Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pennywise2chang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2019, 07:00 AM
    Does being classified exempt mean a salary increase
    I was told that I don't qualify to be exempt. I've been on my job for 22+ years and supervise 2 part time folks. My title is executive assistant/office manager. I've spoken with the supervisor and she told me that all staff don't qualify to be exempt, but the last 2-3 new hires have been hires as exempt. I was told by an outside person that if the company reclassified my position as exempt, they would have to pay me more money. Is this correct?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 16, 2019, 12:19 PM
    That's a question only your boss can answer as a companies policy on pay scales is exclusive to them. I found this though,

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/wh...mployee-525701

And

https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/fs17a_overview.pdf

Hope it explains it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 22, 2019, 07:54 AM
    If your job does get reclassified as exempt it does not automatically mean a pay raise. You would begin to earn a salary rather than an hourly wage, so no more overtime pay. Quite often when an employ is reclassified there is a bit of a bump in net pay, in recognition of expanded responsibilities together with the elimination of any overtime pay, but it would depend on the HR practices of the company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary Exempt [ 2 Answers ]

I live in California and have been with my company for 10 years. I am classified as a salary exempt exempt employee and last week was told that we no longer have designated sick and vacation hours but now all our hours are lumped together as PTO. The new requirement is that I punch the time...

2 questions about exempt salary pay [ 9 Answers ]

1. Can a company, in the state of Virginia, not pay you for not turning in a time sheet? 2. Can a company deduct pay for being late?

Salary Exempt Holiday/Sick Pay [ 2 Answers ]

I am a Salary Exempt employee. I was provided with two weeks vacation pay, but no personal or sick days. When I have missed work due to illness I have had to use my vacation days to cover the missed time. Is this legal? Also, when the Owner of the company I work for decided to close for the day...

Exempt and non-exempt salary [ 2 Answers ]

I know that non-exempt salary employees are paid for overtime. What is the federal legal requirement for an exempt employee. i.e. management?

Salary Exempt -vs- Salary Non-Exempt [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what makes a position Salary Exempt -vs- Non-Exempt.

View more questions Search