Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nickthe6 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2019, 02:45 PM
    Can Someone Read over and Grade My History Paper?
    I'm in a Civil War history class and had to write a paper about Reconstruction. The question goes:

Make an argument in response to this question: Was Reconstruction a failure? Be sure that your essay makes clear how you define success or failure and that you draw from specific material used in this course. A good essay – as with any good argument – will acknowledge ways that one might answer in the alternative. (1200-1300 words)

My teacher doesn't really like me much (for reasons I won't get into) and so I was wondering if my failing grade was because of her bias or because it is actually a bad paper. I would like anyone who is familiar with grading papers or with Civil War history to read over it and give me an honest review. I would also like to know if my teacher was right and what I should work on to do better in the future.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AlLQUHvmpxBSFt4zbXx-o0-h-6MmzHyVoH3yxCg41vU/edit?usp=sharing
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 23, 2019, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickthe6 View Post
    I'm in a Civil War history class and had to write a paper about Reconstruction. The question goes:

Make an argument in response to this question: Was Reconstruction a failure? Be sure that your essay makes clear how you define success or failure and that you draw from specific material used in this course. A good essay – as with any good argument – will acknowledge ways that one might answer in the alternative. (1200-1300 words)

My teacher doesn't really like me much (for reasons I won't get into) and so I was wondering if my failing grade was because of her bias or because it is actually a bad paper. I would like anyone who is familiar with grading papers or with Civil War history to read over it and give me an honest review. I would also like to know if my teacher was right and what I should work on to do better in the future.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    I was a teacher and librarian, and am, in my retirement, a counselor. I'll read it and tell you what I think as per your questions. :)

You're in high school? or what grade?

Apr 23, 2019, 03:45 PM
    I'm in high school and a Jr. I just want to see if it's as bad as my teacher says it is.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 23, 2019, 03:49 PM
    I'm in high school and a Jr. I just want to see if it's as bad as my teacher says it is.
    I just finished reading it for the first time. What did she say was bad?

I had my son, a history buff, read it, and then he and I discussed it. Again, what was her take on it?

Apr 23, 2019, 10:12 PM
    I think I have submitted the pictures but am not sure if you can see them.

I have received a grade of 1 out of 4.
    Attached Images

Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2019, 10:01 AM
    Yes, the photos came through. Will read her comments and show my son. Sit tight and stay tuned!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2019, 12:43 PM
    I read your teacher's comments.

The assignment was:

Your conclusion:

My opinion:
    Your teacher liking you or not isn't the issue. She is correct about this paper. It would have greatly helped your discussion if you would have started each paragraph with a topic sentence. Since you didn't, your arguments are a jumble of information. Apparently, you were supposed to quote from sources and have a bibliography at the end of your paper. You didn't mention the KKK, carpetbaggers, and scalawags, and you didn't explain the political climate. The word count was under the minimum required. All in all, you didn't support your conclusion that Reconstruction was a success (why was it and for whom?).

Would your teacher allow you to redo the paper? I'm willing to help you get your ducks in a row on this paper if that's okay. (And no, I won't rewrite it for you.)

Apr 24, 2019, 02:47 PM
    I don't think my teacher will allow me to redo my paper but I will ask her next time I see her. I want to thank you for helping me, I will definitely remember this the next time I'm writing a paper on something similar. One last thing I'd like to ask, Could you perhaps show me an example of how a topic sentence is structured using one of the examples listed above(KKK, Scalawags, Carpetbaggers). I would really appreciate it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2019, 03:35 PM
    I don't think my teacher will allow me to redo my paper but I will ask her next time I see her. I want to thank you for helping me, I will definitely remember this the next time I'm writing a paper on something similar. One last thing I'd like to ask, Could you perhaps show me an example of how a topic sentence is structured using one of the examples listed above(KKK, Scalawags, Carpetbaggers). I would really appreciate it.
    Following the Civil War, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK), formed by six former officers of the Confederate army, was transformed into groups throughout the South, victimizing newly freed slaves and attempting to restore white supremacy in the South.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

9th grade history project? [ 4 Answers ]

or history class I'm doing a project on Mary Wollstonecraft(not her daughter Mary Shelley who wrote Frankenstein) Okay basically Wollstonecraft was a feminist writer. For my project I have to draw 5 drawings relating to the person(not a self portrait) like for one drawing I wanted to do this:...

Help me find the name of a book I read in 6th grade [ 0 Answers ]

When I was in 6th grade (circa 1990) I read a book in my English class... a fantasy/sci-fi book about 2 kids who somehow end up in this government/world where everyone lives on floors. Each floor is like a caste--sort of a physical manifestation of the levels of professions/education, etc. that...

Grid paper to solve fractions- 5th grade math [ 2 Answers ]

can you show examples of how to use grid paper to solve fractions?=/

Need help on history paper [ 4 Answers ]

Hi and thanks whoever is going to help I'm having a subject on Vietnam war and I need sources with various pictures. Yes I need a lot of PICTURES, not documents. Thanks.

What do I need to now for 8th grade history [ 5 Answers ]

How much history do you need to know for eghth grade? I need to know what to cram, I've been homeschooled and I want to make sure I know it all, I think I do but not sure

View more questions Search