Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 10, 2019, 06:16 PM
    Convert numerical grade to letter grade in Excel
    I need to structure a formula in Excel that will take numerical gradesfrom 90 to 100 =A.
    From 80 to 89 = B, From 70 to 79 = C, from 60 to 69 = D and less than or = 59 = F.

I thought you could use an If Then / Else test.
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Jun 11, 2019, 12:53 PM
    You can. Excel's IF() operates like C's (if this ? then this : otherwise this). Taking advantage of the left-to-right processing of the nested IFs:

=IF(D3 > 89, "A", IF(D3 > 79, "B", IF(D3 > 69, "C", IF(D3 > 59, "D", "F"))))

...replacing "D3" in this example with the cell address containing the numerical grade.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 11, 2019, 01:29 PM
    I found the error this afternoon.

Because the numercial grade was presented as a % grade I had to change my IF function value. For example, =IF(L3>=90,"A") became =IF(L3>=0.90,"A") once I did that the entire string worked just fine.
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Jun 12, 2019, 05:16 AM
    Roger that. Small thing: If you define your breakpoints as 89, 79, ..., as I have in my example, rather than 90, 80, etc., then your inequalities in the formula can be strict ">" rather than of the ">=" form.

Makes for a wee bit shorter code, but OTOH doesn't work if scores like 89.52 are possible (in which case ">= 90" is more foolproof than "> 89.99".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lens for grade 3 and grade 4 in diabetic person wch lens best [ 2 Answers ]

I hv diabeticssince 2 yrs I hv grade 3 cataract in left eye and grade 4 in right eye I want to which type of lens are best for me wch company and were I cn get it done near andgeri I'm 58 yrs of age

How do I convert a numerical date to text in OpenOffice Writer? [ 0 Answers ]

How do I convert the date 01/01/14 to 1 January 14 in OpenOffice Writer especially in Tables When I draw up a rota it converts the date 1 Jan 14 to numerical 01/01/14 automatically

4-Day Low Grade Fever is Now a High Grade Fever (103.5) [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has had a low grade fever (99-101) for 4 days and it jumped from a low grade fever to high fever (103.5) within an hour. He has been getting fluids (Powerade Zero) and taking Advil every 6-8 hours for the last 3 days. The Advil appears to lower his temperature slightly. He complains of...

Can I skip my child to 6 grade to be in her right grade [ 2 Answers ]

My child work very hard she and the fourth grade need to be and fifth she feeling sad that next year she want be and six grade I do to. Can she go to summer school and skip a grade

I'm 15 and I'm going to 8th grade , I don't want to do 8th grade I want to skip to 9th [ 11 Answers ]

I stayed back in 4th grade and 5th grade , now I'm becoming a 8th grader , I'm really ready for high school even though my grades are a little low , can you help me shoud I move to a other country so they could skip me?

View more questions Search