leaves DC for the beaches on the 4th of July holiday.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2019, 06:45 PM
    Not to mention tens of millions of abortions, a government fostered abandonment of family structure, and tens of trillions of dollars of government debt.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2019, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Not to mention tens of millions of abortions, a government fostered abandonment of family structure, and tens of trillions of dollars of government debt.
    Interesting priorities!

I would have expected nothing else from you.
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2019, 06:30 AM
    Interesting priorities!
    Yep. Human lives are a great priority. Families are a great priority. Not bringing about the bankruptcy of our country is a great priority. You can be sure to expect a concern for these issues from me.

Your concern was for two issues that were effectively ended over a century ago and one issue that is a complete fabrication. There are no concentration camps. I would suggest you shift your concerns to current issues that are real problems.
    Expert

Jun 23, 2019, 06:51 AM
    This is what we get for electing a corrupt business man to the White House because we want to end abortions, and more conservative judges while we victimize poor women and children, especially those who brave a long perilous journey running from deplorable dangerous conditions only to be treated like animals.

Your Christian values suck!
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2019, 07:06 AM
    we victimize poor women and children, especially those who brave a long perilous journey running from deplorable dangerous conditions only to be treated like animals.
    Are you talking about the people who are illegally crossing our southern border and who are being treated in the same manner as Obama treated them?

Build the wall and we stop this nonsense. I'm all for treating people with kindness, but when your border is being overrun with people who are breaking the law, then it becomes a very difficult situation.

Your position is the typical liberal one. You are all in favor of someone else helping these people.
    Expert

Jun 23, 2019, 09:01 AM
    Are you talking about the people who are illegally crossing our southern border and who are being treated in the same manner as Obama treated them?
    Seeking asylum is LEGAL...and you would know that if you read the LAW and I provided you a link long ago.

Build the wall and we stop this nonsense. I'm all for treating people with kindness, but when your border is being overrun with people who are breaking the law, then it becomes a very difficult situation.
    See above, the law hasn't been broken, implementing the process provided by the law is what's broken.

Your position is the typical liberal one. You are all in favor of someone else helping these people.
    If following our laws is liberal okay I'm a liberal. I find it fascinating that migrants know our laws better than some of our fellow citizens and that's a shame. Yes I am in favor of our government helping people who need it as a collective society, whether you right wing religious loons like it or not. Your charity helps a few maybe but mine can help many and is not limited to discriminatory inadequate practice and policy, though I will admit there is room for improvement.

We should certainly be doing better as a country despite the huge challenges we face.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Jun 23, 2019, 09:29 AM
    Your Christian values suck!
    Oppose to (relying on the moral judgments of Ph.D.'s and Oscar winners)?

We should certainly be doing better as a country despite the huge challenges we face.

As technology advances, so, too, does the shading of moral choices that used to seem black or white.

Jesus is our only hope.
    Expert

Jun 23, 2019, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by waltero View Post
    Oppose to???

relying on the moral judgments of Ph.D.'s and Oscar winners.
    No just my own opinion, mostly observation of words and deeds. There is no room for me to condone the abuse and oppression of those that can least resist such tactics.

[QUOTEAs technology advances, so, too, does the shading of moral choices that used to seem black or white.[/QUOTE]

I sort of see your point. However I do think we have the technology now to do the right thing for humans in need.

Jesus is our only hope.
    Jesus IS HOPE, but not the ONLY hope, as one can still find the path of Good Orderly Direction whether you believe in Jesus or not, but his example is one that can be emulated.
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2019, 11:45 AM
    Seeking asylum is LEGAL...and you would know that if you read the LAW and I provided you a link long ago.
    I am aware of that, but I understand that most of those seeking asylum are really just seeking entrance. They full well know that the crazy laws we have makes seeking asylum an avenue into illegal entrance. 90% of them never show up for the hearing.
    Expert

Jun 23, 2019, 11:53 AM
    Hmm, since you saw all this coming, you should have been ready with food water and judges to speed up the process. Problem solved! No cages needed! Of course then the dufus and guys like you wouldn't have much to beetch about and thump your chests in self righteous indignation at some helpless poor people. Throw in a few more bucks you could help Mexico feed and shelter a few kids and women, and look like compassionate thoughtful CHRISTIANS!
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2019, 11:58 AM
    Hmm, since you saw all this coming, you should have been ready with food water and judges to speed up the process.
    Yeah, like your beloved Mr. Obama had eight years to see this coming and what did he do? If you say, "basically nothing", then you get to go to the front of the line. This blind love of all things Obama and blind hatred of all things Trump really gets kind of old. A little objectivity would be refreshing.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2019, 12:05 PM
    blind hatred of all things Trump really gets kind of old..
    The hatred of Obama is all yours. OWN IT!
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2019, 12:07 PM
    The hatred of Obama is all yours. OWN IT!
    I am happy to own my resistance to the king of abortion, deficit spending, political lying, and governmental scandal. I don't hate the man, but I despised many of his policies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unearned rent had a credit balance on July 31 of 2,700, on July 31 the balance was a [ 1 Answers ]

Unearned Rent had a credit balance of 2,700 on July 1st, on July 31st the balance was 700, what is the adjusting Journal entry?

I suppose to see my period on the 10 of July and today is 22 of July. [ 0 Answers ]

But today I start to see dark brown coming out, it's was little, I'm a bit worry because I was happy bbefore I taught I'm pregnant. I'm sad.

No excitement [ 20 Answers ]

I don't think I'm depressed. However, everyday just gets more and more uninteresting. I am in college I have school work to do, I have games to play, I have plenty of time on my hands. It's just that nothing seems to get my attention anymore. If I buy a new video game feels like I've played it...

View more questions Search