Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harkplumb Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2019, 05:22 AM
    U.S. Savings bond question
    I am trying to establish the cash-in value on a group of bonds that have been cashed. I know the following about the bonds:

These are all E and EE Bonds that have all reached maturity and were all earning interest beyond their Face Value. And I know the face value of each bond.

I also have a statement from the IRS which indicates the actual earned interest on these bonds when they were cashed.

So...since I know two pieces of factual information about the bonds; Face Value and actual IRS reported earned interest, would I arrive at the actual cash-in value by using the following formula?

KNOWN FACE VALUE + KNOWN EARNED INTEREST = TOTAL CASH-IN VALUE

I have had three people (supposedly experts) say "YES" this formula is correct at arriving at actual cash-in total. However, I had one expert say "No" this is not correct for the following reason: He stated that paper bonds are purchased at 1/2 of the face value and part of the earned interest is what is used to make up the other half of face value; and then earning additional interest beyond the face value of the bond. So he said the CORRECT formula would be:

1/2 OF KNOWN FACE VALUE + KNOWN EARNED INTEREST = TOTAL CASH-IN VALUE.

I'm getting these two conflicting opinions. Which one is correct?
    Specter1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Aug 19, 2019, 05:24 AM
    Series E and EE savings bonds are worth their face value upon maturity. Beyond their maturity date they earn interest based on the attached Treasury Department schedule up until 30 years from the issue date, at which time they cease accruing interest.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/news/...ondratespr.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

EE Savings Bond Transfer [ 1 Answers ]

Alive and well grandfather has series EE svings bonds where he is primary owner and grandmother, now deceased, listed as coowner. Grandfather wants great-grandson to use bonds for education. 1. If we have bonds reissued (form PD F 4000 E) using grandfather still as primary owner but replacing...

Savings bond [ 1 Answers ]

I recently found a $100 savings bond that's 12 yrs old. Should I cash it or hold on to it? Don't really know how the bond works.

Savings Bond [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I forgot about a savings bond we got for our wedding. We don't necessarily want to cash it yet, but we were wondering if there's a way to find out how much it's worth. It's a series EE and it's $1000 issued in December 1999. At least that's what I think. I know it says that...

US Savings Bond [ 5 Answers ]

If I bought a $500 US Savings bond for 1 year, how much money would I make?

US Savings Bond Questions [ 5 Answers ]

I actually have two questions: 1. My elderly grandmother and uncle (her son) have a joint checking account. Uncle passed away suddenly - no will - no children or wife - no estate - no probate. Almost a year later we found some savings bonds in his name (and his deceased wife of 10 yrs ago) on...

View more questions Search