Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

May 9, 2019, 05:19 PM
    How do I get cloud flare to let me use wheresgeorge.com
    When I try to access www.wheresgeorge.com from home (using AOL dial up) I get an "access denied" message stating
    "Error 1020 Ray ID: 4d4d30f22a58c1ed • 2019-05-10 16:11:49 UTC
    This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks."

I can access the site from other locations and with wifi so... what gives?
    I understand it blocks according to ip and may have just blanket blocked my AOL area. After being blocked 2 weeks ago I was able to reach the site once to enter some bills (I don't know what changed) but since then "Access Denied"

I'm not a spammer or a hacker. How can I get Cloud Flare to let me use the WG site?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 10, 2019, 01:53 PM
    https://community.cloudflare.com/t/c...s-denied/66439

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en...roubleshooting

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en...-Access-Denied

Error Message:

The owner of this website has forbidden your access based on malicious activity detected from your computer or your network (ip_address). The most likely cause of this is a virus or malware infection on your machine. Please update your anti-virus software and run a full system scan.

Solution:

Cloudflare can not override the security settings the site owner has set for the domain. If you would like to request access to the site, please contact the site owner directly to have them whitelist your IP address. You may need to contact the site owner through an alternative method like a whois search for their contact information.
    wheresgeorge Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 11, 2019, 09:24 AM
    You are using a VPN or other proxy tool hosted on a banned subnet. To access WheresGeorge.com, don't use a VPN or other proxy tool.

May 11, 2019, 02:24 PM
    <You are using a VPN or other proxy tool hosted on a banned subnet. To access WheresGeorge.com, don't use a VPN or other proxy tool. >>

I don't know what that is/means. I just turn on my comp, click aol dialer and the aol shield comes up so I can access sites, read aol news, mail etc. How else can I log on?

And why was it ok with me logging on until a few weeks ago?

May 11, 2019, 02:48 PM
    It's probably AOL shield that's routing your traffic through a proxy server. Try whitelisting "wheresgeorge.com" in AOL shield.

A few weeks ago you must have been connecting direct and not through AOL shield. Who is your ISP/network provider?

May 12, 2019, 08:05 AM
    Dial-up with AOL shield is the only way I can connect from home. AOL is my Internet service provider.

Is it possible the site and/or cloud flare sees multiple entries of bills (I entered 10 or less before this happened) as spam?

May 12, 2019, 09:27 AM
    Are you the site owner? You are using his icon but I don't want to assume.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 12, 2019, 09:31 AM
    As AOL is well known for using proxys to connect to the internet, herein lies your problem.
    All of the dial up connections are aggregated and present to sites as a single connection node.

May 12, 2019, 10:03 AM
    Thank you Curlyben this clears thing up quite a bit for me. I guess if you can't afford dsl or wifi then this hobby is out of the question.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 12, 2019, 10:12 AM
    Are you still on dial up?

May 12, 2019, 10:17 AM
    If you are the site owner, I have no way of contacting you so......I hope someone directed you to this post, this is for you.

The first link in Talaniman's post is quite helpful and on point. Kudos to him/her.

The link addresses error 1020 specifically

If you are the site owner and you want to isolate what rule is being violated,
    -search for the RAYID in the Firewall Events Log to determine which rule is being violated.

Cloudflare Ray ID: 4d5d8f43aa1acef0 • MY IP: 3.18.159.217
    I guess the Ray ID changes with each access attempt. Repeated attempts yielded
    4d5e97bc7aeecf18
    4d5e98122937cf18
    4d5e9a1cb87ccf18
    4d5e9b59fc30cf18
    4d5e9c23b9d5cf18

-review your Firewall Rules. Next, turn off the firewall rules to see if the challenge goes away. Turn them all off, check, and if the error goes away, begin to turn them on one at a time.

May 12, 2019, 05:15 PM
    I am the site owner. The first thing I did was look up the CFRAY you posted first. That's how I know your IP address and that you're using a proxy server, which are banned from accessing the website from the endpoint/proxy server service AOL is using. I know exactly which rule is being triggered.

Sorry, but no, I'm not going to disable any of my firewall rules since they are there for a reason -- to prevent abuse and hacking attacks. That's what Cloudflare is there for. I'm sorry you are having this problem, but unfortunately I can't leave the site compromised for one single user who is using a proxy server or VPN. Try connecting to AOL dial-up but disabling "AOL Shield", or as I suggested above, whitelisting "wheresgeorge.com" in the AOL Shield settings to it doesn't use a proxy server.

Is it possible the site and/or cloudflare sees multiple entries of bills (I entered 10 or less before this happened) as spam?
    No, it has nothing to do with entering bills or actions on the website.

May 12, 2019, 06:11 PM
    Thanks for responding and to clarify--
    Temporarily taking down the firewall was Cloudflare's (not mine) suggestion for the site owner if they wanted to find out why a user was blocked. The info I gave was cut and pasted from Cloudflare's troubleshooting page on error 1020. It is the first link listed in Talaniman's post.

but since you could do that without the site's help/suggestion...thanks anyway. No biggie, I can do without Georging.

unfortunately I can't leave the site compromised for one single user who is using a proxy server or VPN

If there were more than one of us having this problem you would likely not know it because there is no way for them to contact you or the site. I'm just lucky you found out about this post . That also explains the lowered participation and my slim hit rate in the area lately, people may find the bills but they can't enter them unless they have enough dough for wifi or dsl.

