Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2019, 12:56 PM
    Auto Insurance and registration
    The car registration and insurance ID cards are in the father;s name. But
    the son does all the driving. Do you see a problem if the police pull the son
    over for traffic incident?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 26, 2019, 01:04 PM
    Are the registration papers and insurance cards in the glove compartment or in the son's wallet -- handy and up to date?
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2019, 01:14 PM
    in the glove compartment
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 26, 2019, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    in the glove compartment
    Thanks. How old is the son? Why doesn't Dad drive? Does the son have his own car?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2019, 01:32 PM
    No there is no issue, The father owns the car, so the insurance must be in his name. The son must or should be listed as the primary driver with the insurance company. It will not show his name on the ID card.
    If son gets into accident and is the primary driver, and the son is not listed as a driver on the policy (esp if the son is a minor) the insurance company may refuse to pay and/or only pay a reduced amount
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2019, 03:59 PM
    The son and wife are listed as drivers. But not listed on the insurance ID card.
    But insurance policy has them listed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2019, 04:14 AM
    Insurance card from almost all companies do not list the list of drivers for the vehicles. They merely list the primary insured name, which must match the name the car is registered in. For most states, but not all, all of that information is available for the police officer when he checks the license plate number.

For example here in Illinois, the officer will know who the car is registered to, that address, if the car is insured and if that is up to date.
    (the card may have a longer date but may have been canceled, the officer would know that, also they know if you have a weapons permit. at least here in Illionis, it is connected to drivers license and connected to a car registered in your name
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2019, 07:11 AM
    thanks
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

May 27, 2019, 04:01 PM
    In fact, if you are driving any car and get into an accident, the insurance (Fathers car) might try to have your insurance (If you have a car) cover damages.
    Rare occasions will an insurer not cover an individual. Years ago I went in to sign up for auto insurance. Before I signed the papers, they specifically denied coverage of two people (brother, friend), if they drove my car. One was my brother another was my friend (one no longer lived in the US.) I told them I would not Deny my brother the use of my car, they caved and gave me insurance. Insurance coverage is on the car, so anybody driving that car should be covered, unless specifically specified. Of course the insurance agency can do what ever they please.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2019, 05:24 PM
    Thank You

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to let an auto insurance company know that I aam go to sue for auto accident [ 2 Answers ]

I was in a car accident and received several ijuries 4 hernaited disc to my neck and one herniated disc s-1 and bulging disc l-5 and at t12 bulging disc. And a couple of months later I was rear ended by another driver she admitted fault to her insurance company can I sue for aggrevation of previous...

My "predicament" regarding registration and auto insurance for a new car - help! [ 8 Answers ]

Urgent. I am going about a new car tomorrow, but I have a predicament! My Mother (a senior) is purchasing the new car, and it will be registered in her name, but I will be the sole driver - and the car will be mine. I will be repaying her monthly. She has a car which she seldom drives, and when...

Deduction for auto registration fee [ 1 Answers ]

The state of TN includes a "wheel tax" as part of auto registration fees. Is this portion deductible on federal tax returns?

Auto registration [ 5 Answers ]

I have a sticky situation. I am in Virginia. Grandmother has a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Her 57 yo son has posession of the truck he will not title it in his name because he has people after him for leins (unaid taxes) he has no insurance on the truck registration is due next month and I...

Driving with expired registration and insurance [ 10 Answers ]

I'm in State of NJ I was pulled over due to expired registration and unfortunately, with expired insurance also. I really overlooked those facts. I was asked to appear in court. Now, my problem is... what do I need to do? What do I need to expect? Do I need an attorney? I am pleading guilty. I...

View more questions Search