Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moviedoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2019, 10:33 AM
    Can landlord in Pittsburgh require that rent be paid two full months in advance?
    My son is trying to rent an off-campus apartment. We put down a one-month security deposit to hold the place, but when we got the lease, all the rent due dates are two full months in advance. In other words, by the time he takes possession on August 1 after 6 p.m. (as lease stipulates), he would have paid August's rent on June 1, September's rent on July 1 and October's rent earlier in the day on August 1. I want to walk away, but they said the security deposit is nonrefundable. If this payment schedule is outside the law, I thought maybe I could get the deposit back. Note: we have not yet SIGNED the lease.
    Specter1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2019, 04:08 PM
    If you have not signed a lease agreement and you have not taken possession of the apartment then your deposit should be refunded in full, but how is the rental market in that area? Maybe it might be worth paying an additional month's rent in advance to secure an apartment in what might be a tight rental market. In any case what you are paying is for for rent, not an additional deposit or other unearned fees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue landlord for all rent paid if they aren't the owners [ 8 Answers ]

I started renting this house two years ago from some lady. Just a few days ago I was approached by the person who really owns the house. Can I sue the person I rented from for the past two years for my money back

Paid rent but got evicted halfway through month. Do I get half a months rent back? [ 4 Answers ]

I am getting evicted for noise complaints. I Paid rent on the first of the month, And received the notice on the sencond. I have to be out on the 16th (halfway through the month). I was wondering if I get a half months rent back?

Do I have to pay a full months rent? [ 3 Answers ]

My ceiling fell threw in my 3 bedroom apt 2 days after xmas its been 3 1/2 weeks I have already paid half of my rent should I pay all of it ? Or should I only be charged for a 2 bedroom?

Moving out do I have to pay my last months rent, if I paid it in my sec. Dep? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm moving out of my apartment Dec 1st and I want to know, if I paid my last months rent when I paid my security deposit, does it mean I don't have to pay rent for the last month that I'm living here. I gave my 30 day notice, and it was my choice to move out. Please advise.

View more questions Search