Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Smjty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2019, 05:57 PM
    How to remove cover on an old fluorescent fixture
    I have some 1970's fluorescent one bulb fixtures in my kitchen (old fashioned cove ceiling lighting with plastic diffusers mounted to the ceiling and wall at an angle). The fixtures are ceiling mounted close to the wall. There are a few different size fixtures and I have changed ballasts in some of them over the years. This particular 4 foot fixture has a bad tombstone so I am trying to get the cover off to replace it (and also to check the ballast). This is not thin metal like the new fixtures that you squeeze to remove. I see nothing holding the cover and thought it would snap off. No luck at all. I noticed two dimples in the metal sides of the fixture; one dimple at each end (and I feel the same dimples around back) so I figured that they must be there to tell me where the cover is secured. There is no give in the cover where the dimples are located (about 8 inches from each end of the fixture). Something must be there to release as I can't even remove the entire fixture from the ceiling without access. Any ideas? Thank you.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 15, 2019, 11:03 AM
    Some photos of the fixture would be helpful.
    Smjty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2019, 05:26 PM
    Thanks. Will post pictures at the end of the week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change a pull chain fixture to a fluorescent light fixture with a switch ? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install a switch for a pull light fixture. The only power is from the light fixture, but I want to put a light switch on the wall as I enter the room, Can you help ?

Removing ballast cover on fluorescent fixture [ 3 Answers ]

I cannot find a way to remove the ballast cover on one of my fluorescent light fixtures. The cover is in the middle of the fixture, and there are wires coming out of the endcaps going to the lightbulbs. (Unlike other fixtures, I do not need to remove the light bulbs to access the ballast cover.) ...

Hookup for Fluorescent Fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I was given two 4-tube fixtures, which when removed from old location were supposed to be working fine. I have the same problem with both. This fixture has a Magnetek Ballast 780-LR-SLH-QP. It has 4 wires open. 110v applied to the Black and White lights 2 tubes. At the other end of the ballast are...

Fluorescent fixture problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fluorescent over head fixture that doesn't work properly. It takes a long long time to start (like 10 minutes, sometimes). However if I fiddle with the lamps it will start up, and if I have it on for a while, I can turn it off and immediately back on. I don't know if the fixture is bad or...

View more questions Search