Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ruth dickey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2019, 02:07 AM
    Electrical outlet, safe?
    We had a electrician install a 250-125 volt, 30 amp socket,outlet4 prong male in our wellhouse,back in ,1999,this was never attachedto the wellhouse wall, there was no cover on it, this was just sitting, on the dirt floor,there is slight surface rust, on the back of the metal outlet, several years ago I wrapped,this up in heavy plastic, and put a brick under it, is this oulet safe? is there a way,to test, the outlet itself? we do know that, no moisture got into it,but concerned that dust or tiny bugs,may have compromised it? I will also call the electrician company that installed it,to ask there opinion. Since this is for a lot of electrical juice,I'm concerned. Any thoughts? thank you, for your imput. The face of the outlet,is normal,no rust or corrosion,just surface rust,on the back plate.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2019, 03:04 AM
    So the electrician that installed it violated two codes, did not attach to the structure, and left it with no cover? If you see surface rust, then there is corrosion inside the receptacle, and needs to be replaced. I would suggest you call in an electrician, not the same one, since seems they do not know how to install an outlet properly, mount the box onto a structure at a level that is higher that water level , replace the receptacle device, and install a proper cover.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2019, 09:20 AM
    Please direct the new contractor to take out a construction permit and
    have his work inspected. If that had been done twenty years ago you might
    not be doing it fixing it now...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hy dose one electrical outlet make my ac adapter run hotter than another electrical o [ 2 Answers ]

Why dose one electrical outlet make my ac adapter run hotter than another electrical outlet? Two different AC adapters showed the same heating tendency. Multimetered both outlets the hot one runs at 122 v the other is at 120 v. I can't see that the voltage would cause the AC adapter to run...

Electrical outlet wiring/switched outlet? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to fix the wiring in an outlet in the master bedroom of the house we just bought. Currently there is a 3 gang swtich at the entrance to the bedroom. We were told two of the 3 switches controlled the fan & light for a ceiling fan lamp that was removed by the previous owner. We were...

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

View more questions Search