Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SAStults Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2019, 05:17 PM
    How does a dentist determine if a root canal is needed or not?
    Recently I decided after 10+ years that I better get brave and go to the dentist if I want to keep the teeth I have left. So this morning the dentist said I needed a root canal... but am really thinking this is something I don't want to do. Biggest reason being that I am not in any kind of pain. Yes, my teeth are sensitive to cold, but I am not in pain, and have no abscess. I have had all the scaling and root planning procedures done and am in the process of getting all my cavities filled and all the remaining molar roots left in my gums from broken teeth extracted. Mainly I am just trying to decide if I really need to put myself through a root canal.

How does a dentist determine a root canal is needed if there is no pain associated?
    What is the threshold that must be crossed to determine more than a filling is needed, when there is no pain?
    How does a dentist determine whether or not the pulp inside a tooth is infected?
    How does a dentist determine if a tooth is dead or still alive?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 4, 2019, 05:31 PM
    Did you ask the dentist these questions?
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Jun 4, 2019, 07:30 PM
    I've had two Root canals, Neither of them took. The Dentist knew at the time that there was a potential problem with the root canal. He did nothing! They Don't really give a s**t about saving a tooth. They just like to Practice on a willing guinea pig. If you are OK having to go through a few hours of pain followed by (2-4 yrs later)excruciating pain, have them do a Root Canal.
    I've had More than a few teeth pulled, never felt a thing until it came to pulling the tooth that had a Root canal 2 yrs earlier...man that hurt!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 4, 2019, 08:30 PM
    I've had at least five root canals with bridges then added. The root canals each took two visits. I had novacaine, so no pain. Discomfort afterwards was from the injection sites. This was 20+ years ago. Certainly dentistry has improved since then! Btw, I had a terrific dentist who explained to me every step he took.Years later, they are all intact, painless.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Jun 4, 2019, 08:36 PM
    I've at least five root canals with bridges then added.
    Having a bridge might have saved your tooth (root canal)?

@SAStults

If your not a fan of the Dentist, I'd say have it pulled. 10 years is a long time to wait to see a Dentist.
    There is really only minimal pain but there is heavy discomfort. There is absolutely no guarantee the Root Canal will take.
    But anything is worth a try once.

Jun 4, 2019, 10:28 PM
    @ waltero

No... your right... I absolutely hate and have avoided the dentist at all costs... but I had let my teeth get to the point that I am fearful that if I didn't fix them now then I wasn't going to have any teeth by the time I'm 40. I am 30 now and am forcing myself to fix what I have the best I can. I am at least lucky enough to look like I have teeth.... however what you cant see is that I don't have any molars left at all.

Jun 4, 2019, 10:43 PM
    @wondergirl

No I haven't talked to the dentist about it yet, but I plan to when I go next Monday. See I dont have health insurance and I have state funded heath care. So I don't get to pick the dentist I see, and this dentist I have to go to doesn't really tell me anything... I went to the first examination and left with a handful of appointments over the next few months. The last 3 appointments I have attended I didn't know what was going to be done until I was there.

Only thing I can conclude is that because I am on state funded care, he doesn't really care much about me as a patient. But that also makes me feel like they can do whatever procedures they say I need that will be covered by the state and they will get paid for it (whether I need it or not) just like waltero stated ...... that would make me an EASY guinea pig.... in fact all of the dental assistants at this clinic are still students learning to become dentist or periodontist or orthodontist etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dentist did not offer crown after root canal? [ 2 Answers ]

My dentist did a root canal about 14 moths ago. It was my first. I was eating some granola cereal ( which was soft) today and part of my tooth broke off! So I started looking online to see what I should do before getting in to my dentist. Then after researching it seems the majority of people get a...

Why does dentist say I need another root canal? [ 5 Answers ]

When I was fourteen years old, I had a root canal done. Now I am 23 years old, and I have a new dentsit. My new dentist say I need a root canal, but the other dentist who my old dentsist refire me to a dentist when I was fourteen did the root canal. I have a new dentist because my other dentist...

Dentist says my 14 year old needs a root canal. [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 14 years old the dentist says he needs a root canal. My question is after he grows up and his mouth grows won't he need more work to the root canal and a larger tooth?

Why did my dentist put on a crown without a root canal? [ 5 Answers ]

Two years ago my dentist worked with my front incisors which had been broken in a freak pogo-stick accident when I was a child. Way back then, my childhood dentist told me one day the teeth might die and need root canals. Fifteen years later, I developed a blister over one of the incisors and...

Broke a tooth that has a root canal and dentist dismissed me as his patient [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I 'broke' a tooth that contained a large filling and a root canal. Because I have diabetes, leukemia and several other serious health problems, including low platlets, 40ish, my dentist of 18 years informed me that he didn't want me as his patient any long. I presume his liability...

View more questions Search