Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Jun 7, 2019, 07:17 PM
    Outdoor outlets fed from inside gfci protected circuit
    Hello all - I want to install 2 exterior outlets on my deck by connecting to an existing circuit that has a gfci installed at the first outlet. I know this will protect the other outlets already downstream, however do I need additional gfcis outside? Its a 20 amp circuit in my kitchen for which the usage is never high so I’m not worried about overloading the circuit. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2019, 04:01 AM
    No additional GFI devices are needed as long as the new receptacles are GFI protected by the interior device.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 12, 2019, 07:23 PM
    Just curious. The kitchen receptacle you are speaking of, is it one of the counter top appliance receptacles?

Jun 12, 2019, 08:53 PM
    Yes it’s a countertop outlet. I know the kitchen is supposed to have its own dedicated line so I guess this would be an issue.

Jun 13, 2019, 02:57 AM
    Yes, it is a code violation. There should be two countertop branch circuits, depending on how old your home is.

Jun 13, 2019, 08:18 AM
    Yes, there are two.

I redid the kitchen last summer and ran all new electric, one 20 amp circuit around the sink side that is GFI protected (the circuit I wanted to tap into) and another 15 amp circuit for the counter on the other side of the room which the lights are also on. The microwave, fridge and dishwasher/garbage disposal each have their own circuits as well. The reason why I wanted to tap into the kitchen circuit is because, while my box isn't overloaded, there are no more spots left for breakers.

I have access to the ceiling in the basement so I will see if there is another circuit that I may be able to tap into and, if so, I put a weather resistant GFI on the first outlet outside, and use a regular weather resistant outlet on the second receptacle. The wire run outside will be in conduit that runs into the basement.

Thanks for your help!

Jun 13, 2019, 01:40 PM
    Okay, the 15 amp circuit you are speaking of is supposed to be the second 20 amp small appliance branch circuit.

If your panelboard is out of space, you can check and see id the panelboard can support "Slimline" circuit breakers or consider adding a secondary panelboard that is fed from the main panelboard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

25-amp branch circuit, condutor derated to 70%. Circuit supplys receptical outlets [ 2 Answers ]

25-amp branch circuit, condutor derated to 70%. Circuit supplys receptacle outlets, the overcurrent device must be sized at not over (15) (20) or (25) amperes? Which is correct?

GFCI's, Outlets [ 3 Answers ]

Don't know if you have heard about the floods in North Dakota, but I am one of the unlucky ones, not so, that it was my main home but a cabin that I built. I have Tamper resistant/water resistant outlets outside. I have tamper resistant gfci's inside. Plus just tamper resistant outlets. Are they...

How to fix my gfci and other outlets [ 6 Answers ]

A row of outlets in my kitchen just stopped working one day. One of them is a gfci. There are 2 other outlets and 2 lights (light switches) on the wall that don't work as well. I checked all my fuses and other gfci in the house. All of them are good. On the gfci that doesn't work, I can't even...

Can I put outside gfci, and laundry gfci outlets together on ciruit? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of redoing my basement, adding a bathroom and laundry room. I would like to have one gfci protected outlet in the bathroom, one in the laundry room, and also add one outside (through the bathroom wall), I also would like a light in the shower stall which will need to be...

GFCI Outlets [ 1 Answers ]

I have a quick question and am hoping for an easy answer... I have just remodeled our kitchen and in doing so wanted to have two circuits at the countertop. I ran a 12/3 wire into the first box, tied the reds together and ran the black and neutral through the GFCI. At the second box, I tied...

View more questions Search