Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drojas37 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2019, 05:26 PM
    If you wrap a piece of cotton cloth around a thermometer will temp. rise?
    The options are
    A. Yes because cloth is an insulator of heat
    B. No because cloth is a conductor of heat
    C. Yes because the cloth gets warmer
    D. No because thermometer doesn't generate heat on its own
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 30, 2019, 05:28 PM
    Try it. Science is understood best by experimenting.

Apr 30, 2019, 05:43 PM
    Well ik if it's a fur coat it would keep it insulated so No. but for a cotton cloth I'd assume the same right? The only thing is I don't know WHY and I cant try it because my thermometer has no batteries
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 30, 2019, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by drojas37 View Post
    Well ik if it's a fur coat it would keep it insulated so No. but for a cotton cloth I'd assume the same right? The only thing is I don't know WHY and I cant try it because my thermometer has no batteries
    Goggle this. What kind of thermometer?

Apr 30, 2019, 06:00 PM
    Just a reg. thermometer it doesn't specify. I looked up the law of thermodynamics and I believe it might b D but if you have a thermometer around could u try for me please? Thank uuu :}}}

Apr 30, 2019, 06:38 PM
    There's no pic attached to the question but I'd assume either would be fine :]
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 1, 2019, 11:36 AM
    The only change, according to the first law of thermodynamics, conservation of energy, is when something else makes it change. If the cotton is at the same temperature as the thermometer, what will happen? If hotter? If colder? Rub your hands together. Where did the heat come from? The rise in the temperature of your hand is dependent on the amount of friction generated by rubbing your hands. Nothing changed, mechanical energy was changed to heat. Now, you should be able to answer your own question!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you tell if a piece of fabric is 100% cotton? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you tell if a piece of fabric is 100% cotton?

Chamois Cloth on old piece of art [ 0 Answers ]

I am working with charcoal, but my art became completely covered in black dust and is now destroyed. I know the chamois cloth removes charcoal, will it still work if the charcoal is a few days old?

Temp rise in the house [ 7 Answers ]

Hello folks I have a keepRite Gas furnace with 3 burners high efficiency. THis was installed in the house before I moved in maybe 2002ish I have just started to keep track of the length of time it takes to warm the house up. It seems to take 30ish minutes per 1C. Is this normal? Some other...

Bryant Temp Rise Tooo High [ 3 Answers ]

My 10 year old Bryant gas forced air furnace is distributing hot air that smells HOT. This has continued beyond the early initial fall heat smell period. I measured the plenium temp at 170F after a 10 min burn time. The info plate list the Temp rise as 55-85 F; which would translate to a max outlet...

View more questions Search