Expert

May 9, 2019, 06:17 PM
    Income taxes?

Have you talked to the city?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 9, 2019, 07:00 PM
    Fr Chuck addressed it.

The FIRST step is to determine if withholding is require under city law. If it is, just point that out to the employer and that should take care of the problem.

If it is NOT, I do not think you could FORCE the employer to withhold the taxes.
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

May 10, 2019, 09:50 AM
    Yes, local withholding is required for income taxes, and I did talk to the city. The city also provides the option of paying estimated taxes monthly or quarterly.

More info: I lived in a neighboring city when I started working (decades ago) and when I moved to the city where my workplace jurisdiction is (~10 years ago) I updated my address with my employer but the local taxes still went to the neighboring town. I contacted that city's tax division and they stopped withholding local taxes for that locality. But my current town's tax dept says it is the employer's responsibility to withhold local income taxes, and my employer says "it's up to you to handle that" My state and federal withholding forms are up to date but what can I do about local taxes ? Just estimated payments?
    Senior Tax Expert

May 10, 2019, 12:36 PM
    How much do you like your job?

If a lot, make the estimated tax payments.

If not that much, report your employer to the city and state that he REFUSES to withhold as required by city law. When the city comes after him (and, trust me, they will, probably with a BIG fine for non-compliance), he will be looking for someone to blame, and, more than likely, it will be you, and the cost will probably be your job.

Your choice!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 10, 2019, 01:25 PM
    I wouldn't make this a big deal since you have other options to resolve this issue and it may not be in your interest to open up this can of worms for your boss after he told you it's YOUR responsibility to work this out. I would certainly take the hint, if it were me, as a warning to do as you're told by the boss.
    Senior Tax Expert

May 10, 2019, 01:30 PM
    I believe I just said that, if not quite as eloquently as talaniman.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 10, 2019, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    I believe I just said that, if not quite as eloquently as talaniman.
    Thanks for making my day, ATE! 8D
    Senior Tax Expert

May 10, 2019, 04:35 PM
    My pleasure!
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

May 12, 2019, 08:32 PM
    You're all correct and I have to spread reputation around before I can give you more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had pa local taxes taken out I live in nj do I get this back [ 1 Answers ]

I had pa local taxes taken out I live in nj do I get this back

Why pay for online warrant check when you can just go to local courthouse and ask if [ 17 Answers ]

You have warrants ? If you want to know if you have a arrest warrant out can't you just go to courthouse and ask them to run your name ? Someone told me that they might not have it in their computers so you either have to go to police startion and ask them to do it or else pay for a online...

Local taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My job takes out local taxes for the area where I work, but no local taxes for where I live. Do I apply this without money for my local taxes even though it's not from my locality?

PA Local Wage Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Where is it in Pennsylvania State Law books that individuals must pay local earned income tax quarterly or face penalties? Individuals do not have to pay State or federal taxes quarterly yet local municipalities were gcomes from.ven this reign of terror and nobody can tell me where it I

NYC Local Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Staten Island, and work in New Jersey. I currently have New Jersey worked in state and New York lived in state taxes being deducted from my pay check. Should my employer being deducting New York City Local tax from my check? Thanks!

View more questions Search