Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hi2chaitanya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2019, 06:37 AM
    Personal exemption suspended for those filing 1040NR in tax year 2018
    Hello !

Iam resident of India, below 59 years age. I have a Traditional IRA account in US from my work in US. I did early withdraw from IRA during 2018 of $ 4000. I have no other income in US, other than IRA withdrawal.

Until 2017, there was a "personal exemption" of $4050. So, my only tax is the 10% early withdrawal penalty. So, my tax was $ 400.

In 2018, since personal exemption is removed, it appears that i have to pay additional tax of around $400. Total tax for $4000 withdrawal would be around $800.

1. Is my understanding correct about the additional tax implication because of suspension of "personal exemption" for NRA's ? Is there any solution to this ?

2. My IRA custodian has not withheld any tax, and issued form 1042-s. It appears from 1042-s that withholding is not done because of US-India tax treaty. Is the tax treaty only for WITHHOLDING of taxes, or does the tax treaty EXEMPT US-tax itself ? Iam probably being little too optimistic here. But just want to double check.

Thanks

(PS: I've gone through previous posts and found them helpful. Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert for your service ! ).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 17, 2019, 06:44 AM
    Your understanding is correct.

Unfortunately, the IRS custodian was NOT correct in failing to withhold taxes, because the IRA is NOT considered to be a pension as defined by the tax treaty, so you will owe $800 in taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

E-File - Filed 1040NR last year; Filing 1040 this year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I had filed 1040NR last year by mail, and am trying to e-file 1040 this year. My return got rejected based on AGI from last year's 1040NR. I tried getting electronic PIN from IRS website, but it didn't give me and instead asked me to put 0 as AGI if I have never filed before. My question:...

What was the total deduction for a Non resident allien for year 2009 filing 1040NR? [ 1 Answers ]

What was the total deduction for a Non resident alien for year 2009 filing 1040NR?

Spouse exemption in 1040NR [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I qualify to file return under 1040 nr sice I dontsatisfy SPT test for 2007.I got married in dec 24th and my wife joined only in jan 6 to us.we both are from india.can I claim spouse exemption as per us india treaty ,since our marriage was in dec 24th 2007 ,even though my wife joined in jan 6...

Resident doctor on J1 do I get tax exemption in the 2nd year of filing [ 1 Answers ]

I am a resident doctor in PA and in my 2nd year. I am on J1 visa from India. Am I eligible for tax exemption? I f I have filed my taxes is it possible to correct them with the exemption, if applicable?

How to deduct $5k tax treaty exemption from 1040nr [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, While working under OPT in 2007, I got W2 from my emploer recently, not 1040 misc. As a chinese non resident, am I still eligible for the $5k US-CHINA tax treaty exemption? Or the exemption is only eligible for contracting worker which I was not in 2007? If I am eligible, where should I fill...

View more questions Search