Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    61KAS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2019, 02:45 PM
    Settling a lot in the first month, and settling more each month since. Is this right?
    I finally had what I thought would be the perfect home built and moved into it in May 2018. In June not even a month later there were cracks in each corner of the house and both inside and outside every place something could be pulling apart it was and is. The contractor put some putty in both the inside and outside cracks. A couple months later it looked worse than the first time! Now it is April of 2019 and all of the boards around the windows, the window sills, the corners, crown molding and on crack on the ceiling. The backsplash time in the kitchen now has a gap about an 8th of an inch between the granite countertop and the backsplash, again the contractor says it all normal. Doors will not close or stay shut if you get them closed etc. I have a vaulted back patio with decorative beams between the columns and they are pulling away, one of the beams is now cracked all the way across.
    PLEASE, someone tell me, is this normal? I honestly think it isn't, but every time I try to get it fixed I'm told all of it is normal and there is nothing to do except wait another 6 months and then it should be settled and he (the contractor) will fix the problems! I'm so frustrated!!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2019, 03:17 PM
    No, that is not normal. Complain to the contractor NOW and if necessary, file a complaint with your local building inspection dept.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2019, 04:39 PM
    No, this is not normal.

You need to get with the contractor, but also have another contractor check it out and find out what is going on.

Did they cheapen up or not properly do the foundation?
    Specter1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Aug 31, 2019, 10:29 PM
    This is not normal after 30 years much less 30 days. Contact a structural engineer for soil testing and design recommendations then contact an attorney about suing the assets off of the contractor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to evict month-to-month room mate wthin a month of stay [ 3 Answers ]

I just have a month to month room mate who only within 2 weeks of stay started violating the terms of our agreement. I therefore decided to terminate the contract. Can I evict the person without involving the court. In other words what is the minimum days requirement (in NYC)for this kind of...

Month to month lease amended from 6 month to 12 month is it still a month to month [ 1 Answers ]

I have an original month to month lease set for 6 months At the end of the 6 months, an amendment page was added that reads for this is a 1 year lease Is this still a month to month lease?

Month to month lease Do I still have to pay the full month if I move out in 15 days [ 1 Answers ]

I am on month to month lease now. I want to tell them I want to move on the 15 of October. Am I required to pay a full month rent if I don't be there?

Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease [ 21 Answers ]

I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3 Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I...

Upstate NY Month to Month lease termination- Prorated rent after 1st of next month? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, As a month to month renter in Rochester, NY (outside the city) with no lease, I gave notice on June 3 that I would be moving out on July 1. My landlord proceeded to tell me that I would be responsible for the ENTIRE month of July's rent, even though my 30 day notice would take me to the...

View more questions Search