Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lxu8888 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2019, 07:14 PM
    Tork Timers 40-Amp SA400
    Dear experts,

My Intermatic T101's motor was dead. I bought a Tork SA400 in local Lowe's store where there is no Intermatic ones in store. I install it according to the instruction. However whatever the SA400 display connected (lighting bulb) or not, the connection has power, but connection 3 does not (see the attached picture). What possible reason can cause this kind of issue or is there any special setting I overlooked on SA400? Please help!
    Thank you very much.

L
    Attached Images

donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 19, 2019, 07:08 AM
    You are not testing the circuit properly.

Position 1 is the Neutral for the circuit. Position 2 is the Line Side connection and Position 3 is the Load side of an internal switch.

Move your red probe to position 1 and then take your test.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 19, 2019, 07:17 AM
    Okay, looking at your meter probe positions, you are measuring from the line side of the switch to the load side of the switch, with the timer circuit in the Off/ OPEN position. That means you are seeing the voltage difference between the Line and the Load side of the switch.

If the timer is active, there would be a zero difference between the Line and Load sides. In your test your meter is telling you that the timer is not active, the internal switch is open.

Look at position 1, I only see one Neutral conductor. There should be two. One Neutral from the Line side and One Neutral from the Load side.

If there is no Neutral from the Load side circuit, then the Load cannot operate.
    lxu8888 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2019, 06:23 PM
    Thank you very much for taking time to help me.
    1) There are 2 lines from the load side. The connector 1 is too small for put three white lines together (including the input side). So I put thee white line together and use a 4th line as a bridge to connect the connector 1 with the three white line.
    2) I tested the voltage between connector 1 and 2, it read 110V
    3) The picture I took is at the moment of activation of the timer (you can see on the screen showing light on). What I expected is the meter should show zero but it is about 110V. I also tested when the timer is off. The read is the same.

To make it simple, whatever the status of the timer is the voltage between connector 2 and 3 is always about 110 V. I wonder if there is an extra setting on the timer I missed.

Once again, thank you so much for help!

L

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Westinghouse, Noma, Stanley... timers, timers, timers; it's that time of eyar again! [ 3 Answers ]

Folks, please try Google or your favorite search engine, and even search this site, before asking how to program your timer. Most of this information is out there if you care to take a minute to look for it.

Timers [ 2 Answers ]

I have three exterior light fixtures on a circuit controlled by two switches and am interested in installing an electronic timer in place of one of the switches. Will a timer work with the second switch still attached? Are there any other issues I need to consider? Andy

Replacing a switch with a timer (Tork 1101) [ 2 Answers ]

Have on switch now continual white continual green . Red top switch to red bottom, black top to black bottom. Do not know to let the ground and neutral to run straight through untouched and how to hook up the red and black to the Torkn 1101

Noma out door timers with P C and E digital timers that do they mean for setting [ 4 Answers ]

Noma outdoor timers with P C and E digital timer programming what do they mean for setting

CFL timers [ 1 Answers ]

Hello My new home has 6 soffit lights with CFL bulbs and one with a halogen bulb on the same switch. Will an electronic timer still not work if I have supplied a "resistive" load to the system by way of the halogen bulb? My electrician says this will not work without a huge mechanical time r...

View more questions Search