Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2019, 09:06 AM
    Zacharias and Mary
    Here's a question to play with. Pure speculation, but why not. In Luke 1, when Zacharias questions Gabriel, the angel gets miffed and strikes him mute. He'll stay that way until John is born.

Further on, the same angel gives his message to Mary. Mary questions him, and Gabriel patiently explains the answer.

If he didn't like humans questioning him, why didn't he punish Mary the way he did Zacharias?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2019, 09:39 AM
    If memory serves me correctly, Zacharias' question was one of doubt while Mary's question was not in doubt but that she was astonished.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2019, 08:16 PM
    What Oliver said. Works for me.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2019, 08:29 AM
    If memory serves me correctly, Zacharias' question was one of doubt while Mary's question was not in doubt but that she was astonished.
    I've heard that as the usual answer, but I'm wondering where it comes from. I don't see any indicators regarding either question in the immediate context.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2019, 09:04 AM
    It's probably lost in translation from Hebrew to English. The English interpretation doesn't match up well to Hebrew.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2019, 07:27 AM
    Uh, it's in Greek, not Hebrew, and the texts are pretty straightforward.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2019, 08:14 AM
    Well there you go. I have exhausted my knowledge on the subject.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2019, 10:47 PM
    Maybe the Hebrew (Aramaic) originally spoken by the actors in the story had the answer but not the Greek. Or maybe Zachariah was an old curmudgeon who was often cranky, while Mary was a sweet young thing whose youthful innocence appealed to all - even angels. In other words, I don't know.

I went back to read the story never really having read it carefully. I was struck by how beautiful Luke's imagery is - how the baby "leapt in the womb" and how Luke described Mary as "the handmaid(en) of the Lord". Beautiful phrases. Good post.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Apr 18, 2019, 03:41 PM

Zechariah had apparently prayed specifically that God would allow he and his wife to have children.
    So, Zechariah's prayer, like Abraham's, Isaac's, Rachel's, Hannah's and others, was heard. The angel was merely announcing to Zechariah that his prayer would be answered. So, he actually doubted God's proclaimed provision and answer to his prayer.

Mary, however, had certainly not ever prayed that she would have a miraculous child out of wedlock, and a virgin had never given birth before, so her questioning is a quite a bit more understandable than that of Zechariah.
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2019, 09:14 AM
    Zechariah had apparently prayed specifically that God would allow he and his wife to have children.
    So, Zechariah's prayer, like Abraham's, Isaac's, Rachel's, Hannah's and others, was heard. The angel was merely announcing to Zechariah that his prayer would be answered. So, he actually doubted God's proclaimed provision and answer to his prayer.

Mary, however, had certainly not ever prayed that she would have a miraculous child out of wedlock, and a virgin had never given birth before, so her questioning is a quite a bit more understandable than that of Zechariah.
    Very good point. I had not thought of it from that angle. Thanks!
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2019, 09:23 AM
    Really a fascinating question. I would venture this.

The questions the two asked were different. Zechariah asked, "How can I be sure of this?" In other words, he was saying that the angel's word for it was not sufficient.

Mary asked, "How will this be, since I am a virgin?" It would seem that Mary's question was more concerned with the process of how she would become pregnant and not so much with the accuracy of the angel's statement.

You could also suggest that the angel would have expected a higher level of faith from Zechariah because of his age and position in ministry. "To whom much is given..."
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2019, 12:21 PM

WalterO, I thought, like others, that was a great answer. Never thought of it that way before. Well said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mary and Kay, Inc. [ 1 Answers ]

Mary and Kay, Inc. a distributor of cosmetics throughout Florida, is in the process of assembling a cash budget for the first quarter of 20x1. The following information has been extracted from the company's accounting records: All sales are on account. Sixty percent of customer accounts are...

Mary Kay Consultant [ 6 Answers ]

I am an Independent Beauty Consultant for Mary Kay and I have invested about $1900 in the inventory. Was that a smart choice? Any suggestions would be great. And what is the best way to conduct this business??

'All About Mary' [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know the name of the protagonist in 'All About Mary'

Why do you think Mary always looks sad? [ 1 Answers ]

In pictures, statues, in apparitions she is crying tears or blood, the sighting of Mary above the church in Egypt people described her as looking sorrowful... why do you think that is?

View more questions Search