Try connecting to AOL dial-up but disabling "AOL Shield
    And as Curlyben said "All of the dial up connections are aggregated and present to sites as a single connection node." so dialing up with another isp may yield the same result.

May 13, 2019, 07:52 AM
    And as Curlyben said "All of the dial up connections are aggregated and present to sites as a single connection node." so dialing up with another isp may yield the same result.
    He meant "All AOL dial up connections are aggregated".. not all ISP connections.

If there were more than one of us having this problem you would likely not know it because there is no way for them to contact you or the site. I'm just lucky you found out about this post . That also explains the lowered participation and my slim hit rate in the area lately, people may find the bills but they can't enter them unless they have enough dough for wifi or dsl.
    There are other ways to reach me.. you can use the email address of any hit notification. There are facebook and twitter pages. People use Wheresgeorge from many other places besides AOL Dial up. Try your local library or coffee shop. A lot of people access the site from their cell phones using the cellular network and most people these days have cable modem. Looking at my traffic patterns, very very very few people dial-up anymore. And only a small number of those use AOL dial up. So the amount of blocked traffic using AOL Shield Dial-up is very small, and you're the first person to report a problem.

As I suggested previously, please try to set AOL Shield to whitelist wheresgeorge.com and that should fix it for you.

May 13, 2019, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresgeorge View Post
    try to set AOL Shield to whitelist wheresgeorge.com and that should fix it for you.
    I'll ask on the help desk how to do that. Thanks for your time and effort WG and everyone!

May 13, 2019, 10:00 AM
    posted on wrong page

May 13, 2019, 10:24 AM
    Looking at my traffic patterns, very very very few people dial-up anymore. And only a small number of those use AOL dial up. So the amount of blocked traffic using AOL Shield Dial-up is very small, and you're the first person to report a problem.
    Just out of curiosity, and a bit off topic---where are the attacks on your site coming from if there are any? I guess I'm saying that if very few people use dial up then the attacks on your site from aol dial up would also be very few if any. And thus, the argument that there is no need to block my puny aol dial up.

Just sayin'. ;)
    BossMan

May 13, 2019, 10:34 AM
    Many sites are using Cloudflare to protect themselves.
    The biggest problem with your AOL connection it that it hides where the end user originates, hence triggering the defenses.

May 13, 2019, 12:03 PM
    Just out of curiosity, and a bit off topic---where are the attacks on your site coming from if there are any? I guess I'm saying that if very few people use dial up then the attacks on your site from aol dial up would also be very few if any. And thus, the argument that there is no need to block my puny aol dial up.

Just sayin'. ;)
    Good question. The problem is not AOL Dial-up. The problem is the proxy server that AOL Shield is using (i.e. paying) to send all their traffic through. The proxy server is looking for bad or rouge/malware/ransomware websites, and blocking your access to them, to keep you safe. It's a good thing to have. But there should be a way to tell the proxy server that "wheresgeorge.com" is a safe website and please allow direct access.

And the proxy server probably serves all kinds of customers, not just AOL dial-up.

The biggest problem with your AOL connection it that it hides where the end user originates, hence triggering the defenses.
    I actually do not have a problem with how AOL hides their users' actual location. AOL has been doing that for as long as AOL has been on the internet. All AOL customers traffic appears to originate out of somewhere in Virginia. The problem is now AOL is using a proxy server, so I don't even know who the traffic is coming from.. it could be anywhere in the world and from any source. People use anonymous proxy servers to attack/hack websites specifically because they are totally anonymous.
    BossMan

May 13, 2019, 12:10 PM
    I actually do not have a problem with how AOL hides their users' actual location. AOL has been doing that for as long as AOL has been on the internet. All AOL customers traffic appears to originate out of somewhere in Virginia. The problem is now AOL is using a proxy server, so I don't even know who the traffic is coming from.. it could be anywhere in the world and from any source. People use anonymous proxy servers to attack/hack websites specifically because they are totally anonymous..
    Yes indeed, that's what triggers the Cloudflare defenses, for that very reason.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Just got my braces off and my teeth seem to flare out? [ 1 Answers ]

Here are some pics, http://www.flickr.com/photos/110424201@N02/ I'm going to ask my orthodontist tomorrow so I just asking to get a second opinion. Is this normal and am I overreacting? Can this be fixed with a retainer or maybe with invisalign? I'm getting an implant done soon (for the obvious...

Eczema flare up [ 0 Answers ]

I'm having a bad eczema flare up on both of my feet. They are extremely swollen, itchy and the left foot has a few blisters. I have been applying cortizone 10 cream, jergens lotion and Neosporin on the blisters. What else is there that I can do to reduce swelling.

Flare up BBQ how to clean [ 1 Answers ]

I recently was a bit of a douche leaving my BBQ in attended with the hood down, it's gas. How do I clean all the soot and charcoal from it?

Does metropolol cause colitus flare ups [ 1 Answers ]

I am taking 25 mg of metropolol for heart pvc's. 4 weeks after starting the meds I am having symptoms of alcertive colitus. I have not had a flare up for over 3 years. Is it possible the meds are causing this problem?

Psoriasis flare up , with new symptoms [ 2 Answers ]

I have been suffering from this disease now for about ten years and at this present time I am in the middle of a moderate to severe flare up , about a few days ago I started experiencing severe pains in the right knee and in both my wrists and also a numbness in my left hand that extends from my...

View more questions Search