Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lesley999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2019, 11:11 AM
    Adult daughters turning against their mothers with silent treatment
    Our daughter 35, a Manager, has given us silent treatment for 3 months. She has 2 kids whom we haven't seen for some time. I have 'phoned ,texted ,and emailed. She does not answer. She took offence at a 'joke' comment my husband made. We said that no offence was intended , at the beginning of all this and that we should move on.
    My husband went to see her 2 weeks into this.S he would not let him in. I went to se her a few weeks later, she would not let me in either.
    A month ago I tried again . This time she let me in and we talked 'normally' (small talk ) But now Silent treatment has started again and we haven't seen or heard from her for 2 weeks.
    I am at a loss what to do. My husband says wait for her to contact us as we have had to make contact with her all the time.
    Please help
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 20, 2019, 08:07 AM
    Your daughter was clearly offended by the "joke," and simply saying "no offense intended, move on" shows that you don't understand why she is so upset. You are trying to brush off her concerns as being trivial, which she probably views as insulting. You must try to understand what it was that your husband said that was so upsetting. My guess is there's a bit of history here, and perhaps the one joke or comment by itself would not be expected to illicit such a strong reaction, but as part of an ongoing series of comments or a history of her feeling belittled has led to this. So my suggestion is think about what has transpired here, try to think from her point of view, and when you talk to her try to understand deeply what the root issues are, and tell her specifically how both you and your husband's behavior will change. Do not be dismissive of her concerns. It will take time, but I hope that over the next few weeks or months you can come to an amicable understanding.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Apr 20, 2019, 03:38 PM
    Sometimes people need there space. Offer her financial help, bribe her. Take an interest in the kids and be real grandparents.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2019, 04:38 PM
    There is most likely much more to this, long before one "joke" the joke may have been the final straw.

In that said, you just stop begging, consider other issues that may be there, and wait for them to be willing to talk
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 20, 2019, 04:49 PM
    Has she ever done this before? If so for how long? How has the relationships been before? When my kids get a bug up their butt and want to act distant, we generally leave them alone until THEY are ready. Is your husband her step dad? Seems like it from the way you wrote this, so am I wrong to suspect some kind of rift/resentment between them? Is she a single mom, or married? How old are the grand babies? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to understand. I have a moody daughter, who does the same thing from time to time so I can relate to that silent treatment a bit. Usually it's more about her than you, but waiting for them to get over it is draining, especially with grand kids, and I doubt this was a spur at the moment deal. More like it was brewing for a while.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Silent Treatment [ 3 Answers ]

First of all, thanks to the users of this site that replied to my previous posts a while ago. Also, thanks for all of the people asking questions, it seems we all deal with very similar feelings/emotions/questions. Anyway. I have been seeing a gal for almost 2 months. Not boyfriend/girlfriend...

What does this silent treatment mean - is he blowing me off? [ 13 Answers ]

I’ve been dating this guy for over a month now. I fell for him on our first date – he’s told me he likes me too. We’ve met each others friends. I had a home party Sat evening & he was invited. When I was confirming with him on Friday he asked what my plans were for the Friday evening. I told him I...

He plays the silent treatment game [ 4 Answers ]

I am 10 years older than my husband and have already been divorced once. I thought going into this new marriage I was ready to face the things I have learned already from experience. Not the case. He and I have a lot of similar interests, gaming, poker, outdoors and we can fight about any of...

The Silent Treatment [ 2 Answers ]

A man and his wife were having some problems at home And were giving each other the silent treatment. Suddenly, the man realized that the next day, he would need his wife to wake him At 5:0 0 AM for an early morning business flight. Not wanting to be the first to break the silence (and...

The silent treatment [ 32 Answers ]

Hi all! Its been a while since I posted but I'm back again! My man and I haven't spoke since Sat evening. Well here goes :- Sat late afternoon I got my period and when I get my period I'm very much in pain and become extra sensitive that I know. My man was playing loud music and he knows...

View more questions Search