Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trophytrail Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2019, 12:35 PM
    2001 pontiac grand am se 2.4l
    Hello Im new to this site. But need info on my car? 2001 pontiac grand am se 2.4l. Never failed to start until recently. Turned over fine no start. Shot either in air intake and it started. So replaced fuel pump (all). Started right up. Didnt drive for a few days. Wouldnt start. Messed with the relays. it started. Its happened several times since. some times pumped gas pedal and started. Some times had to use either again. today it quit while I was driving. Had to use starting fluid again. It was a total at one time has salvage title. I got it with 14,660 miles on it. Is this something that happens with this model or is the crash starting to cause problems. Its a great car. Just dont want to take it and have it worked on 10 times and have the same problem. HELP!! I am fairly capable of working on it my self. Any ideas??? Thanks James A. Dalton
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 13, 2019, 02:27 PM
    It’s likely you are experiencing intermittent Ignition Control Module failure. Install a new ACDelco ICM, Part Number D1975F, and I think it will run like new. I replaced one of these on your identical car 5 years ago. Be sure to apply heat transfer grease to the bottom of the heat sink, otherwise it will soon fail. Easy 20 minute job.

The ICM is located on the bottom of the large cover plate over the spark plugs. Disconnect the negative battery cable, prior to beginning work.

ICMs are “electronic points.” When they start to fail, the spark plugs don’t fire properly. That is why it sometimes only starts with starting fluid. Soon, the starting fluid will not work. The car dying on you while driving makes it unsafe to drive.
    trophytrail Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2019, 09:39 AM
    Thank you very much I will do this. It quit running on me while I was driving the other day, first time. My friend used it his morning to go to the DR. He had to use starting fluid this morning and it quit running on him a block away from my house.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2019, 10:06 AM
    Great. Keep us posted with the results.
    Uber Member

May 19, 2019, 04:54 AM
    One of the consequences of intermittent ICM failure is the gas is not completely burned. Raw gas can build-up in the exhaust system and destroy the catalytic converter. When the engine does start, there’s also the possibility the gas in the exhaust system ignites and blows the exhaust system off the car.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 19, 2019, 11:02 AM
    A bad tank of gas will cause the same problems also, and maybe some gas treatments would be the first step. Cheaper anyway.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2019, 12:03 PM
    Did you solve the problem?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Won't turn over [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2001 pontiac grand am gt 6 cylnder ( my girl friends car ) the car has issues with cranking . No noise from any starter , battery , any life from the engine trying to start , you turn the key.the gauges go from least to greatest and then back to least and that is it! That is the amount of...

2001 pontiac grand am 2.4/abs [ 2 Answers ]

2001 pontiac grand am 2.4/abs troubleshoot my wife's car I changed the front abs and wheelbearings is there any abs sencors in the rear she has drum brakes

2001 pontiac grand am 2.4 liter won't start [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 2001 pontiac grand am 4 2.4 liter. I drove it home tonight (about 60 mile drive) and shut it off. Came back out about an hour later and drove it across town and shut it off again. It sat for about 2-3 hours. When I came back out to return home it would crank but not start. Cheacked...

Pontiac grand am 2001 4 cy not starting [ 4 Answers ]

This has been an intermittant problem engine goes dead then cranks up this time drove home parked overnite will turn over but will not run need help badly

2001 Pontiac Grand Am 2.4 [ 2 Answers ]

Just recently I noticed that when I turn my vechicle off, the door chime remains on. I tried taking out some fuses that I believed would be for the door chime, but to no avail. Because of the constant dinging, my battery is dead, and once I jump the car, the chiming still remains on, and once...

View more questions Search