Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roba9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2019, 05:00 AM
    Slow bathroom drain in apartment building
    My bathroom drain in older apartment building when both taps are running full force, backs up the drain in about 30 seconds.

P trap is clean. Half force nothing happens. Neighbor above has similar problem.

What is the cause and how is it fixes? Adjoining bathtub doesn't seem to be an issue.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 27, 2019, 06:46 AM
    You have a clog or partial one in a drain line common to both, could be two clogs at different levels. Snake as far a necessary into the P trap. Clearing yours might clear his, if not snake his too.

What is meant by half force?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2019, 09:55 AM
    If it is an apartment, have their staff do the work. If YOU do something wrong, it is going to be YOUR problem.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 27, 2019, 10:20 AM
    Agree with ma0641... if apartment building leave it to the landlord... you break it, my guess is that you'll have to fix it, too!

Otherwise, if the water backs up after 30 seconds then you know the "partial" blockage (as mentioned by talaniman) is probably a number of feet down the drain. Here, remove the Ptrap if possible and snake the distance from the sink over to the toilet drain... the branch drain off the toilet drain is where the blockage is in most cases like this (connection can be close to toilet or further away, but lavatory drains usually connect into the toilet drain).

Be aware that the snake might go up a vent just as quickly as it can go down the drain so plan to snake the drain a number of times to be sure you are snaking the drain and not the vent...see the picture:

Name:  wet vent2019.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  35.4 KBName:  wet vent2019.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  35.4 KB

Your neighbor would need to do this as well if he has the same problem.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow drain in bathroom sink [ 4 Answers ]

I have moved into a home with all new plumbing. The sink in the bathroom drains slow but all other drains in the home work fine. Toilet also flushes fine. I tore the trap apart thinking my kids got something stuck down it but it was clear. I have also snaked the drain and there are no clogs? Any...

Buying an apartment building from father ( no mortgage on apartment building) [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question that I hope you can help me with or at least point me in the right direction to get the required information. My father is 86 and currently owns a single family home ( where he resides) and owns a 4 family apartment building ( No mortgage) . He no longer wants to deal with the...

Slow flush toilet with slow drain bathroom sink [ 3 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased an 8 year old townhouse. We have a double vanity (2 sinks), a toilet, a free standing shower, and a jacuzzi in our master bath. I have a two fold problem which I believe are related. The toilet last week...

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Slow drain in sink bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

What can I do about a sink drain in my bathroom that the water will not drain I tried to snake it but the auger won't run through the line

View more questions Search