Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nitinr1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2005, 07:03 PM
    1099 Misc question
    Hi,
    I worked as an Independent Contractor for a few months and received a 1099 Misc for the same. As I was going through the instructions for Schedule C-EZ, it said I need to fill the form if I am continuing the business.. which I am not. So should I include the amount in 1099 MISC in Other Income section of 1040 NR. And if yes, what should be the activity that I must specify?
    Thanks in advance.
    Nitin
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2005, 08:22 AM
    nitinr1:

Do not use the "Other Income" (Line 21 on Form 1040NR) for the Form 1099-MISC income if the income is listed in Block 7 (Nonemployee Compensation) of the Form 1099-MISC. If Block 7 is used, you must list the income on a Schedule C/C-EZ.

You can list it in "Other Income" only if the income is listed in Block 3 (Other Income ) of the Form 1099-MISC.
    rabihm7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2005, 04:12 PM
    But
    But, he is Non Resident alien. Is he required to report the 1099-MISC Nonemployee Compensations for tax purposes?
    Please refer to " F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax Question" thread.

Robbie,
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 31, 2005, 08:55 AM
    Robbie:

I understand that he is a nonresident alien. Income earned as an independent contractor has to be reported on Schedule C/C-EZ whether he is a resident alien, nonresident alien or U.S. citizen.

The Schedule C/C-EZ is used to report self-employment income. It also allows the taxpayer to claim certain expenses to reduce the taxable income reported on the Schedule C.

The bottom-line results of the Schedule C/C-EZ would be reported on Form 1040NR on line 13. If he is liable for self-employment taxes, the results would also be transferred to Schedule SE to allow for computation of self-employment taxes.
    rabihm7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2005, 11:07 AM
    Publication 533
    Thank you for your quick reply.

I quote from Pub 533.
    "Special Rules and Exceptions
    Aliens. Resident aliens are generally subject to the same rules that apply to U.S. citizens. Nonresident aliens are not subject to SE tax. Residents of the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or American Samoa, however, are subject to the tax. For SE tax purposes, they are not nonresident aliens. For more information on aliens, see Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens. "
    Link : http://www.irs.gov/publications/p533/ar02.html#d0e488
    What do you think?

R
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 31, 2005, 01:43 PM
    Robbie:

I do not think you are getting my point. Just because you fill out the Schedule C does not mean you will pay self-employment taxes; these taxes are calculated separately on Schedule SE.

The reason you fill out the Schedule C is to allow you to deduct legitimate expenses incurred while earning the income reported on Form 1099-MISC. However, only income reported in Block 7 of Form 1099-MISC should generate a Schedule C.

Income reported in Block 3 of Form 1099-MISC may be other types of income which did NOT result from self-employment activities (like jury duty pay or special taxable government grants). This income has to be reported as taxable income, but not on Schedule C, because it was not self-employment income and therefore is not eligible for deductions for expenses and not liable for self-employment tax consideration.

If Nitinr1 is a nonresident alien and files his tax return as a nonresident alien, he is exempt from self-employment taxes. Even so, he still has to file the Form Schedule C/C-EZ.
    nitinr1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2005, 04:54 PM
    Taxes on OPT
    Hi,
    Thanks for your replies. I was on OPT when I was working as a Independent Contractor. My itemized deductions are less than Standard and hence am using the Standard.
    I have heard, correct me if I am wrong, that usually you are not charged for working on OPT i.e it is non-taxable.
    Is this true?

If yes what part of the form signifies this?/
    Thanks
    Nitin
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2005, 08:07 AM
    Nitinr1:

You misunderstood.

While on F-1 status, you do not pay Social Security or Medicare taxes.

You do pay income taxes, both federal and to the state you live in (unless your state does not have an income tax).
    bluestocking Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 05:09 PM
    I am also an NR, and I understood that I need to fill out C/C EZ but will not be subject to SE tax. But note that I also read that NR's are NOT eligible to take the standard deduction.
    I have also been on OPT and bought tools of the trade while doing that. Does anyone know if I have to depreciate those, considering that I will not be paying US tax next year? Can I claim the full amount?
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 03:01 PM
    You can depreciate it, but you can also deduct the full amount under Section 179 on Form 4562.

If you have not done your taxes yet, get professional help. Section 179 deductions can be tricky for a layman.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-MISC and w2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Me and my wife both were on H1 last year. I had 2 W2s last year, and my wife was working as a contractor for the first 3 months last year and then she was on a W2 for the rest of the year. She got a 1099-MISC from the contractor for the first three months of last year. Could you tell me...

1099-misc Help! [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Okay, so here is a tough one for you... hopefully you can help me out! This is very confusing for me! I am Canadian and work in the United States under the Trade NAFTA agreement. I commute almost everyday so I do not live in the US. I work for a very small company where I fall in...

1099-misc [ 1 Answers ]

I filed my taxes and shortly thereafter realized that my 1099-MISC income for contract work was incorrectly reported under box 4 (Federal Income Tax Witheld). So, instead of my 1099-MISC showing nonemployee income, it showed that total as being Federal Income Tax Withheld. Do I just let this go...

F1, w-2 and 1099-Misc [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I did go across lot of threads and it helped me. But I hope I can get answers to my queries. I was on F1- status throughout last year. However I was paid on 1099-misc and w-2 by two employers. My Questions 1) Do I need to attach 1099-misc or is the employer tax id enough? ...

F1, 1099-misc and w-2s [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new member. Its nice to see so many people here who can help. Here's my situation: My status in 2004: Student on F1 (I still am on F1 until my H1 is approved) Was attending school full-time until: August 19, 2004 Working on OPT since August 20, 2004. My nationality: Indian I...

View more questions Search