Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unfeigned18 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2019, 06:21 PM
    And how exactly would I go about putting myself in position that doesn't look like I am running away? I am not going to just go to college and spend a whole bunch of money on something when I don't know if it is really something I want to do, and I don't think I would fair too well in the military. Besides I am not trying to run from my situation, I am trying to move towards a better future and I just don't see a future where I am. My problems aren't even all with my dad, but where I live, how I live, lack of space, lack of freedom, lack of opportunities, lack of friendship, just so much lack.

Tell me if you were in my position what would you do?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2019, 06:53 PM
    Do you have a plan worked out? where to go, where to live, how to pay your bills (being realistic as to money needed). Do you have car and health insurance?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 17, 2019, 03:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do you have a plan worked out? where to go, where to live, how to pay your bills (being realistic as to money needed). Do you have car and health insurance?
    It is rather a difficult thing to leave the comfort and support of home and taking on the responsibilities of supporting ones self on a low paying job. Some type of job training may well be needed, so I fully agree with a thoughtful exit plan before you jump out there in the wilderness. It's a fact that most young people who leave home, end up back at home now a days, and feel bad about it. That money you saved will go quickly once you start paying rent.

Apr 17, 2019, 08:55 AM
    I have fully planned everything out.
    I planned to move out sometime in August or even a little before then.
    I have a goal of saving $1000 a month, and should have anywhere between $4000-$7000 to start with.
    I often get odd jobs such as pet sitting, babysitting, etc.
    My dad and I also have a bunch of metals to take to the scrap yard and if I help with that I get half of the profits.
    I am not get against hard work or job well done.
    As for car insurance I have not yet learned to drive, and I think that is mainly because I hate studying and taking tests. How I ever managed to graduate with straight A's and 3-4 Bs I don't know. I know that means that I have to take other forms of transportation into consideration and the costs, but for me that isn't really an issue. My main concern is the heart issues, not the financial.

As for training, the town where I planned to move to offers me the opportunity to become an EA and they provide the training.
    And where I live they are always offering courses such as, first aid, WHIMS, food safe, etc. and paying for these courses won't be an issue for because my grandparents saved money up for some post secondary school education.
    Expert

Apr 17, 2019, 09:35 AM
    Despite the confusion of your heart, you certainly seem to have the practical logical stuff down pretty pat. I think you will deal with your "heart" issues pretty well too.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Apr 17, 2019, 10:11 AM
    And how exactly would I go about putting myself in position that doesn't look like I am running away?
    The town where I planned to move to offers me the opportunity to become an EA
    That's good. Sounds like a well thought out plan. Sounds like your Dad is going through, (early) Empty nest syndrome.

Your not trying to figure out "how to leave home without your fathers permission".

No longer focus on the past. Get excited about your goals, becoming an EA, Going on an adventure, entering a training program etc...Make up stuff if you have too.

This is your life, it is your new beginning. Allow your parents (and others) to draw off your energy. In other words, don't draw a path of moving out (with or without Dads permission). Involve your parents with apartment hunting, ask questions. Let them know that you will need help (in fact you should understand that you will indeed need help).

Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 17, 2019, 11:16 AM
    Good planning, Unfeigned18! Now, how are you planning to peel yourself away from your dad and siblings? (I'm guessing you would have told your mom already.) You'll just disappear? You'll tell them as you walk out the door? You'll send an email later? And what will your dad do when he realizes you're gone? Alert the police -- or not, since you're an adult? Will he be enraged, or just brokenhearted?

Apr 17, 2019, 12:06 PM
    Wondergirl that is exactly my problem, knowing how to leave without hurting my family. I understand the financial responsibilities of the situation and I understand the toll it will have on my heart, but I care about their hearts too.
    Expert

Apr 17, 2019, 12:11 PM
    Just curious, since your mom knows of your plans, if she has some helpful suggestions? Some human drama is unavoidable, but usually the emotional dust settles with time. Dad's can be stubborn though.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 17, 2019, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfeigned18 View Post
    Wondergirl that is exactly my problem, knowing how to leave without hurting my family. I understand the financial responsibilities of the situation and I understand the toll it will have on my heart, but I care about their hearts too.
    How far away will you be living? Would Dad accept a try-out period? Would he go with you to an intermediary/counselor/pastor to discuss this? I would really like it if he finally came around.

Interestingly enough, every evening for two hours I message with a 26-year-old guy who has Asperger's and is in the same bind as you with his dad. His heart broke for you and he wants regular updates from me as to how you're doing.

Apr 17, 2019, 04:55 PM
    Wow, it is kind of the young man to care for me in this matter, and it is nice to know that I am not the only one struggling with this situation, even if it is not a pleasant experience.

On the topic of a trial period, and or seeing a counselor, or pastor, I don't know if my dad would be willing. My dad can be quite stubborn and doesn't tend to listen or agree with someone's ideas, thoughts, etc. unless they are his own, or they come from a male who he sees as wise.

The farthest I would be living is 3 hours away from my hometown. I still want to be able to visit my family on some sort of regular basis.

I have decided that I going to write down what I want to say to my dad and ask of him, and talk to him on the hour long road trip to the train station. I am going to a close family friends place for Easter weekend, and it could be a good time to talk with him, and allow him to have a cooling down period before I come home again.

I would love to keep you up to date on what is going on. One of my favorite things about this site is that you can gain other perspectives, and get new ideas, and learn from other people's experiences. And yes I agree I would like my dad to be okay with this too, but in the end like so many people have already said it is my decision.

Apr 17, 2019, 05:02 PM
    talaniman My mom is drowned in her own misery that she doesn't know what to do or think. One thing is certain though. My mom knows how I feel and sees what is happening, because my dad treats her the same, and she wants me to go and be free, so that I don't end up stuck and miserable too. She is very supportive of me in this, and her only piece of advice through all of this is to just do it, because this should not be as stressful as it has been made, and she and I both won't know what will happen until I just do it. My mom has been giving me life advice and teaching me little banking tips and tricks preparing me, and I am very thankful for her love, kindness, patience, and understanding through this whole process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Application For Leave Approval On Saturdays [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Greetings! I'm required to write an application to the management asking for the leave approval on saturdays as I'm shifted to IT department and now I'm supposed to work 5 days in a week. For that I need to take a written approval from the management. I've never been through such...

My dads girlfriend is ruining me and my dads relationship [ 20 Answers ]

My parents have been divorced since I can remember; I was about 3 at the time. Mum dated a few times but now she has a boyfriend who I get along with. He has his boundaries and would never come between me and my mother's relationship. But my dad's girlfriend is another story. They have been...

Can I leave uae while credit shield claims still for approval [ 0 Answers ]

Lately I loss my job (end of service notice). I filed a credit shield claim for my outstanding on credit card and after my residence visa was cancelled. Now the claim still in process. I have an emergency situation to attend to in india.can I leave uae with the situation that my claim still in...

Is the body maintain that shape and that tight muscles when we leave the gym? [ 2 Answers ]

I join the gym just two months later but my elders asked me to leave because they think that body shape changes when we leave the gym after continuing for few months. Is that correct or not?

Procedure to leave and enter US after oct after h1b approval [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I got my h1b approved in June.I planned to go to india in June but could not go... now that I planned to go to india and return before October 1 I have an emergency and will not be able to go to india and return before October 1... Can anyone tell me the procedure to leave and enter US...

View more questions Search