Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    njsam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 08:38 AM
    NJ-Requested to break lease, not settled yet - 8 months now
    Hi,

I requested to break the lease in Aug 2006 after staying only 2 months after signing 1 year lease. Sent a letter in writing as I lost my job and can not afford to be in the apartment. But, haven't received any information from the apartment. Called several times. Used to call almost like once every week till March and stopped calling now. Don't know what to do. Totally scared and can't pay at all if they ask me to pay all the rent. Paid one and half month rent in advance as well.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Hello n:

Well, you can't negotiate with an answering machine. And, of course, you can't negotiate with NO money.

IF you have some money that you can offer, WRITE them a letter and send it certified, return receipt requested. Do all your correspondence with them in writing from now on. IF you talk with them on the phone, follow it up with a letter that touches on the conversation.

That kind of a letter should get their attention. If it doesn't, there's nothing to do but wait. At least you've documented your intention.

excon
    njsam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello n:

Well, you can't negotiate with an answering machine. And, of course, you can't negotiate with NO money.

IF you have some money that you can offer, WRITE them a letter and send it certified, return receipt requested. Do all your correspondence with them in writing from now on. IF you talk with them on the phone, follow it up with a letter that touches on the conversation.

That kind of a letter should get their attention. If it doesn't, there's nothing to do but wait. At least you've documented your intention.

excon

Thanks for the reply. If they get back to me and ask me to pay entire amount, what are the options I have to defend myself?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NJ - Lease Break before Move In [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I signed 1 year lease for an apartment unit on March 10, 2007. I was suppose to move in on April 1st, but I sent a lease break notice on March 20, 2007 as my work location was changed. I have paid for April rent and looks like the until will not be rented for few months. I requested the...

Break Oregon lease [ 1 Answers ]

I signed a 12 month lease in October 2006. It is a privately owned condo and I signed the lease with a property management company. In the first couple of weeks we started having problems. Dog owners not picking up after their dogs and people just throwing garbage on the ground not into the huge...

Can I break my lease [ 2 Answers ]

Can I as a tenant break my lease and what happens if I do this is a Texas realtors lease

Can I break the lease early [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I signed a 1year lease 3 months ago. We just broke up and I can't afford to pay the 1500 a month alone. I need to move out. I live in Florida and will move to NY with family. Is it true that in Fl you can break a lease if you move out of the state?

Can I break the lease? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm in a one year lease on a house and I've decided to buy a home instead of rent. I'll be closing on the house that I'm buying at the end of this month and I have notified my landlord verbally but not in writing yet. He said that I would be stuck in the lease until it was up so I'll be paying my...

View more questions Search