Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rbrown6888 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2019, 05:12 PM
    1099 contractor requirements for expenses and per diem
    We pay travel expense to our contractors with a per diem for meals. It is my understanding that if the contractor provides receipts, then it is not considered taxable income and you do not need to report it on their 1099. The per diem is based on the location traveled per the GSA website. Is this considered 1099 MISC income?

Please advise.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2019, 06:13 PM
    There are two aspects of your reimbursement: Accountable and NOT Accountable.

The Accountable portion is the airfare and hotel for which you get receipts from the contractors. That portion is NOT taxable.

The NOT Accountable portion is the meal per diem. That part IS taxable, but if the contractor claims the same per diem on his Schedule C, he will get a 50% deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Independent Contractor (1099-MISC) Per Diem Issue [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am an independent contractor (sole proprieter) nearing the end of my first year of business. I am a Petroleum Landman and receive a daily rate plus per diem. We, the contractors, submit invoices that breakdown our daily rate, $35 food per diem, $70 lodging per diem, and $10...

Do we issue a 1099 Misc to a independent contractor for travel expenses? [ 1 Answers ]

This contractor will only have travel expenses reimbursed and no service income. I am confused as to the company is required to give a 1099-misc at the end of the year for his travel expenses.

Tracking expenses as Independent Contractor (W2/1099 split) [ 2 Answers ]

I started working as an independent contractor in January for the first time. My main gig averages about 30 billable hours per week and is a clear 1099 situation. I think I have a good understanding of what I can deduct for expenses, insurance, etc on the 1099 front. I've now taken a second gig...

Per Diem for Contractor on 1099-Misc [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Canadian Citizen came from Canada to VA state for a short term 2 months contract which was further extended to 6 months, in 2006 I was paid hourly rate, and my pay was on 1099-misc form Question 1) Can I claim per diem as when I asked from my employer, he told me that you can do so in...

Per Diem for Contractor [ 1 Answers ]

I am employed by a VA based staffing company and at present I am working as a contractor at CA. I hold H1B visa and my legal status in the U.S. is non resident alien. Due to nature of my job, I am required to relocate at least twice a year. My question is that if I am working on an assignment which...

View more questions Search