Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shasta4737 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2019, 09:54 AM
    Rescue adult dog pees in crate.
    How can I train my 8-year-old rescue dog not to pee in his crate?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2019, 10:19 AM
    Didn't the rescue people tell you his history? Is he afraid to go in? Do you shut the door? How long does he have to be in it? Maybe a former owner put him in a crate for punishment or shut him in too long. Do you take him for walks during the day?
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Apr 20, 2019, 08:22 PM
    Suggestion would be to provide water and feed the pet in the crate. Usually animals will not use the toilet where they eat. Years ago I had to do that with my one Sheltie but she was gated between the kitchen and bedroom and not in a crate. She would go when I walked her but still continued to do her business inside til I put her food where she was gated and that stopped soon after that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Female rescue housetrained but pees on bedding and marks crate. [ 1 Answers ]

We have a female Cocker Spaniel thought to be 4-5 years old. We rescued her about a year ago. She has only had about 4 accidents in the house in that time due to our failure to read her cues. She sleeps in a crate at night and is crated when we go out of the house for more than an hour or so. ...

2 year old rescue dog peeing in her crate [ 9 Answers ]

Just before Christmas we rescued an approximately 2 year old beagle/poodle mix from the local no-kill shelter. We also have a 9 year old English springer spaniel. She was reportedly potty trained and initially seemed to make good on that promise. Despite that, she did not come without baggage....

Rescue peeing in house and crate in spite of training [ 1 Answers ]

We have an 18 mo. Old boxer that is a rescue. We have had him for 2 mo.s. From day one there have been issues with him peeing in our home. We have been treating him as a new puppy from day one. We cannot leave him in the house for longer than 2 hours at a time, this still after 2 months. If we...

2 yo rescue is fouling her crate [ 5 Answers ]

2 months ago, we adopted a 2 year old Jack Russell Terrier. She's a sweet dog and gets along great with our kids. She also seems to be super calm; loves to lay on the bed and relax. Housebreaking is a problem though, when we're not around. Here's the story: She was a breeder's dog and had a...

My adult dog pees in the crate [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all. I adopted a 5 year old jack russel a few months ago. At first, she seemed housebroken, so we didn't crate her after the first few nights. But the accidents became more and more frequent, to the point where they were happening every day. So we started crating her when we went to work....

View more questions Search