Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2019, 07:30 AM
    Mirror is coming loose
    I have a large (approx. 5' x 7') mirror over my bathroom double vanity with a lower corner that has come loose from the wall. I guess after 25 years the mastic let go of either the mirror, such that now there is 1/8" or so of play when I push on the corner. My question is how to I secure the mirror in the simplest manner?

A couple of notes in case it might be important:
    • A few years ago we changed the countertop and backsplash, and there is a 1/8" gap between the bottom of the mirror and the quartz backsplash.
    • There are no visible clips on the mirror, however there is a light fixture in the middle that is obviously tied into the wall.

I was thinking of using a tube of mirror mastic and fashioning an extension of thin-walled plastic tubing to get behind the mirror and squirting a glob, but before proceeding I thought it wise to consult some experts!

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    WallyH
    Specter1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Sep 2, 2019, 07:21 PM
    I would suggest just using a putty knife to spread adhesive behind the mirror and fashion a temporary 2 x 4 horizontal brace from the opposite wall to keep moderate pressure on the mirror until the adhesive sets. A few shims will help to adjust the amount of pressure applied, but be careful not to over do it or you might be buying a new mirror, and one that big is not cheap. Alternatively screw a 2 x 4 into wall studs on either side of the mirror to clamp the bottom of the mirror to the wall until it cures, but this method means patching holes and painting afterwards. If you are going to use a spray adhesive I suggest 3M High Strength 90 Contact Adhesive, which is supposed to be the strongest bonding contact cement. It does not have a spray tube but you might be able to swap spray heads with an aerosol sprayer that does have a tube like Great Stuff Insulation or WD-40.

ADD: Just an after-thought, if the gap is only 1/8" wide, why not fill it with clear silicone caulk?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-17-6-oz-Hi-Strength-90-Spray-Adhesive-90-24/100151277

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile grout coming loose [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, I had all floors in my house tiled with porceline tiles 5 years ago, the grout was getting rather tired looking and a couple of areas were cracking so we gor a tiler to remove the old grout and replace it ( bad mistake ). The job looked fine but after about 4 weeks the grout has started to...

Snowblower auger coming loose [ 1 Answers ]

My Craftsman 5 HP snow blower has a problem where the auger shaft has come off the auger bearings (the plastic pieces where the auger shaft fit into and are attached to the auger housing). Has anyone had this problem? Do you bang away on the auger housing until it gets narrow enough to hold the...

Gums coming loose after extraction [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a moler removed followed by a bone graft last Tuesday . The dentist stitched me up after the procedure and I was to have the sutchers removed 10 days after. Anyway, my sutchers have all come out on their own. I phoned the dentist and she said that was okay. I have a problem with the...

2004 jeep cherokee loose outside mirror assembly [ 8 Answers ]

The outside driver electric mirror is loose and I would like to know how to tighten it. I can't seem to find anything I can tighten, all I can see or feel are the wires.. Thank you, Jim

How dangerous is a loose live wire coming out of the ground? [ 1 Answers ]

There is a loose live wire coming up out of the ground at my church. They recently built a new building. But this wire is just laying on top of the ground exposed. I thought it was trash so I picked it up to throw it away. There was a small boom sound, sparks flew out and when I threw it down on...

View more questions Search