Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Apr 19, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Dog Drool
    I have a 2 year old female yellow lab.

She seems to have a never-ending pot of drool that we call a mouth. Even when I have not run her yet for the day she drools heavily. She can come up to sniff you and suddenly you are soaked.

Is there a way to control the drool? Is it something they grow out of? I am tired of getting slimed from just petting the dog.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 08:46 PM
    I have heard of cases where there was a foreign object in the dogs gum and removing it helped. Otherwise, it is like the wet area on the floor next to the water dish.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 12:11 AM
    It is possible that the dogs main association with you is - FOOD! :) Labs especially are food motivated. If you think that might be the problem, try having other people feeding her, don't carry treats in your pockets, and prepare the dog's meal while she is outside.

Have you checked the inside of her mouth? As labman said, she could have something lodged in her gums (or teeth). She could also have a bad tooth. Do a thorough inspection of her teeth and gums.

My chocolate lab will drool if he even thinks about meal time. I carry an old facecloth or a napkin in my pocket and wipe his face before petting him within an hour of feeding time or when he knows to expect a reward. He used to drool so bad before his meal that my daughter would say, "It can't be feeding time yet - the drool has only hit the floor twice!" :D

Hope this helps!

Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Morgan dog - stuffed toy dog [ 19 Answers ]

I am looking for an older stuffed dog, a child's toy, that had a rubber squeaker in the nose,  We used to call it a "Morgan" dog,  it had big plactic eyes that had loose black centers,  any info on this toy would be nice.

My dog is 50 days old and is not eating Dog chow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My dog name is scoobee, golden labarador,n is 50 days old,he became thin after vaccination ,got fever.. n when I try to feed him Dog chow he simply deny to intake... kindly suggest me... how to attract him in eating of Dog chow as it contains all the minerals and suppliments to good growing...

Drool, slow urine, dazed, akward sleep [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is sick with some kind of problem. He walks around the house constantly with his mouth open and drooling with a dazed look on his face. He has had this problem before and throws up and starts feeling better. I don't know if its normal for him to get really retarded after eating something...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

Excessive drool in crate/seperation anxiety? [ 1 Answers ]

We rescued a 10 month old mastiff/lab puppy about a week ago, gentle as can be, very smart, learns quickly, loves the kids, just an amazing dog... he is not at all a drooler, but when he goes into his crate and we leave, he drools gallons (and I mean gallons). I know he has been stressed by being...

View more questions Search