Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ljdonateli Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2019, 06:02 PM
    Will
    I recently learned by word of mouth that my sister received a will which was intended for me. This will evidently names me as executor of my late mother's estate. I have attempted contacting my sister regarding this will. She will not answer her phone or respond to my messages. I also heard that she was very upset about the will. I don't know from where she received it. I've tried checking with the county offices and found no info. Is she legally obligated to notify me or to give me the will?

Thanks for any help answering my question!
    ljdonateli
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 21, 2019, 06:39 AM
    Whose will is it? Unlikely a living person would file a will with the county. Word of mouth, and sending a copy to the wrong person is also VERY dubious. No, she has no obligation to send you a will from anyone if she in deed receives it. Mistake or NOT, and that's a question in of itself. I would be very suspicious of a third party making such claims. How would they know? Your question just brings many other questions to my mind, since I don't know any of you.

Better details might bring clarity.
    ljdonateli Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2019, 02:56 PM
    I have since learned that it was filed with the legal division of the regional Seventh Day Adventist Church in Northern California. I spoke with them just today. They didn't have any information regarding my where location so they sent it to my sister who then contacted them and was very evasive when they asked for my contact info. I will be receiving a copy of the will soon. It was filed with the church back in 1983 I think. I knew that she had filed a will with them but I did not know that she had named me as the executor. My greedy sister is going to be very unhappy. She had plans to sell everything and take off with the money. Regardless of how dishonest she is, I will give her half of everything.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2019, 05:01 PM
    It would help in the questions.

You explain the issues of
    1. who died (if they did)
    2 where located, since wills are state specific in the US

After that, one person is not automaticaly anything, unless there is a will, so a sister could not just sell and take things

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search